SOTC - rkovars January 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: SOTC - rkovars January 2021

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A very entertaining read, thank you, which goes to highlight the mantra that watches are for wearing.

I'm sure there are a few stories that your GMT Master could tell us that, looking at the aircraft in your Squadron shot, we probably ought not to hear about. :wink:

Do you have anything on the horizon to buy this year, not that you really need anything else?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

"It helps to remind me not to take myself or this hobby too seriously. It is supposed to be fun."

Wiser words were never spoken. This was a delightful, engrossing read for me. Your conveyance was at times poignant, yet always joyful. Thanks for posting and job well done!
Best regards,
John
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Oh wow, a forum inmate who's seen the curvature of the planet from the edge of space. Very cool! I watched on TV with a huge jealous grin as James May got to fly up there.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

I would like to add my thanks for creating and sharing your SOTC post - it was a very enjoyable read.

I really like the way you laid everything bare with the thoughts and sentiment behind the pieces regardless of their (perceived) value in horological terms... Great post! :thumbup: :clap:

I can't believe your luck with the Flightmaster - you maybe should've bought a lotto/lottery ticket that day!? :lol:
cheers
Ian
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:29 am A very entertaining read, thank you, which goes to highlight the mantra that watches are for wearing.

I'm sure there are a few stories that your GMT Master could tell us that, looking at the aircraft in your Squadron shot, we probably ought not to hear about. :wink:

Do you have anything on the horizon to buy this year, not that you really need anything else?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
20200624_135841699_iOS (2).jpg

In God we trust, all others we monitor!

Nothing on the immediate horizon for this year Guy. I am curious as to what CW has planned for the year. It seems like the C60 and C65 lines are firing on all cylinders currently. Seems like a push back toward the more dress area might be on the horizon or a more dressy sports watch. I still have my 10 or twelve tabs open so you never know. I would really like to add a Moonglow to the collection.

StrapMeister wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:51 pm I would just like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your back stories and looking at your collection - which I think is terrific 8)
Thanks for taking the time to put it together and posting it :thumbup:
Thanks very much StrapMeister!
jtc wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:45 am Oh wow, a forum inmate who's seen the curvature of the planet from the edge of space. Very cool! I watched on TV with a huge jealous grin as James May got to fly up there.
Unfortunately, my boots were firmly on terra firma during that time period. It was a great program to be a part of though. A ton of history. Drinks with the old timers was always a ton of fun!
Bident wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 am "It helps to remind me not to take myself or this hobby too seriously. It is supposed to be fun."

Wiser words were never spoken. This was a delightful, engrossing read for me. Your conveyance was at times poignant, yet always joyful. Thanks for posting and job well done!
Thanks Bident really appreciate the positive compliments!
Tortoise wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:20 pm I would like to add my thanks for creating and sharing your SOTC post - it was a very enjoyable read.

I really like the way you laid everything bare with the thoughts and sentiment behind the pieces regardless of their (perceived) value in horological terms... Great post! :thumbup: :clap:

I can't believe your luck with the Flightmaster - you maybe should've bought a lotto/lottery ticket that day!? :lol:
cheers
Thanks Tortoise! I absolutely should have played that day! I had a friend back in the early 90s that used to dumpster dive on the base where the enlisted dorms/barracks were located. Mostly he was collecting cans and bottles (5 cents a piece) but he would always keep any electronics he found. He constantly found some pretty high end stuff at the time (Sony Walkmans and Sony Diskmen) with the batteries in backwards and nothing else wrong with them. I learned it from him!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Absolutely fantastic post!! I was truly captivated reading your Rolex GMT story and then the fact it had an incident with sea water and post servicing, is still running brilliantly!

From a fellow passionate fly fisherman, which is your go-to watch when you chase the trout? My C60 MK3 is my trusty accomplice for my visits to the river.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Viognier wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 pm Absolutely fantastic post!! I was truly captivated reading your Rolex GMT story and then the fact it had an incident with sea water and post servicing, is still running brilliantly!

From a fellow passionate fly fisherman, which is your go-to watch when you chase the trout? My C60 MK3 is my trusty accomplice for my visits to the river.
Thanks! I sent it in right away so there was no long term damage. I cringe every time I see the restoration videos on YouTube with water damage where people left them alone for years.

Pretty much up until about 2012 or 13 it was the GMT. Around that time it started to run erratically so it sat until I got it serviced in the spring of 2019 (as an aside it turned out to be gummy oil on the hairspring causing it to run extremely fast - gaining minutes an hour). One of my earliest posts here were of some pics taken by my watch maker. Anyway, when the GMT was sidelined I pretty much wore a Suunto. That went away in about 2018 or so. This year I think my Super Compressor will get the duty. The cushion case makes it low profile enough to fit under a cuff nicely and it can definitely take a river dunking with no problem.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

A really interesting read and equally interesting watches. Importantly some with real history and meaning to you. Something that I sadly lack with my watches . Standout favourite for me is the wonderful gmt master. It look to be in such great shape and it is amazing to think of what you paid for it all that time ago compared with what it would cost to replace now.
Thanks for posting and continue to enjoy your fine collection.
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

There a good reason why the SOTC thread is my favourite on the forum. I get to see lots of watches and often the backstory of why they are in someone’s collection, which is sometimes as interesting as the watches themselves. Great write up and some lovely watches!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Love the collection, particularly the GMT (of course) and the Casio calculator :thumbup:

I'm now looking at pictures of the Orvis Manchester shop online. Looks a pleasant place.