SOTC - Qubo | January 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

SOTC - Qubo | January 2021

Post by Qubo »

Well, on the back of a frantic 2019, 2020 did not disappoint and was another year full of horological excitement and surprises. Many new additions and a few departures. While I have added gold to the collection, I am still without a GMT 😊.

What I am looking for in my watches are:
1. Simplicity (in terms of good design, aesthetics, complications and the case).
2. That they can be daily wear
3. Colour
4. 40mm is big enough for me while 36/38mm is such an all-round great size.

Watches that found a new home last year:
• Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical (“Earth” coloured PVD case)
• Meistersinger No. 3 (43mm / blue dial)

Watches that have stayed:
• Tag Heuer 6000 (2002)
• Rolex Air-King (116900)
• Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm White Grape Dial (116000)
• Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm Blue 3-6-9 Dial (11600)
• Rolex Explorer (114270)
• Rolex DateJust (1601) – “Wideboy” dial
• Tudor Black Bay 58

Watches that I welcomed during 2020:
• Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Classic Large Small Seconds
• Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds wine red dial.
• Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical (Blasted steel case)
• Seiko Presage Cocktail Time - Matcha
• Seiko Presage Cocktail Time – Frozen Marguerita
• Baltic HMS 002
• Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue
• Rolex Datejust 36mm – TT Rose Gold, Slate stick dial (126231)
• Christopher Ward C65 Trident Vintage mkII

Below a photo of each watch and some observations on the recent arrivals. Looking forward to another great year with good health, great friends and watches that make you smile.

Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Classic Large Small Seconds
What else is there to write about such an iconic watch. Considered the duo-face but felt it was for me a little too think for what I wanted the watch to be; a business casual every day wearer. The dial with the different levels and surfaces, art-deco styling, the famous “flip” case and outstanding strap make it such beautiful and timeless design. (I have now decided on the engraving so it will be leaving for JLC once the shops open again).

Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds red wine dial.
I am sucker for the colour red and once I saw this version with the red-wine dial and polished applied markers I was sold. Little more dressy than smart casual but hey you wear what you like whenever you like.

Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical
I sold the one with the “Earth” PVD dial only to pick up the steel version later in the year. Such a versatile do-whatever watch.

Seiko Presage Cocktail time – Matcha and Frozen Marguerita
I had an eye on the Cocktail time series for a while because of their amazing dials. Bought the Marguerita on a whim when I was in hospital and could not get any sleep: what else can you do than browse watches on-line? The dial looked a stunner and did not disappoint when it showed up. The Frozen Marguerita was quickly followed up by the Matcha as I always wanted something with a green dial. Again, beautiful dial; now on a green suede B&S strap it has such a smart appearance. Moty likely I will let the Frozen Marguerita go – it’s beautiful but find it difficult to match it with the right strap (have it now on a chocolate brown suede; I don’t like the mesh bracelet it came on) and match it with my attire.

Baltic HMS 002
Bought this one solely because of the step case and sector dial with the open 6 and 9. Classic design. Nothing more or less. Versatile and looks good on so many different straps.

Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue
Together with the original Black Bay 58 (black) they tick all my “diver” boxes. Right size, hight and wears so comfortable.

Rolex DateJust 36mm (126231)
A present to myself after making a full recovery. Already last year I wanted to add something in/with gold to the collection and after seeing a GMT-Master II in full everose gold I was sold. It’s just a piece I love to wear, to look at and to hold.

Christopher Ward C65 Trident Vintage
Latest addition to the collection. From the January sale. 1st CW after a while and once again CW does not disappointment in terms of design (case and bracelet), fit and finish, and versatility. Punches above its weight. Has a hint of blue/purple when looking at the dial in certain light conditions (effect of AR coating I expect). Simple and perfect under the radar all-rounder.

So, what’s next for 2021?

Still on the look out for a GMT. Other than the likely sale of the Seiko Presage Frozen Marguerita, I may swap out some pieces (1 in, 1 out) as for sure I don’t want to increase the watch count (7 net increase vs 2020 – it feels sometimes as too many TBH 😊)

I am grateful, healthy and very happy with my collection.
IMG_E3109.JPG
IMG_E2864.JPG
IMG_E2056.JPG
IMG_2999 (2).JPG
IMG_E2894.JPG
IMG_E3036.JPG
IMG_3088 (2).JPG
IMG_3004 (3).JPG
IMG_2918 (2).JPG
IMG_E3095.JPG
IMG_E2687.JPG
IMG_E3020.JPG
IMG_E3099.JPG
IMG_2956 (2).JPG
IMG_2907 (2).JPG
IMG_3085 (2).JPG
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: SOTC - Qubo | January 2021

Post by stefs »

An astonishing and truly world class collection Robin. We have similar tastes so I will be no surprise that I love most of these and we have more than one duplicates! The rolex group is exceptional with probably only the air king being one I would leave out.
The reversos are superb as are the 58’s.
An honourable mention for the seikos as well.
Bravo indeed
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Superb! Nothing else I can say really.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Wow! Beautiful collection!
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

A magnificent collection. Thank you for sharing.
Best regards,
John
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A great collection Robin. :clap: :clap:

An excellent example of decide what core brands tick all the boxes for your collection and stick to it. :thumbup:

Will you stay on familiar territory for the GMT and go with a GMT Master/Master II from the Crown, if not what is on the shortlist?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

:erschreckt: :shock: :erschreckt: :shock: :erschreckt: :shock: :erschreckt: :shock:
Absolutely amazing collection :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing :D
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Qubo »

Thanks for all the kind words. It has been quite a journey over the last couple of years.

I won’t be looking at Rolex for a GMT - the master II doesn’t wear comfortable for me. Maybe the new Explorer 2 if they launch it this year. Current Tudor is too big for me.

Looking at GS but will give myself some time too look and try them out on the wrist. Maybe GO but they tend to be too big. UN?

Open for GMT suggestions <=39mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Qubo wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:38 pm Thanks for all the kind words. It has been quite a journey over the last couple of years.

I won’t be looking at Rolex for a GMT - the master II doesn’t wear comfortable for me. Maybe the new Explorer 2 Image if they launch it this year. Current Tudor is too big for me.

Looking at GS but will give myself some time too look and try them out on the wrist. Maybe GO but they tend to be too big. UN?

Open for GMT suggestions <=39mm. Image
GS is a good call, they do have a wide selection of GMTs, albeit the smallest I have seen are 39.5mm and 40mm.

JLC Master Home Time, but I think they are 40mm. Might be though that the older models are slightly smaller, as they are we few others in the Master Control range.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Such a Superlative collection!!..and few collectors are able to snag one Reverso, much less 2 of them!!...you truly have fine taste in wrist wear..congrats!!.. :thumbup:
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

That red JLC is just stunning Robin, I love it. I’m also a fan of the Matcha Seiko, such a beautiful dial. The rest are all right too I suppose ;)
It’s nice to see some colour in a collection; you have a sufficient number of watches in your collection that you can pick and choose when to add a splash of colour or to go a bit more incognito.
Fabulous collection mate!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Well I'm not going to criticise you for the high turnover of watches in 2020 after my own realisation that only 4 of the watches in my recent SOTC of 15 had survived from my previous SOTC.

What a great collection you have - a nice even half dozen Rolex, the JLC's, Tudor - a lot of lovely high end stuff in there.

My favourites - your vintage Tag (every collection needs a classic Tag imo), the Explorer (one of Rolex's best timeless models), the Presages (I slightly regret selling my ice blue cocktail time) and the Tudor BB58's (bit of a Tudor fan myself and just picked up a blue 58 for Christmas).

Your collection of Rolex is perhaps slightly unusual in that you haven't gone for any of the diver models, although the Tudor's have that job covered more than adequately. Maybe a Rolex GMT could be in the offing in the future?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
downer

Post by downer »

Wow, that's a collection!

I think my favourite would be the Explorer, but there's plenty of lovely watches in there!
Richard
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Very nice collection! My favorite is probably the vintage DateJust 1601. That would sit squarely in my wheelhouse :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Some absolutely brilliant watches in your collection!! Another excellent SOTC post
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy