SOTC Kansas City Milkman - Feb 21

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I've always promised myself that I would do a SOTC and there is no better time than now to do so.

I enjoy having a range of nice, good quality watches and my collection gives me that opportunity. The collection has grown over the years (mainly thanks to CWL and this forum). I'm not a serial flipper (I've only sold two over my 8 years on the forum and they were both to fellow forumites) but I also want a modest collection where all my watches get wrist time. So, I'm selective with what I buy and do try to operate a 1 in 1 out approach, although not always successfully.

It was my Dad who got me in to watches. He had a small collection of watches that he really enjoyed. He wasn't an expert and didn't really mind how they worked - he just wanted a small and varied collection to choose from. His watches were typically high street bought fashion watches, and they gave him variety he sought. I'll come back to this later and why it is relevant.

I discovered CW back in 2011. I was looking for a small, unique 'watchmaker' away from the mainstream. It needed to be a unique brand which produced quality, swiss watches at an affordable price, so when my brother-in-law showed me an add for the C8, I was intrigued and started following the CW forum. Initially I was an avid lurker and then finally signed up in 2012 when I was ready to buy.

I've added CWs since then and whilst I've often thought about buying other 'upscale' brands, the ones I've tried really haven't blown me away enough to justify spending the extra money. CW remains good value and there's enough innovation and enough new models to keep my interest.

Anyway, enough rambling, it's pictures you want - so here they are. I've added a few close ups and a bit of commentary here and there.

The whole collection:
20210206_135015.jpg
Whole Collection
So CW is the mainstay of my collection. I do also have 2 x Tissots and a Rotary. I'll remain open and interested in other brands, but for now CW has given me enough to have the small and varied collection that I'm looking for.

Where it started
20210206_160341.jpg
Rotary
This was a 30th Birthday Present from my then fiancée (who was later 'lucky' enough to become Mrs Milkman). I wore this watch every day for years and years. It kept time spectacularly well and just needed a new battery (which i fitted myself) from time to time. It gets zero wrist time these days :oops: but it's a keeper. It is, quite frankly, tiny compared to my current upper limit of 42mm, but i really enjoyed wearing it.
20210206_160535.jpg
Rotary v C700
Inconceivable that i used to be a 1 watch person (how did i ever cope, eh?) :lol: .

Next up
20210207_130727.jpg
PRS
I'd decided that I wanted a Swiss diver type watch and after recovering from a major health issue in 2004, that was the time to treat myself. I spent time researching and found this Limited Edition (of several thousand!). Absolutely another keeper. I love this watch and it's also my beater, I really enjoy wearing it. It harbours a few battle scars, but I don't care :)

Another Birthday

40 this time and my family raided their piggy banks, found a few loose coins down the back of the sofa and collected enough for me to choose this:
20210207_130530.jpg
T Touch
I loved the technology behind this watch. A titanium bracelet with a touch screen - this still remains, to me at least, a real wonder. How can a watch be touch screen and tell you the temperature, give the air pressure and tell you which way you are facing? Fabulous technology and to me, before I became more immersed in the world of watches, was and remains pretty amazing.

It doesn't get as much wrist time these days and given the sentimental value it's another keeper

My first CW
20210207_130606.jpg
C10
I was now starting to get in to watches properly. My main source of interest was through the CW forum. It was great sitting on the sidelines developing my interest in watches and CW. The forum helped me understand more about watches, whilst being a friendly, supportive and entertaining place with some great characters. I also thought it was great that the forum designed its own LE (I particularly liked the Scooter) and also had a really close relationship with CW and its owners/ founders. A lot of those fabulous forum attributes remain today :)

I wanted an automatic pilot's watch but had reservations on the 44mm size of the C8. Then the 42mm C10 was launched and I quickly placed an order. The C10 has incredible detailing and as my first automatic I was delighted when it arrived. It hasn't missed a beat in the 8 years I've owned it.

The ball was rolling then and I started building my CW collection.......

C5 - Another early CW addition
20210207_130823.jpg
C5
Having been very impressed by my C10 and the value of CW, I started extending my search and was taken by the C5. A Swiss watch, great spec, the novelty of an exhibition case back for £200? Another keeper. This little beauty doesn't get much wrist time as I tend to wear it only with a suit and I've not worn one of those in a while. Its day will come!

My Dad's C3
20210206_160847.jpg
C3
I've already mentioned that my Dad was proud of his small collection of largely fashion watches. He'd also always shown an interest in my C3 and my growing CW collection. I really wanted to get him a CW - a good quality, Swiss watch. When a Silver C3 came up I bought it for him and gave it as a birthday present. He loved that watch and it took pride of place on his wrist. Of course he still wore his other watches, but the C3 became his primary wear. He wore it most days and it only came off when he was too ill to wear any watch at all. It was given back to me after he died, so this watch has a very special place with me.

My latest CW - C65 Dartmouth
20210207_130415.jpg
C65
I wasn't a big fan of the Dartmouth when it was released, but over time it really grew on me. First I'd realised through the C65 Anthropocene how much i liked the lightcatcher case. The size, style and slimline nature of the case really showed how CW had developed over the years. When a Dartmouth came up in the recent sale, i took a punt and wasn't disappointed.

One thing that works well for me with my (recent) collection is the QR straps. I'm not skilled enough to sod around trying to change the old style bracelets. I have occasionally posted on the lacerations, blood pressure and emotional strain I've experienced changing old style straps. QR means that i can have multiple versions of the same watch (without injury) - outstanding. I'm not sure what this means for CW as a business, but for me as a customer QR straps are excellent.

I have got other excellent watches as shown in the watch box, especially C60s and they all get a turn on my wrist. Mrs Milkman also has the Coral

As for the future, I'll always consider other brands (I quite like some of the snazzy Nomos models), but I do hope that CW continue to develop interesting and innovative watches.

Thanks for reading :)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: SOTC Kansas City Milkman - Feb 21

Post by Bident »

Fantastic SOTC.

"it's pictures you want - so here they are."

The pictures are great...but I think the stories you convey behind each piece are what make your SOTC so enjoyable. It reminds me why this hobby is so alluring. Thanks very much for sharing! :thumbup:
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Wonderful collection, even better narrative! If I’ve learned one thing from some of these SOTCs, it’s that I really like the older CWs. The C5 and the C10 are standouts. And the story of the C3 is the best part of your collection!

Thanks for sharing.
Drew
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Bident wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:08 am Fantastic SOTC.

"it's pictures you want - so here they are."

The pictures are great...but I think the stories you convey behind each piece are what make your SOTC so enjoyable. It reminds me why this hobby is so alluring. Thanks very much for sharing! :thumbup:
+1... :thumbup:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

This epitomises what I like about the SOTC thread - the watches and the stories of why they’re in the collection.

Love the Anthropocene, it’s one I’d like to buy some day and I’m sure the story of your Dad’s C3 resonates with many of us.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Thanks for this; another great SOTC post. Again, the stories behind the watches are so interesting. The older Ward's are the winners for me: C10,C5,C3. Love the alternating numeral sizes of the C3 and C10. CW should have kept the logo version of the C5, maybe removing London. It's far superior to the current iteration imho.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

Lovely pictures and story. A great read first thing on a snowy Monday morning. I found it interesting how my eye was immediately drawn to the C65 Anthropocene. The combo of dial and strap is really striking. That said I enjoyed looking at them all. Thanks
Gordon
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

An interesting write up of your watch collecting journey. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Great to see your collection mate.
Really excellent watches, varied too :thumbup: and I love the history behind each one also.
I really need to get a bracelet for my Dartmouth.... 8)
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Thanks for your comments. They are very much appreciated :thumbup:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Stunning watch collection. :D

I really like the look of the fifth one along on the winders. White with black bezel, and black and orange strap.
What is it? I thought it was a C60, but the bezel looks like a C65?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:40 pm Stunning watch collection. :D

I really like the look of the fifth one along on the winders. White with black bezel, and black and orange strap.
What is it? I thought it was a C60, but the bezel looks like a C65?
I think that’s the Anthropocene GMT LE. I think a non-LE version of that might sell like hot cakes!
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

20210208_135859.jpg
Thank you.

As JKB points out it's the C65 Anthropocene. It's a fine looking watch. LE of 300
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:01 pm 20210208_135859.jpg
Thank you.

As JKB points out it's the C65 Anthropocene. It's a fine looking watch. LE of 300
If CW put this out in a non-LE version with a steel bezel, I might be able to convince my wife that I need this watch.

Based on nothing more that photos, I’d venture to say this is the most readable, white dial watch CW has produced. The black hands and the black outline in the chrome indices are perfect.
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

I actually think the black bezel brings the face to life. That said, if one of the photoshop wizards could rustle up a steel bezeled version, it would be interesting to see what it looks like