ciclismosam - May 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

ciclismosam - May 2021

Post by ciclismosam »

StrappedUp wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:15 am I could happily live with a 2 watch collection made up of the Bremont and Exp.
Some heavyweights in that first box, but I really do have a thing for the contents of the military box.
Curious, is the Seiko an official military piece or was it just a particular model that became popular because of the robustness?
Every since getting the Speedy and Explorer I have said if I had to get rid of everything and just keep 2 that it would be those. Now I think I would want to extend it to keeping 3. So if I were to purge and go to a simple 3 watch collection my current feeling is I would have the Speedy Pro, Explorer, and Bremont S300 (To be clear I have no plans on such a downsizing/purge).

That is an awesome question regarding the 6105. From everything I know the Seiko 6105 was never an issued watch. I do know of other mil-spec that would have been issued during that time-frame to include possible leftover/late-production A-17's like the Bulova I have or early models built to the spec of those last 2 Hamiltons (MIL-W and GG-W). Based on my research those or or similarly produced watches would have been issued. I also have seen ads from teh Vietnam era for the BX/PX (on base stores) where they were selling 6105's.

So best I can tell they were not issued by the government but could be bought on base and soldiers/airman found they held up better in the humidity of the jungle. My 6105 was actually bought by a USAF Airman in the late 70's at a BX in the US b/c they were stationed in Florida and wanted to learn to scuba. A few years later they were sent to the SW US in the desert and it went into a drawer for years. It later was purchased by a couple of enthusiasts, one after another, before I bought it from one of them. This to me was really nice as through my acquisition it was a nice circle back as I am in the USAF as well. I still have the original crystal in the box though which is kinda cool and have debated having it put back on the watch at some point. (Only things swapped out in servicing so far were the original crystal for a sapphire replacement and new gaskets, otherwise fully original.

Sorry for the lengthy response, but these kind of stories are a lot of what draws me to the collecting.
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
graemeharrison
CW-watches: 1

Re: ciclismosam - May 2021

Post by graemeharrison »

I'm curious to know what you think of the Hodinkee Merci. I'm thinking about buying one.....
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

ciclismosam wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:25 am Sorry for the lengthy response, but these kind of stories are a lot of what draws me to the collecting.
Absolutely no apology necessary. Thank you for the informative response.

It's great that the Seiko has landed back into a Serviceman's hands, and a passionate collector at that.

As you've said you don't wear the military watches that often, I'd agree with you and get the original crystal popped back in for authenticity I think.
Ryan
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

+1 on the "Absolutely no apology necessary". One of the more popular books for watch collectors is A Man And His Watch. That's one of your addendums.
Most of us here have watches with stories, and stories of how the collections came to be - I know I do: in some ways it's what makes the collections more than a bunch of watches. Thanks for sharing! Fascinating stuff.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

ciclismosam - May 2021

Post by ciclismosam »

graemeharrison wrote:I'm curious to know what you think of the Hodinkee Merci. I'm thinking about buying one.....
I really like it honestly. I love the grey dial and white applied numerals. The blue is a perfect contrast and the small details they have done on the dial to differentiate from the normal Merci are tastefully done imo. The classic crystal is also perfect.

As we can see in my collection I love field watches and this is really a more dressed up, style focused take on the genre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
graemeharrison
CW-watches: 1

Post by graemeharrison »

Thanks so much. That is really useful.

Cheers, Graeme