SOTC - Jkbarnes January 2021

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

SOTC - Jkbarnes January 2021

Post by jkbarnes »

After almost four years on the forum, I finally feel ready for a SOTC post! Why so long? A few reasons... it’s not until the last couple of months that I’ve actually felt like I have a collection. By that I mean a number of watches that I actively cycle through. Prior to August I was essentially a one watch guy who happened to have some other watches that he never wore.

The other reason is the very modest nature of my collection compared to some of the “big guns” on the forum. My collection has neither the breadth & scope, nor the value of some of the more impressive collections on this forum.

But that’s OK because I love the watches I have, and they all have meaning to me. And did I mention I just got a watch box? So here you go:

560963C7-8D72-4AC6-A7FD-759B916106B1.jpeg
l to r: C65 Trident Vintage, C65 AM GT LE, Seiko SNZF17 Sea Urchin (modded), Seiko SNK809, Seiko H239-5060

This was my introduction to CW and higher end watches. A wedding gift from my wife, this has been my daily watch for the last four years.
D414F58A-D42A-4EAC-907A-F65D497DF775.jpeg
C65 Trident Vintage

This was a 50th birthday gift earlier this year from the whole family. I managed to secure #259 to commemorate my birthday of 25 September
A3CE9563-354B-4902-8816-B29943E31EC2.jpeg
C65 AM GT LE

The Seiko Sea Urchin was my second automatic. I was looking for a diver that wouldn’t break the bank. This was before discovering CW and this forum and reorienting my idea what constituted “break the bank.” At the time, this was not an inexpensive watch to me. The problem was I liked it but didn’t love it. In October I finally took the leap of faith to get it modded, and now I love it!
A1D74222-A182-4C5F-97A0-67B447270F84.jpeg
Seiko SNZF17 Sea Urchin with aftermarket bezel insert, domed sapphire crystal, and hand set

This is the watch that started it all, my first mechanical watch!
730375E6-045C-4A90-A3C0-EC5B26EC013E.jpeg
Seiko SNK809

And finally, a little piece of my childhood. This was my first proper watch, a gift from my parents in middle school. After years of scanning eBay, I finally tracked down a decent one this fall.
A0CC4372-BC8E-4582-9119-65B188E4007B.jpeg
Seiko H239-5060

And finally...
7F235FD2-258C-42A7-8FD8-42F70AD85F62.jpeg
...a gratuitous lume shot with my new UV flashlight to charge the lume!
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: SOTC - Jkbarnes January 2021

Post by Bident »

Thanks for posting, Andrew. You have a fine collection and I really enjoyed reading about each piece and what they mean to you. I really love the modded Seiko in particular.
Best regards,
John
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Well done Andrew and I have to say the C65 Vintage is my fave! Enjoyed the post
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks for sharing your collection, Andrew. SOTC posts should never be competitive, and the most important thing is that you have a collection that suits you and that you enjoy. You clearly do, so all one needs to say is – enjoy it!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

That's a nice collection Andrew 8)
I agree with Steve's post above :thumbup:
...the most important thing is the meaning to you and enjoying what you have.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks for posting.

The sea urchin looks great. What did you have done?
[edit: ignore, I’ve just seen the description #-o ]

Loving the lume shot, by the way. I’m still playing with my torch :)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Great collection Andrew. :thumbup:
It is a nice feeling reaching into the box, not for a watch, but a memory!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:28 pm ...not for a watch, but a memory!
Perfect description! I’ll be honest, having them all in a box has really changed my perception of them. Before they were somewhat loosely scattered across a bookshelf. The box seems more respectful of the watches, if that’s the right way to put it.
Drew
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

It's a great collection. There's something about Sekio 5's - and what they represent. At one time in the UK they became a touch more difficult to source (I think Seiko UK abandoned the 5 sub-brand?) and the prices went north. These days they are more available - and tempting.

As for the C65 Trident Vintage... it's a classic watch. :thumbup:
Richard
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Great collection. The (modded) Seiko diver looks quality. I am probably most intrigued by the digital Seiko on the bond nato! Probably the least expensive but maybe the most history.

I can tell that you like a black dial! I agree i am also drawn to black too as it seems more versatile to me.

Looks like you have a spare slot. Any ideas...
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

A1soknownas wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 pm I am probably most intrigued by the digital Seiko on the bond nato! Probably the least expensive but maybe the most history.
I wish I could say that Ana-Digital was the original one I got from my parents, and therefore loaded with history, but it’s not. I actually threw out my original watch sometime in my 20s, if you can believe that. I found this one on eBay. It’s on the NATO because of a strap mishap a few weeks ago. It just started flashing last week, so I think I need a new battery.

A1soknownas wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 pm I can tell that you like a black dial! I agree i am also drawn to black too as it seems more versatile to me.
That didn’t even register with me until I had them side by side in the watch box!

A1soknownas wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 pm Looks like you have a spare slot. Any ideas...
That’s where I’m storing some extra straps for the C65 AM GT LE. No plans to fill it...honest....I don’t need any more watches...my collection is complete. :lol:
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A nice selection you have Andrew. My favourites are the C65 vintage (another strap magnet of a watch that I used to own myself) and your modded Seiko Sea Urchin that looks all the better for the changes.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Lovely collection you have Andrew, the 65 vintage is very classy and I'm liking the modded Urchin.
I remember putting mine in a case/box for the first time, may sound silly but it felt like a personal horological milestone.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Bident wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:09 am Thanks for posting, Andrew. You have a fine collection and I really enjoyed reading about each piece and what they mean to you. I really love the modded Seiko in particular.
+1...and I especially like your CW Vintage :)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Great post Andrew - thanks for sharing the collection and the sentiment behind it ..
I think my favourite is the upgraded Sea Urchin for it's unique mods. :thumbup:
cheers
Ian