SOTC Iain March 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

SOTC Iain March 2021

Post by iain »

It’s been two years since I last did one of these viewtopic.php?f=64&t=51496
There have been a few ins and outs during that time and this is how things look today. Everything missing since last time has gone with the exception of the Ellesse watch which was an engagement gift from my wife. The battery died so I took it out and stored the watch away, it wasn’t getting worn but is too sentimental not to keep.

First the main box. The Seiko is still there as something I wear when decorating or such activities. It gets about one outing a year but is a handy thing to have.

BAA30C3E-C386-4DBA-907F-8A3785062704.jpeg

First up is the Tag Aquaracer which was the First mechanical watch I bought. Intended as a 40th gift to myself but bought it early when my mum died and I had a life’s too short moment so didn’t wait. It’s got some battle scars now so has inadvertently become my “off out on the beer watch” as I don’t mind if it gets any more. Hope to very soon put it back into regular service.

12DB8308-4153-4344-A186-0EC0384A27E7.jpeg

Next in the box is the super compressor. An impulse buy in the recent sale but the lack of a date means I don’t wear it for work and it has some tough competition for a weekend watch. We’ll see how this one goes over the next few months but it might not stay for ever.

69CA98B7-A4A3-4174-9E20-9DEDC4AF950E.jpeg

Next up my IWC. The difference since last SOTC is the addition of the bracelet. Quite simply the best bracelet I’ve ever seen, not cheap, but worth every penny in my eyes. It’s made this my most worn watch.

69B1C449-905A-43D7-AA54-881B29D77253.jpeg

Next is the El Primero. This was a legacy purchase bought with money from my mum. It’s quite special this one and will never be going anywhere.

7738ABD8-0DB3-4ACA-B0C5-5BEF4BD2FF6F.jpeg
1C5C99CD-2E5B-474F-804E-FD2883ACB37C.jpeg

Finally we have the Damasko which joined the collection from sales corner. Not my most worn watch but I love the engineering behind this. Genuinely feels like it would survive anything. I was intending to get the bracelet when I first bought it, but the addition of a new Hirsch Robby has made me doubt whether I’d actually prefer the bracelet over the strap. The orange looks great in my eyes.

B5805981-6A68-40E1-B8C7-BA4DDAFCB678.jpeg

Next we move to the Bremont collection.

84D881D6-B93B-4298-8D62-80179B9A2BB9.jpeg

First up is the Alt1-ZT. I traded my black S301 Supermarine for this with watchfinder. The Supermarine was a bargain new purchase and I got back exactly what I paid in part ex value after 6 months of wear. This is a big watch and won’t fit under a cuff but it is one of my most worn watches.

49D359B7-78F3-49ED-8196-EFB34AD903F2.jpeg

Then we have the white S300. I love the size of the 40mm Bremonts and had some regrets about letting my S301 go. I prefer the white dial though, it has some detail lacking in the black and this gets worn a lot. I tend to swap between the Bremont nato and the rubber strap. When new the rubber was stiffer than a teenager with a copy of playboy, but it’s broken in nicely now.

D7A7B145-C7C9-4B8E-8CDC-09EDEEE4C48F.jpeg

Finally a recent impulse buy off eBay. The Airco Mach 3. I added the bracelet as it originally came on leather. Another watch worn quite a lot, how much of that is down to it being new remains to be seen.

2411DBBF-B77C-4A88-9C21-C63C9B5E7067.jpeg

If you’re still here then thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed the photos.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: SOTC Iain March 2021

Post by Thegreyman »

That is a very nice collection Iain.

The Aquaracer is one of my favourite Tags, a very nice "beater" for wearing to the pub. I have tried on both the Mark XVIII and EP at AD's in the past and was tempted by both.

What's next for you?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Thanks for sharing, all great looking watches :thumbsup:
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:53 pm Next is the El Primero...
To my eyes, one of the most beautiful chronographs to be had! Just stunning!

iain wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:53 pm Finally we have the Damasko...but the addition of a new Hirsch Robby has made me doubt whether I’d actually prefer the bracelet over the strap. The orange looks great in my eyes.
The strap compliments the watch perfectly. I’m a big fan of Hirsch’s performance series. Excellent straps.

iain wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:53 pm When new the rubber was stiffer than a teenager with a copy of playboy, but it’s broken in nicely now
:lol: :lol: :lol:

iain wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:53 pm If you’re still here then thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed the photos.
That’s a great collection with a wonderful write-up. Thanks for sharing!
Drew
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

What an excellent collection of watches.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Thanks for the comments and compliments everyone.

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:58 pm The strap compliments the watch perfectly........
The Damasko is actually supplied on a Hirsch Robby but with a Damasko buckle. The one it came with was the original and was quite worn, so this was just a like for like swap.

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:32 pm What's next for you?
What’s next? Not sure. In the early days of collecting I would save up and in the case of the IWC, for several years before buying something else. Recently I’ve been adding more frequently so I’m tempted to step back and save up again. I’m 50 in a few years so I might wait and see what that brings depending on how much spare funds I can put away.

Or then again it could be another impulse buy not yet on my radar, who knows?!?!
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Lovely collection, Iain. It would be very hard to pick a favourite out of those. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

That's a lovely collection you have there Iain :thumbup:
I particularly like the Bremont sub-collection :D
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

Excellent collection, thank you for sharing it.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Terrific collection!!..I especially enjoy looking at your Bremonts..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Nice collection. I'm most drawn to the Damasko and IWC.

I do get the comment about saving for an IWC before buying something else. I always start with a top end watch in mind but then spend the funds when a mid range watch comes up halfway through saving.

I love the comment about the rubber strap :clap:
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Great collection! No love for the Seiko? :D
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

A Superb collection and for me there are two standouts. The Zenith with a great close up photo, and the Sooper Marine :thumbup:
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Thanks again for positive comments,

rkovars wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:21 pm Great collection! No love for the Seiko? :D
This might sound strange but I don’t really view the Seiko as part of the collection as it never really gets any wear anymore. It’s a watch I’ve had for quite a while and was my daily wear for many years before falling out of favour. It has an alarm and if I try to set the watch with out reading the manual, I have been known to inadvertently set the alarm. Not great when it goes off at silly o clock and wakes up the wife.

It tends to only get set when I wear it so tends to spend half the year an hour slow/fast. Not having a decorating watch set to the correct time is a good enough reason to put off decorating for a few months in my eyes anyway.....
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:32 pm The Aquaracer is one of my favourite Tags......
jkbarnes wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:58 pm To my eyes, one of the most beautiful chronographs to be had! Just stunning!
StrapMeister wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:37 pm I particularly like the Bremont sub-collection :D
Thunder1 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:18 pm Terrific collection!!..I especially enjoy looking at your Bremonts..
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:36 pm Nice collection. I'm most drawn to the Damasko and IWC.
rkovars wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:21 pm Great collection! No love for the Seiko? :D
cincfleet wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 pm A Superb collection and for me there are two standouts. The Zenith with a great close up photo, and the Sooper Marine :thumbup:
I think in bingo terms that’s house. Every watch mentioned by someone.....

Thank you all