Quality Man - May 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Quality Man
Senior
Senior

Quality Man - May 2021

Post by Quality Man »

Hi all,

Just joined the forum so thought I would do a quick introductory SOTC.

I have had a lifelong love of watches but didn’t start collecting what I would class as ‘nice’ watches until relatively recently, late 2015 I think. As a young man in the late eighties I hankered after a Tag Heuer, I never managed to buy that watch. Fast forward a couple of decades or so and there was only one watch I would buy so here it is. Not a brand universally liked but that doesn’t matter to me, it’s a great watch to wear.

Next up was my first Hamilton, I think the brand gives excellent value for money (I think CW beats it though!), I wanted a Chrono, I liked the look of it plus the price was right, I am a fan of the 7750 wobble!

Although the Tag and the Hamilton are lovely watches I didn’t feel as though I had scratched the luxury watch itch so along came the Omega, wasn’t too keen on the bracelet so it went onto the nato fairly quickly, I love the look. Seems ridiculous that I thought watches worth hundreds of pounds were not ‘luxury’ but the quality of the Omega is in another league.

The next Hamilton was my wedding watch, bought for me by my wife and did the job perfectly. Can’t say I am a dress watch person so it doesn’t get worn often but I think it is a beautiful watch and has huge sentimental value.

I love the look of seventies chronographs but are not brave enough to go vintage, the Pan Europ re-issue was perfect, I have had my eye on this watch for a number of years so when my wife said she would buy it for me as a present for my fiftieth how could I refuse! 45mm but wears great due to the small dial and short lugs.

My first CW next. I have to say I did not have any interest in CW until the Super Compressor came out, it’s a striking design and knew I had to have one. The quality is something else at the price point and it has been my most worn watch since I got it.

So that’s the collection, humble compared to some but all these watches represent something special to me and will never be sold. As for the future? I have more than enough watches but the Sealander GMT is rather nice isn’t it!

Jonathan
AE73B548-C7CE-4F04-B993-13523A0D4EFA.jpeg
D7C3C80E-1EF5-4AAD-BC45-18D3DA88CC67.jpeg
5B404D4C-F24D-4B47-A8DA-24D58A686D2B.jpeg
7E4FE694-E508-4BC7-9585-572389A7E1B6.jpeg
FD219B8C-3CB1-45C8-823E-A174B03181E1.jpeg
3590F80B-EB08-4C40-ABAF-F9B7AC27375C.jpeg
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: Quality Man - May 2021

Post by welshlad »

As I mentioned on your Intro thread, this is a lovely collection. There is lots to like, but I'm most drawn to the Pan Europ. It's such a striking watch that is just that little bit "different". A kinda regret passing up the chance to buy the blue version when it was first (re)released, mistakenly thinking it must be too big for me because of the 45mm case size, whereas I now know it would have been fine due to the short lug-to-lug and smaller dial size. Ah well, you live and learn.

I hope we get to see more of your collection in due course. :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s a wonderful collection! I’d be thrilled to have any one of them in my watch box. Welcome to the forum. A SOTC is a great way to introduce yourself.
Drew
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

What an excellent and tailored collection - thanks for sharing 8)
Nice stories behind the watches too :thumbup:
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

What a solid collection!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by ciclismosam »

Lovely collection! I particularly like the Seamaster, Pan-Europ, & Super compressor. Overall a really nice balance of different vibes going on there.
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Welcome aboard! What a fine collection it is too.
Great collections have the watches that mean something to us in whatever way they come. Others can please themselves and we do.
And yes the Sealander GMT is indeed rather nice...

Looking forward to the contributions you want to make and your journey with watches whether it is enjoying what you have, or disappearing down the rabbit hole with so many of us. :)
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A decent collection. They all look good. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Six really nice watches, photographed really well. Really like the viewmatic, what a gorgeously executed watch. You could stop there and be very satisfied I'd imagine. The question is will you? Cheers Jonathan...

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Nice collection. Yet another person drawn into the world of watches by Tag, as indeed I was myself. I no longer own one but do have a soft spot for the brand.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Great collection, I'd have any of them. Thanks for taking the time and sharing :thumbsup:
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Thanks for the story and photos of your collection. Somewhat similar story to myself in terms of always liking watches but only really getting into them in the past 5 or so years. My first "good" watch was also a Tag.

I too have always thought the Pan Europ looked really original but that it would be way too large. Maybe not.

Some other cracking watches too, I agree about the enjoyment of the 7750 wobble!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Welcome to the forum. You have some great watches there.

I secretly have a bit of a thing for the utilitarian look of the steel-bezel Tag watches. (secret no more :D)
I've never owned one, but definitely wouldn't rule it out.

I also own the same Super Compressor, but have coveted the SMPc for quite some time.
What struck me seeing them in the same post, is that the CW holds up so well.
Hard pressed to choose a favourite between these two, but for me, they are the standouts in your group.
Ryan
Quality Man
Senior
Senior

Post by Quality Man »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. With ref to the Pan Europ, it is as large as I would go on my seven inch wrist and when I first put it on it feels like a big old lump, couple of days and I get used to it then I don’t want to take it off! As for the CW, I was astounded by the quality when I got it, the case finishing is certainly not too far away from the Omega.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

welcome to our forum and great collection! Would anything depart when you add another Christopher Ward?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy