SOTC - downer December 2020

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
downer
CW-watches: 4

SOTC - downer December 2020

Post by downer »

It has been a while since I posted a SOTC, although these days, my collection is quite stable, so there will be few (if any) surprises.

Over the last two or three years I have consciously reduced the value of my collection, both to free up cash for other hobbies and also to avoid insurance and maintenance costs. Also, since retiring from work a couple of years ago, my watch-wearing habits have changed and I now tend to wear simple, robust watches ahead of anything else.

Anyway, here they are...

1. Planet Ocean Liquid Metal LE. Purchased in 2011 and it remains one of my favourites:

2. Speedmaster 50th LE. Purchased new in 2012, although the watch was released in 2007. Must admit I don't wear this one very often and it would be close to the top of the for sale list when I next want to convert watch cash to bike cash:

3. GMT Master II ceramic. Purchased in 2014. If I only kept one Rolex this may well be the one:

4. Ingenieur Laureus LE. This was released in 2015 and I got this one in early 2016. One of my most comfortable watches:

5. Explorer II 16570. This is a 2012 - one of the absolute last 16570's. I swapped a 216570 (42mm) Explorer II for this one in 2017:

6. Damasko DA20. I bought this in 2017. I've advertised it for sale a couple of times, but as you can see - it's still with me:

7. S300/Blue. One of my most worn watches. This fits well with my lifestyle. I got this one in 2017:

8. Citizen CC3005. My one and only quartz watch. I got this at the end of 2017 and really wish it was on a bracelet. I've looked for bracelets but have yet to find one at a sensible (given the value of the watch) price:

9. Explorer. Long story involving the purchase and sale of a Daytona. This one came along in 2018, although I can't find a wrist-shot:

10. C65 SH21 LE. The best recent CW? I think so. This one is a keeper:

11. C5 Aviator Mark II. An older CW. This particular watch has been owned by half of the forum - and may well change hands again soon:

12. S300/Black. I like the S300 so much, I acquired a second one - via this forum. My most recent transaction:

And that's it. What's next? I'm keen to find a white S300 at the right price and I reckon there may be one or two more CW's in the not-too-distant, but we will see.
Richard
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: SOTC - downer December 2020

Post by Viognier »

Richard - a great update on one of the top collections on the CW forum! Some brilliant watches there with your POLM being the chosen one in my eyes !!

Interested to watch the further collection consolidation and see what may move out to fund biking needs, the S300 White and additional CW possibilities. Any possible peek under the tent at a CW shortlist ?

I share your desire to consolidate and redeploy some of that money in other areas of life.

Thank you for posting.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Rockmastermike
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rockmastermike »

fantastic diversity in your collection. thanks for sharing
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

I love them all Richard - you have always been my number one for most envied collection!! As I've said in the past you have excellent taste. If I had to pick I'd probably go with the PO, yours is the best version and colourway of this amazing flawless watch!! :thumbup: :clap:
Dean
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Always a pleasure to see some pictures of your watches, Richard. Not only are they very fine pieces, you also clearly look after them very well and present them with great photographs.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Fantastic collection..excellent taste is wrist wear..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

A great collection of watches out of which it's the 2 x Omega that are my favourites and I'd be quite happy to have those in my minor collection.

Also, that you already own 2 x S300 and hanker after a 3rd says a lot about this particular Bremont model.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

What happened to the zenith el primero?
Pretty sure you had one.....
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

Lovely collection, but what happened to the Grand Seiko diver? That was the stand out for me in your last SOTC.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

:shock: fantastic collection Richard :D
Thanks for sharing :thumbup:
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Some fabulous watches there.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

I echo all prior comments. Brilliant collection. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
John
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

A great collection - pm me if you are after a bracelet for the Citizen at a sensible price. I have the same watch but have never worn the bracelet...
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Wonderful collection Richard. We have always had similar tastes andI like the lot. I did have the explorer and a speedie but found the size was not quite right for me but a pair of super watch nonetheless.
Hard to pick a winner but the explorer ii and iwc might just be nudging it and your version of the PO is the best
As for the c5a.... dont forget!!!
Cheers now, Paul
downer

Post by downer »

Thanks Guys.

I record details of my purchases and sales, so I can tell you...
mabotham wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:48 pm What happened to the zenith el primero?
Pretty sure you had one.....
Purchased July 2014, sold April 2017. Lost about £600
biggus_richus wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:03 pm Lovely collection, but what happened to the Grand Seiko diver? That was the stand out for me in your last SOTC.
Purchased December 2016, sold October 2018. Made about £150

The only thing I don't record is the WHY. Why did I sell those two? For sure, they would have been sold to fund some other "must have" watch, but I can't recall which ones. :oops: I do remember the Zenith was a touch long lug-to-lug and the GS was a touch too tall.
what-time-is-it wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:43 pm A great collection - pm me if you are after a bracelet for the Citizen at a sensible price. I have the same watch but have never worn the bracelet...
Expect a PM. :D
Richard