New watches

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: New watches

Post by Drmarkf »

...and we mustn't forget also that all the bricks-and-mortar brand dealers are amenable to negotiation over the price (-10% without even trying). I've never heard of anyone succeeding with Wera on that one!
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

downer wrote:The truth is, there are a lot of people on this forum who can easily remember the prices of earlier CW watches. In those times, just 3 or 4 years ago, a C7 Chrono quartz was < £200.

The reconciliation between that price and the positioning of the latest releases is a hurdle to be overcome, because, as far as I can see, there is no new added value in the watches - the specifications are fundamentally the same (COSC versions excepted), and the backup/warranty has always been top notch.

There is no doubt that watches from other brands have also increased in the same period, but I suspect CW's increases are larger (percentage-wise) than most others.

I also think CW's pricing policy has changed a bit... In the early days, the prices were low, but fixed, whereas these days, I think they are pricing in a regular sale/discount policy. Nothing wrong in that, but it needs to borne in mind.
That is a fair comment - I suspect though that some of that price adjustment is CWL learning the market and their position in it - perhaps better to see the early years as a huge bargain for those who bought then - and the current / future period as a more realistic pricing strategy? I would admit that if the increase carried on year on year - then there will come a time when they will be in a different comparison discussion with the 'big brands' but they are far off at the moment - and for now the discussion seems to be price v brand - not price v quality; I don't mind paying a price appropriate for the quality, even if the brand doesn't have that price level expectation - much prefer that over paying a higher price for a 'known brand' where you are paying for the brand and actually over-paying for the quality...
Drmarkf wrote:...and we mustn't forget also that all the bricks-and-mortar brand dealers are amenable to negotiation over the price (-10% without even trying). I've never heard of anyone succeeding with Wera on that one!
I walked into a friend's house wearing the C20 before Christmas - he immediately phoned CWL to buy one for his son for Christmas - he persuaded them to give him the £50 voucher discount, even though he didn't have a voucher... (the fact that Wera was selling the vouchers at 0.99p on ebay might have helped!) - so... ;)

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

downer wrote:The truth is, there are a lot of people on this forum who can easily remember the prices of earlier CW watches. In those times, just 3 or 4 years ago, a C7 Chrono quartz was < £200.
Absolutely agree.
akirk wrote:I suspect though that some of that price adjustment is CWL learning the market and their position in it - perhaps better to see the early years as a huge bargain for those who bought then - and the current / future period as a more realistic pricing strategy?
Not if Chris is adhering to his own Honest Pricing policy viz:
Our passionate belief in “honest pricing” means that the selling price of a Christopher Ward watch is between 2 and 3 times the base manufacturing price.
This statement has not changed over the years. Have manufacturing prices risen that dramatically over the last couple of years?

I know that it's de riguer to have mission statements but Chris also needs to be mindful of his desire that they (CW) wanted to create..."the cheapest most expensive watches in the world."

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

I think though that it is difficult to really pin down the cost of a watch...
- is it the cost of physically making one watch - parts / labour
- does it also include a pro-rata of head-office costs / R&D / sales (whatever the channels) / website / returns / etc.

has the cost of manufacturing gone up - probably yes...
have the other costs gone up - yes, and not just that simply - the costs of running CWL will have increased as the company gets bigger...

I do a lot of business consultancy with starts ups - the biggest challenge for a company is going from a small sleek operation with few overheads - to a more established company, employing more people / with the resources to build a stable future - you can still have the same ethos of the cheapest most expensive watches in the world, but as the nature of the company changes and grows, so do some of the costs - and to open up what is on offer to a wider range of people / to provide more models (as well all seem to want!) needs the resources to invest in the business... So, while initially there was a business model which could put out watches with a very thin margin, I suspect a more robust business model is in place and that means higher costs - but the great thing is that it also increases the chance of the company still being here in 20 / 50 / 100 years time...

I can see that for those with a longer association with the company there is a difference being seen... but for those coming to it more recently I am not sure that there is a mismatch between their mission statement and what is on offer... My comments above about finding their place in the market could be seen a adjusting price to find the highest that sells - I don't think that is what I am meaning - rather, that they are maturing into the company they wish to be and therefore finding their place in the market if that makes sense!

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Thanks. I understand now........shifting sands.

scooter
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

scooter wrote:Thanks. I understand now........shifting sands.

scooter
You understand more than I then! I can quite happily translate Virgil, read Cervantes and Racine and discuss my dinner in Lisbon or Rome, but the minute someone starts in on bizspeak, technobabble or politiglot I glaze over! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

AVO

I was being ironical (I think).

I didn't understand much at all except that it appeared to be an attempt to make the situation fit the facts. Or the other way round.

Who knows.

scooter
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

We'll just carry on doing what we're good at, scooter - buying watches! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

I'm with you there my friend.

That and my scooter rides keep me a very happy man.

PS Did I use the word 'ironical' in the correct context?

scooter
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

I read something about New ceramic cased watches in the mag I think? Haven't seen or read anything about them on here though...

--
Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Dandjjohnson
CW-watches: 3

Post by Dandjjohnson »

Ok, pleased to see we have moved from business speak and back to new watches!
No, I understand the interest in discussing where CWL has come from and heading to, especially for us newbies.
I am interested in these ceramic offerings! Especially the aviation series. What are the pros and cons of ceramic? Lighter, more scratch resistant I presume. Do they require other changes to the watch design, for example strap fittings?
Just wondered, good to ask now and not while I'm queuing for a CW C? Typhoon in Maidenhead this Autumn!

Is it too early to start my Christmas list......
JJ

Has: C8 MkII, C7 (RAF) MkI, W7

Interested in: C4, C5, C700
watchguy3
CW-watches: 3

Post by watchguy3 »

I'm fairly new to CW. Didn't know the brand existed until last year so I don't know the long-term history of the brand in terms of pricing. I can only say that I think you get a lot of watch for the money with CW. I've purchased 3 in the last 6 months and have been very impressed with the quality for the price. I have many different watch brands in my collection but CW has won me over. I will be buying additional CW watches in 2013.
Degams

Post by Degams »

I hope to see something in the 43-44mm range. I love the C8 MKII but woul like to see it with a bit more polish so it fits casual and dress. I was hopeful the Typhoon would hit this mark but am thinking it'll follow the instrument theme, based on the aircraft reference.
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

Degams wrote:I hope to see something in the 43-44mm range. I love the C8 MKII but woul like to see it with a bit more polish so it fits casual and dress. I was hopeful the Typhoon would hit this mark but am thinking it'll follow the instrument theme, based on the aircraft reference.
I think the C9 series pretty well covers that ground.
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
sparksgo
Junior
Junior

Post by sparksgo »

Degams wrote:I hope to see something in the 43-44mm range. I love the C8 MKII but woul like to see it with a bit more polish so it fits casual and dress. I was hopeful the Typhoon would hit this mark but am thinking it'll follow the instrument theme, based on the aircraft reference.
I would think the not yet released Worldtimer GMT will probably fit the bill....may not fit the budget though!! Could be pricy$$$...I'm hoping it's closer to the jump hour than the single push chrono.
...my friends call me Bubba-

Collection thus far:
Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT
LumiNox 3000 (yellow)
Swiss Legend Sport SL (black)
CWL:
C60 Trident Pro - NATO