C8 Regulator

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

C8 Regulator

Post by Kip »

C8 Regulator

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes

Re: C8 Regulator

Post by androo »

Been wanting CW to make a regulator for a while but think I would prefer it as a C9. But well done for making it
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

This seems a somewhat brave design for CW to produce... I mean, the market for this form can't be large?

I love it as a concept, just not as a practical piece.

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

I missed the initial unveiling of this. Like it a lot, and agree that it seems bold on CWL's part to go ahead with it. I don't know that I would get one, but that's not to say that there wouldn't be any temptation.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
JestersInc
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by JestersInc »

Put my name down for one...
v8power
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by v8power »

androo wrote:Been wanting CW to make a regulator for a while but think I would prefer it as a C9. But well done for making it
Same here. Regulator for me is a suit watch, but not this pilot style. But it's boldly style, I don't even know any of pilot-styled regulators.

This one is irreproachable regulator IMO.

Watch out :)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^I also think a regulator should look more elegant. Personally, I don't like black PVD or Old Radium lume.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Another one for dress style. I kept on mentioning the regulator style in the yearly questionnaire and I can safely say I didn't expect it to be pilot style. Not that I don't like it, but it is different.....
v8power
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by v8power »

I bet Chris thinking this way:

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Being a relative novice when it comes to watches I must investigate the history and ethos of a Regulator.

However, if the general practice is for a Regulator to be in a formal / dress case e.g. C9 style, isn't this a good reason for CWL to go left field?

Additionally, we have the C900, JH and, now, World Timer in the C9 case, so to use the C10 aviator case makes sense, IMHO.

PS> I quite like the Regulator and of the three new releases, is the one of most interest to me as a possible purchase.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 4 beta
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JestersInc
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by JestersInc »

I agree the C10 / Aviator look certainly suits the regulator, it reminds me of some sort of aviation gauge in a old ww2 bomber.

what I understand about regulators, they use to be very accurate large wallclocks in watchmaker shops, this way when the apprentices were setting the time and looking at the accuracy of the watches they had a single reference point, also that is partly the reason for the focus on the large minute display.

Please correct me if I am missing the history
v8power
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by v8power »

JestersInc wrote: Please correct me if I am missing the history
First regulators was a tower clocks - reference for all city. But it's predecessors was an astronomy-lab clocks. First known kind of this clocks is from XVIII Century.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Just don't "get" watch varieties which make telling the time more difficult...
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I never used to get weird time telling either but in a funny way, telling the time in a different fashion has become more attractive recently. It must either be a sign that my tastes are evolving to appreciate different styles or that they have become jaded and need newer and more obscure styles to maintain interest.

I do like the regulator and don't mind that it has been placed in a pilot style. I do agree that it would look good also in the C9 case and applaud the introduction of yet another hand wind piece.
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

I rather like the Aviator style and quite like the vintage lume, but see this as an occasional novelty piece.

I do think CW is to be applauded for bringing it out, particularly in hand-wind.

Personally though, as it is a novelty, price will be the big determinator. If it is priced right I'm in!