Stefs jan 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Stefs jan 2021

Post by stefs »

Well another Saturday with nothing to do so thought I would update the SOTC. The last one was at the start of the covid nightmare in march last year. Surprisingly :wink: only two of that small collection remain. I also find myself with more watches than I normally allow myself which may have to be addressed at some point. I am also still hoping for a minor addition from one of our mods in the near future :lol:

Without further ado....
Firstly the two (and a half!) that survived from last march
265CE60B-5FF0-49CC-ABEB-AACD03362A50.jpeg
AA4D13E8-AC59-420F-A7B1-D5C5C85859C6.jpeg
79E1BBA5-B10E-403B-A555-16022A69B879.jpeg
Next in came my first lockdown watch. I likes this as soon as it came out. I was fortunate enough to have bought both black and green submariners but prefer the proportions of the black bay. I think I even prefer the aluminium bezel to the ceramic of the rolexs.
22CA5812-544F-4315-9986-B6CB1867D829.jpeg
If I recall I then wanted a nice smaller watch. I decided upon the new oyster perpetual and put my name down and settled in for the long wait. Almost immediately I came across a 36mm datejust with a very rare dial configuration that hit the spot and couldnt resist. Very unexpectedly I very soon got the phone call offering me the very first blue op the AD had received. Financially this was bad news but knowing if I had to I could liquidate without loss and because it is a gorgeous watch I went ahead with the purchase. I find both to wear really well and the size suits me well. If I had to choose it would probably be the datejust due to the more lively dial and the lovely lumed blue numerals
66DEEF32-062B-4B50-9851-73D227C5FCDE.jpeg
1BAF870F-671F-4BD4-9DB0-EC69B5FE745A.jpeg
Prior to this I had decided to sell my series 4 apple watch. Not because I had got bored with it or wasn’t wearing it but in fact the opposite! I was wearing it so much my proper watches were not getting the wrist time they deserved. Trouble is I did really miss it and so gave in and replaced it with the superior series 6. I know these are generally not loved by the WIS but for work I just find them so handy. Sorry :(
356BDC2A-FBA1-491C-97A2-ABC093E7931D.jpeg
2C4689B9-16AC-4F25-A34A-9BDAA86D34C9.jpeg
Next up was just a bit of fun. I quite fancied the original Tag Heuer formula1 from the mid 80’s. The challenge would be to try to get a mint version of each of the colour combos. This was the first one in and aside from a slight fading of the strap is close to new condition. One downside of a 35 year old quartz watch is it has a 35 year old movement and my one loses 5-6 seconds a day. Not too bad but not what you expect for quartz.
EBE85559-1B3B-4EF3-AAA7-A82F71235310.jpeg
Finally my new arrival from the sale. The C65 sandhust. Despite the fact I had put off getting one as I already had too many watches the design had appealed from the day it was released and I cant lie the logo position looks so much better and really makes the difference to me. I could not be more delighted with it. It feels like the evolution of the classic c5A range that I still really like.
6435EDB6-2E1E-44FD-922E-E80603245D81.jpeg
2385A45E-D418-41CD-B005-8DD3CBCB3413.jpeg
I still have a couple of my older watches, raymond weil, gshock etc but dont get much of a look in really nowdays.
Thanks for looking and tolerating my ramblings. To be honest I cant believe how much irresponsible spending I have done during such uncertain times. It is an addiction and there is no further proof required.
Cheers
Cheers now, Paul
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Stefs jan 2021

Post by JAFO »

Great! :thumbup: :clap:
Your description of this as a small collection was very modest!.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That Reverso! I can’t get enough of it. You’ve got a dynamite collection of watches there. The Sandhurst is a great edition.
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

As usual Paul, a core of top quality watches that I like very much. :thumbup:

Happy to assist your collection reduction plan - by taking on the Reverso when you decide to move it on. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Still enjoying the BB58 I hope, never sell it! ;)

The blue dial of that rolex is probably the best shot I've seen of all the recent colourways. It's a gorgeous colour.

What a great collection - I'm sure choosing the right wrist wear is making lockdown easier!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:50 pm That Reverso! I can’t get enough of it.
Agreed - great collection but that one always stands out for me! :clap:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Macca

Post by Macca »

What a lovely collection and covers most bases there, I’m a tag fan and that quartz is a lot of fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your great collection. Incidentally, I have the black version of the original Tag Heuer Formula 1. It is nowhere near mint condition, as I bought it in 1986 or so and wore it daily for 10 years. The original strap broke long ago and I've since put a cheap fabric strap on it. I no longer wear it but can't seem to part with it either...too much sentimental value.

Thanks for posting!
IMG_0452.jpeg
Best regards,
John
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Both an elegant & interesting collection!!..your Reverso is the bee's knees & I'm going to have to give that Sandhurst a closer look now!!..thanx for posting(enabling?)!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Thanks for the kind words. The reverso clearly continues to be a favourite and rightly so but sorry Neil but my money would probably be on that being the last man standing in the collection.
Cheers John for the Tag f1 support. I remember when they were launched all those years ago and I thought they were horrible overpriced plastic watches in stupid colours! Now I think they are fun and of course well made and not plastic at all apart from the resin straps.

If reincarnation is real I would choose to come back as an octopus so I can wear them all
Cheers now, Paul
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Great collection Paul. I'd happily own any/all of these watches. I hadn't seen your Tag F1 before and that looks great in the yellow, being a bit of a Tag fan myself (insofar as my longest owned watch and only keeper is my Carrera).

I agree the Sandhurst is a superb looking watch and was tempted by that in the sale myself, but managed to resist temptation for once.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

stefs wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:39 pm Thanks for the kind words. The reverso clearly continues to be a favourite and rightly so but sorry Neil but my money would probably be on that being the last man standing in the collection.
Cheers John for the Tag f1 support. I remember when they were launched all those years ago and I thought they were horrible overpriced plastic watches in stupid colours! Now I think they are fun and of course well made and not plastic at all apart from the resin straps.

If reincarnation is real I would choose to come back as an octopus so I can wear them all
That's right, I remember reading the case on the original F1 is fiberglass. Had forgotten about that!

I actually ordered mine from the L.L. Bean catalog at a what I remember to be a reasonable price. I was shocked how much they went up a few years later when buying my wife (girlfriend at the time) the ladies version. It's hard to believe these days, but they did make an even smaller ladies model that by today's standards is barely legible. She still has it: all metal case and full lume dial.
IMG_5423.jpeg
Best regards,
John
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

As stated above, a great collection. I think my favourites would be the blue OP and the Exp II.
stefs wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:45 pm I am also still hoping for a minor addition from one of our mods in the near future :lol:
I'm avoiding "unnecessary" trips to the Post Office right now, Paul - otherwise I'd have been in touch already. :D

Just as soon as things ease off a bit, I'll be in touch.
Richard
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Nice one Richard :thumbup:
Cheers now, Paul
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Another SOTC post with fantastic watches but once again I’m drawn to some of the more unusual ones. I shared a house with someone at university around #@ years ago who wore a blue and white version of that Tag F1. I love how watches evoke memories of times gone by. Thanks for sharing.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.