ciclismosam - May 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

ciclismosam - May 2021

Post by ciclismosam »

I have missed being on the forums and sharing in this passion with other likeminded watch fanatics. I recently posted about my newly acquired Bremont and wanted to do a full SOTC so here we are. First the watches that have gone or are on the way out. C60 Trident GMT Mk 2, IWC Spitfire Auto, Zenith el Primeo Chronomaster, Squale 1521 50 atmos.

Something to note as you will all see that I have developed a bit of a thing for Hamilton over time. My great-grandfather's Hamilton pocket watch that always sat in my grandmother's house was passed down to me and clearly started something for me (along with a gift from my parents).

ImageGreat-grandfather's Pocket Watch by ciclismosam, on Flickr

Here is the "main collection"

ImageMain Collection by ciclismosam, on Flickr

Here we have (left to right); late 1930's Gallet Multichron Regulator chronograph, Omega Speedmaster Professional I got for my 30th in 2016, Grand Seiko Snowflake, Bremont S300, Tudor Pelagos, Hamilton Khaki Pilot Day Date, Rolex Explorer 14270 (1999), and Merci x Hodinkee LE.

Next is my Hamilton sub-collection.

ImageHamilton collection by ciclismosam, on Flickr

Again left to right; Khaki auto 38 gifted by my parents early in my military career for a promotion (this watch started me down the rabbit hole of watches), Khaki mechanical in Earth PVD, vintage "signed khaki", LL Bean Khaki mechanical, MIL-W-46374D, GG-W-113, and my Jewel a 1973 W-10.

Currently I am on the hunt for some of the other co-branded khaki mechanicals to go along with the LL Bean. First on my list is Orvis and Brookstone.

And lastly is my military sub-collection.

ImageMilitary collection by ciclismosam, on Flickr

Left to Right. 1918 Waltham Trench watch (WWI/The Great War), 1940's Omega UK2292 (WWII RAF), 1945 Elgin A-11 (WWII USAF), 1950's Bulova A-17 (Korean War USAF), Sekonda "Strela" (USSR pilots/cosmonauts), 1976 Seiko 6105-8119 (Vietnam War USA/USAF) often bought by soldiers when their issued gear couldn't handle the jungle humidity, 1985 Marathon GG-W-113, CWL 51 Squadron Trident LE which takes me back to my 2nd deployment of my USAF career where I had 4 aircrew members that were with us from 51 Squadron, Sinn 856 S UTC I bought at the end of my assignment to Germany and wore for every mission in Afghanistan on my 4th deployment, Hager GMT Commando LE which was a run done by my current work organization.

I have a few random outliers not pictured such as two Sistem51's, two Visitors (Vale Park & Linden), 2017 CWL forum LE, CWL C7 Bluebird, Festina Chrono Bike, a Garmin Fenix, Apple watch, and a couple gifted watches (Vostok Amphibia & Victorinox Inox) that I keep but don't consider part of my collecting. I hope you all enjoyed this update/journey through my collection as it stands today. If anyone wants a closer look as a specific watch just leave a comment and I can snap a solo pic of any watch.
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
https://www.instagram.com/thesambrower/
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: ciclismosam - May 2021

Post by Noush »

Enjoyed this VERY MUCH. Fabulous collection on so many levels, thank you so much for sharing!
You do seem to enjoy a black dial :)
Only the one collection-common watch with mine, and of course it's a Hamilton - the Khaki Field 38 Auto, a go-to-work stalwart of mine.
You really did put a smile on my face with this one. :thumbup:
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru

Post by ciclismosam »

Noush wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:16 am Enjoyed this VERY MUCH. Fabulous collection on so many levels, thank you so much for sharing!
You do seem to enjoy a black dial :)
Only the one collection-common watch with mine, and of course it's a Hamilton - the Khaki Field 38 Auto, a go-to-work stalwart of mine.
You really did put a smile on my face with this one. :thumbup:
Appreciate it Noush, glad to hear you enjoyed. The Khaki 38 really is lovely, I don't wear it often now and I think it is one I'll pass to kid when they come of age and/or join the military & complete training.
Family CWLs: C1 Grand Malvern Moonphase, C1 Worldtimer, C5 Malvern Quartz in Purple, C900 Single Pusher 148/250
My CWLs: C3 Mk II Malvern in Green, C3 2017 FLE 31/50, C60 51 Squadron Trident 300
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Some great pieces there. Your new Bremont is in excellent company!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Fantastic collection! I especially love the military sub-collection.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome back.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Some lovely watches there, well done. That's quite an accumulation for a man of your tender years, 35? Really like the new Bremont as well as the two lines of text Pelagos. That watch looks so much better without the essay at the 6 position.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru

ciclismosam - May 2021

Post by ciclismosam »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Some great pieces there. Your new Bremont is in excellent company!
Thanks AVO, I really like how it fits in.
jkbarnes wrote:Fantastic collection! I especially love the military sub-collection.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome back.
Glad you enjoyed! I find military watches fascinating, probably due in no small part to my own service as well as love of history.
strapline wrote:Some lovely watches there, well done. That's quite an accumulation for a man of your tender years, 35? Really like the new Bremont as well as the two lines of text Pelagos. That watch looks so much better without the essay at the 6 position.

Des
Yep I’m just 35. I’m thankful honestly and it has been a mix of hard work and luck. Joined the military in my early 20’s, was single until I had hit my 30’s. I deployed 4 times (get extra pay compared to normal when deployed) and I’ve twice gotten significant bonuses to agree to extend my time in service. Without those series of events I am certain I would have a 3-5 watch collection at most. Not that I’m saying one should go spend large portions of bonus/extra income on watches....but I did Image

I also can’t understand that novel on the in-house Pelagos and am glad I bought mine before that was even announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Fabulous collection and clearly put together with passion. Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Thank you for posting. Clearly some tough choices when Zenith EP, CW C60 GMT and IWC have to depart
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

What a great collection :thumbup:
The 1918 Waltham Trench watch is very unusual.
I do particularly like the Seiko Snowflake and Bremont S300 :D
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru

Post by ciclismosam »

Viognier wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:25 pm Thank you for posting. Clearly some tough choices when Zenith EP, CW C60 GMT and IWC have to depart
Tough indeed! I love the Zenith EP but unlike my military collection and vintage Hamilton's where I am ok with not wearing them often, for some reason I just feel bad/wrong only wearing the Zenith a handful of times a year. Kind of the same with the IWC. I really enjoyed that watch but I found myself most often wearing the Sinn for work and then I reach for the Hamilton Day Date as much or more than the IWC. Trying to keep my main collection from getting too big so decided to keep it to just a couple aviation watches for now.

I think there comes a point where every time a decision gets made to add or subtract from the collection it is a tough choice and I feel I am at that point now.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

What a superb and interesting collection you have.

The main box contains some fantastic big hitting iconic watches. I'm a bit of a Tudor fan so the Pelagos appeals as does the Explorer but I'd happily own any of those.

Great Hamilton sub collection, I do really like the Khaki auto 38 (on the perfect strap for the watch, which I'm sure is the OEM one). Interesting you have an LL Bean watch, were they a US jewellery store/watch retailer.? I own a couple of Hamiltons myself including the 1980s Valjoux chrono below. It's a fairly rare watch but I have seen an LL Bean version of that on ebay.

Also fascinated to see your military collection, made all the more authentic by the fact you are a serviceman yourself and have worn a few of them in the field. I'm sure Sinn was an efficient companion to you.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru

Post by ciclismosam »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 pm What a superb and interesting collection you have.

The main box contains some fantastic big hitting iconic watches. I'm a bit of a Tudor fan so the Pelagos appeals as does the Explorer but I'd happily own any of those.

Great Hamilton sub collection, I do really like the Khaki auto 38 (on the perfect strap for the watch, which I'm sure is the OEM one). Interesting you have an LL Bean watch, were they a US jewellery store/watch retailer.? I own a couple of Hamiltons myself including the 1980s Valjoux chrono below. It's a fairly rare watch but I have seen an LL Bean version of that on ebay.

Also fascinated to see your military collection, made all the more authentic by the fact you are a serviceman yourself and have worn a few of them in the field. I'm sure Sinn was an efficient companion to you.
Appreciate it! I have some answers for you :) The LL Bean Hamilton was part of a co-branding period for Hamilton. During the 1980's after a full 20-ish years of producing field watches on contract for the US military the government decided to stop ordering these watches in huge volume for issue to military members. Hamilton decided to utilize this field watch expertise by producing co-branded field watches with a number of retail store partners. LL Bean is a US retail store that focuses on outdoorsy clothing and equipment. Hamilton also did co-branded watches with Orvis (fly fishing clothing a gear) and Brookstone (the same stores now in malls/airports). This enabled Hamilton to produce field watches to the same specs to utilize the volume they could output while just slightly changing the dial printing for each retailer.

Really love that Hamilton chrono you shared! The Sinn was really the perfect wrist companion and I still wear it often. I had it engraved when I came back from my 4th deployment as you can see here.
sinn.jpg
ciclismosam
Guru
Guru

Post by ciclismosam »

StrapMeister wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:30 pm What a great collection :thumbup:
The 1918 Waltham Trench watch is very unusual.
I do particularly like the Seiko Snowflake and Bremont S300 :D
I really love to look of many of the Trench watches from WWI. It is clear they were designed before wristwatches were the norm. Often ladies pocket watch movements cased and then with lugs that look like they were soldered on. I find it fascinating. Both the GS and Bremont have shown me that I really do like a nice white dialed watch as well, especially with the right accents.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I could happily live with a 2 watch collection made up of the Bremont and Exp.
Some heavyweights in that first box, but I really do have a thing for the contents of the military box.
Curious, is the Seiko an official military piece or was it just a particular model that became popular because of the robustness?
Ryan