C8 MKII

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: C8 MKII

Post by ianblyth »

I bought a C5 Malvern - gold bracelet with black dial. It is a classic look but I think the white date wheel spoils it. It would have been better if it had been black with white numbers. If that is not possible then I would have preferred it with no date wheel at all and juts enjoyed the clean minimal lines.

Perhaps if enough people ask then they may do something.

Ian
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The latest drawings of the C8MKII. Still no word on projected release date.

For specs please refer to page 1 of this thread.

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Looking good! Although it seems to have evolved quite a long way from the original and the prototype MkII...

In fact the case looks more like a C5 Aviator than the original C8. The 'duck' has lost its' eyes and the hands have lost their blue edges.

All in all though, an attractive watch IMHO, and definitely still on the list for 2010 (black on black)! :D
Richard
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

I like the general look, but shame about the white date wheel on the black face yet again. What happened to the blued hands?
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

alphajet wrote:I like the general look, but shame about the white date wheel on the black face yet again. What happened to the blued hands?
To be honest I don't think the white date looks out of place on the black faced models because of all the white on the dial, especially the numerals. If the date was black it might unbalance the look. I would also keep the crown from the original C8

However, I think this looks more like a Mark III C5 rather than a Mark II C8. In fact it looks like another IWC homage!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Applied detail on the dial or printed? I would hope that the details would be raised to get away from the 'flat' effect of the Mk1 (sic) C8
That said,its a very promising design.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Bonny
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Bonny »

I like the look of that, somehow manages to combine modern and classic in some way, very clean looking. Agree with previous poster that blued hands would be nice...
C4SRS C3SWK C2LE No.24 C7STT C15RKK C5AKK C3GWTR C40SKK C70GB C600IPB C600IPY C60-GMT-SKKO C70FR C5RWT C9-CHR C8SWK C11 Auto C60 Jag C7 MkII BRG C90
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Very nice looking, update the bracelet as well and it could be as big a seller as Steinhart's Nav B range.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
audiophilia
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by audiophilia »

Looks amazing. Great job!
Twitter

LinkedIN

www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile

www.e46toronto.ca
Canada's premier BMW forum
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tooks »

Looks quite 'Bremont-ish' to my eye, no bad thing! :)
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
wilko
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by wilko »

what happened to the c8 style case? looks like a c5 mk 2 imho.saying that i do like them.black dial and black strap for me please. :D
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

These look like my type of watch, I have a black C8, the cream MKII is looking good!!
MorrisOx
Guru
Guru

Post by MorrisOx »

I'd say that's pretty close to being spot-on as a homogenous, well-proportioned design.

Couple of observations.

It renders a C5 Aviator MkII redundant - the similarity in style and proportions is obvious.

It isn't clear whether the case would have a brushed finish. It needs it - the plain 316 finish is unsophisticated.

As I've said elsewhere, a faceted (rather than printed) face and good ati-reflective coating on the glass will provide the kind of discreet sophistication the design begs for.
C5 Malvern Aviator LE
C8 Pilot Mk1 004
C3 Malvern Chrono
C4 Peregrine 'Phoenix'
Eterna Airforce
Steinhart Nav B Chrono II
Steinhart Ocean One GMT
Bulova Moonwatch
Marloe Coniston Bluebird
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
Longines Master Chrono Moonphase
downer

Post by downer »

MorrisOx wrote:I'd say that's pretty close to being spot-on as a homogenous, well-proportioned design.

Couple of observations.

It renders a C5 Aviator MkII redundant - the similarity in style and proportions is obvious.

It isn't clear whether the case would have a brushed finish. It needs it - the plain 316 finish is unsophisticated.

As I've said elsewhere, a faceted (rather than printed) face and good ati-reflective coating on the glass will provide the kind of discreet sophistication the design begs for.
Agree with all those points. Add blued edges on the hands and the job's a good 'un!
Richard
TXAG96
Senior
Senior

Post by TXAG96 »

This is certainly a "dressed up" update to the C8. It's a very clean design, but I miss the color from the original C8. The seconds hand on the current C8 white face gives it a little pop. In fact, it was the use of primary colors on the off white face that really attracted me to the C8, which I'm still waiting to be delivered. I think the blue superlum on the black face accomplishes the same thing...bold color to make the C8 a distinctive watch in it's own right rather than a less expensive version of an existing timepiece already on the market.

Having said my piece on the current C8 ...I like this update. My only quibble would be that the face may look a little flat. Perhaps dropping or raising an inner ring just past the numbers would give the face some depth. It's a very classic looking watch. The C8 is moving toward the Malvern rather than the Speedhawk. Is the C8 supposed to be a sporty or dressy model in 2010? The biggest plus in my opinion is the addition of the bracelet. As a resident of the highly humid city of Houston, the bracelet is a must. I'm just planning on replacing my C8 leather strap annually...if it even makes it that long. Trust me. Here we don't perspire...we sweat!
Oris BC 3 Day/Date
CW C8SWT
CW C20LE-SWS
Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
CW S30-ROM-SWK Victoria Deco