gaf1958 - January 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: gaf1958 - January 2021

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm
exHowfener wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm ...What I'd love to hear about is some of the practicalities of owning a substantial collection - servicing, wearing in rotation etc.
Thanks for sharing.
I’m curious about that, too. With a collection that big, how do you even begin to decide what to wear any given day?
:thumbup: For sure!

There were many in the cast offs that would make the centerpiece in anyone's collection! Well done. It must be very difficult to cull in those numbers. I guess having the replacements as goals helps salve the sting a little. Outstanding post.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Gary, I've never seen such a terrific collection of Omegas as yours...unbelievable!!..what a treat to see!!..and then, there's the rest..Christ, what a collection.. :erschreckt:

I guess the one Omega of yours that I drool over the most(and I love them all!!) is your 'TV screen' Speedy..what a terrific, seldom seen, beaut..you're both an inspiration & and an enabler, of the finest sort..watch how you go and we'll continue to pick up sticks w/ you as time goes on..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Wow! Everything that needs to be said has been by those coming before me. There are so many watches there - not just the Omegas - that I woud bite your hand off for - lol! And colour - I love colour - I will be reviewing some of those watches and brands again as there were many colourful dials to admire.

Your comments on the Bell & Ross interested me. It's a brand I used to hate, but they have branched out into new ranges and the round case models in particular are very attractive. Luckily theres an AD in Bangkok and when in town, I keep going in and am sorely tempted, even the recent orange dial 'square' LE is calling me. The price is attractive, it looks great and it was so comfortable on the wrist, which came as a surprise. Definitely a brand on the up.

But I have a question, what made you change your mind about the green Magrette Dual Time with the black case? I recall you saying before that you had asked if they would put the green in a ss case for you, but it never happened and I thought the black case was a deal breaker? And can you find any logic in the fact the spare buckle they provide is in stainless steel? I only use the black buckle. But irrespective of that , it's a wonderful watch.
'Tis me
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

When confronted with a sensory overload of a collection it is tempting to say something gushy or trite. So I'll try not to.

It's a wonderful collection, Gary. Beautifully presented and described. Your watches all look in fantastic condition - they are a credit to you.

Favourites. I'll pick three. A bit of a conservative selection...

1. The first one out of the box. The FOIS. I thought about it quite seriously when contemplating the Moonwatch, but it came in second.

2. The Clé de Cartier. Stunning watch by my favourite manufacturer. But you knew that.

3. A CW. The C9 SH21 Small Seconds. Beautiful. The one CW I should probably have bought and didn't.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Having now had a chance to read through your post Gary and view all the photos (our local ISP reported bandwidth overload when I opened this thread :lol: ), I'd echo the sentiments of others - thanks for taking the time to share your superlative collection with us.

Your Speedy's are obviously the jewel in the crown and both (your favourite) the Japan Racing LE, and the De Ville on the armadillo bracelet particularly stand out, along with the TV dial.

Glad to see the one I recall you picked up from me survived the cull. How you find the time, space and energy for this collection is amazing :clap:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Gary. Just stunning.

Without question the most detailed SOTC post in the history of the forum!

I admire the dedication to sell off 80 plus watches in less than one year.....that alone is almost a part time job!

My three faves:

1. The Omega box and I am getting re-smitten with the PO 2500 calibre style
2. Panerai PAM 620. I can see why you upgraded from your Radiomir 512 if only for the Arabic 9 beside the small seconds - plus the cool micro rotor
3. Continental Chrono. Love it!! Sadly 37mm wouldn't work for my plump wrists ( so I won't begin lobbying for it) but that is a magnificent watch

Brilliant post. Candidly a candidate for post of the year.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Again, many thanks for the comments, although I hadn’t really expected quite as many; particularly the number of complimentary ones! Thanks all.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

gaf1958 - January 2021

Post by gaf1958 »

gaf1958 wrote:
Viognier wrote:Candidly a candidate for post of the year.
Are there prizes involved Lance? ImageImage
Seriously though, thanks mate!
Viognier wrote: 3. Continental Chrono. Love it!! Sadly 37mm wouldn't work for my plump wrists ( so I won't begin lobbying for it) but that is a magnificent watch.
It’s one that’s surprisingly close to the top of my list of favourites.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: 1. The first one out of the box. The FOIS. I thought about it quite seriously when contemplating the Moonwatch, but it came in second.

2. The Clé de Cartier. Stunning watch by my favourite manufacturer. But you knew that.

3. A CW. The C9 SH21 Small Seconds. Beautiful. The one CW I should probably have bought and didn't.
Thanks Steve. I did have a very good idea about #2 and could have made a good guess at #3. In retrospect, #1 is not that surprising either...
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Caller wrote:But I have a question, what made you change your mind about the green Magrette Dual Time with the black case? I recall you saying before that you had asked if they would put the green in a ss case for you, but it never happened and I thought the black case was a deal breaker? And can you find any logic in the fact the spare buckle they provide is in stainless steel? I only use the black buckle. But irrespective of that , it's a wonderful watch.
You have a good memory Phil! I’d still like the green in a SS case and one day I may swap the movements complete with dial & hand over between the two watches - but I will need to determine how much work is involved in swapping the internal bezels as well. In the meantime, the black case is fine, but I do treat it with kid gloves, even compared to my other watches...
The buckles make no sense, but I prefer to use a Hirsch sport buckle instead of the original Magrette one - I got hold of a matte black one that matches beautifully. It doesn’t fit on all the straps I’ve tried on the green Magrette, but most, yes.
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Thegreyman wrote:Your Speedy's are obviously the jewel in the crown and both (your favourite) the Japan Racing LE, and the De Ville on the armadillo bracelet particularly stand out, along with the TV dial.:
Three non-mainstream watches. You have good taste there Patrick. Image
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

gaf1958 - January 2021

Post by gaf1958 »

jkbarnes wrote:
exHowfener wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:38 pm ...What I'd love to hear about is some of the practicalities of owning a substantial collection - servicing, wearing in rotation etc.
Thanks for sharing.
I’m curious about that, too. With a collection that big, how do you even begin to decide what to wear any given day?
Choosing a watch for the day is generally a totally spontaneous action and sometimes it’s a case of choose a box, now choose a watch. It’s probably fair to say hat the sequence of the boxes as shown is a fair reflection of how often I choose each box (i.e. Omegas most frequently, bits and pieces least so).

Servicing. Now there’s an issue. I’ve recently had quite a few of the Omegas serviced; generally it’s something that I do when timekeeping starts to be one obviously off or power reserve starts to diminish... With the numbers I have, they don’t get worn enough to need servicing from full time usage; but the once every now and then that even the least worn watches get is sufficient to prevent oils drying up due to sitting around. It means that I tend to totally ignore most servicing recommendations and go by the indicators above...
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Thunder1 wrote:I guess the one Omega of yours that I drool over the most(and I love them all!!) is your 'TV screen' Speedy..what a terrific, seldom seen, beaut..you're both an inspiration & and an enabler...
Thanks Chuck, the TV Speedy is, while not rare, at least uncommon. And yeah, I’ll cop to being an enabler - but let’s face it, who on this forum isn’t in some way... Image
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
timeonourhands
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by timeonourhands »

For the watches :clap: