SOTC - downer December 2020

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: SOTC - downer December 2020

Post by downer »

stefs wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:58 pm Wonderful collection Richard. We have always had similar tastes andI like the lot. I did have the explorer and a speedie but found the size was not quite right for me but a pair of super watch nonetheless.
Hard to pick a winner but the explorer ii and iwc might just be nudging it and your version of the PO is the best
As for the c5a.... dont forget!!!
I haven't forgotten, Paul. Don't worry. :thumbup:
Richard
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

That’s a nice collection Richard; no wonder it’s quite stable. There’s nothing superfluous there.

As the other side of your late Bremont S300 trade, I have to say there’s proof right there that 2 of the same model can co-exist in a collection. The blue / black offer respectively more modern / retro vibes, and the white, on your list, has an altogether different sense of freshness. Good luck with your ménage à trois being completed next year.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
downer

Post by downer »

0uatiOW wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:10 pm That’s a nice collection Richard; no wonder it’s quite stable. There’s nothing superfluous there.

As the other side of your late Bremont S300 trade, I have to say there’s proof right there that 2 of the same model can co-exist in a collection. The blue / black offer respectively more modern / retro vibes, and the white, on your list, has an altogether different sense of freshness. Good luck with your ménage à trois being completed next year.
Yeah, the white S300 is quite different, with a textured dial. The challenge is to find one at a sensible price on a bracelet. Most of them are for sale with the rubber and nato combo - and I've seen a few decent deals on those. Problem is, to buy an additional bracelet is somewhat eye-watering.

Still, there's no rush. :D
Richard
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Fantastic collection Richard. My favourites - the POLM (have been wearing mine all weekend coincidentally), the IWC and the Polar Explorer - but would be pleased to own any of these watches.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

A fantastic collection - I covet thy IWC the most. In fact, I could make quite the dream SOTC from various forum members wrists! :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Cracking collection Richard. Love the PO and the IWC.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Does no wrist shot of the Explorer mean you no longer wear it very often?

Every time I see the IWC I regret not getting out my credit card when I tried one on at Heathrow. It may well have cured my integrated sports watch fetish. :)

An excellent collection. Rather predictably my picks are the trio of Rolex, the IWC and the Speedmaster.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
downer

Post by downer »

Thanks again, guys.
nbg wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:02 pm Does no wrist shot of the Explorer mean you no longer wear it very often?

Every time I see the IWC I regret not getting out my credit card when I tried one on at Heathrow. It may well have cured my integrated sports watch fetish. :)

An excellent collection. Rather predictably my picks are the trio of Rolex, the IWC and the Speedmaster.

Neil
No, the lack of Explorer wrist shots is down to Tapatalk. More recently I have tended to snap the wrist shot on the phone, upload it via tapatalk and delete it off the phone. I could have searched the forum for a wrist shot (I'm sure there will be some) but I was too lazy.

As for the IWC, it certainly saved me a few quid as there are any number of expensive watches that would fill the same slot in my collection, but I've managed to resist - because of the IWC.

Richard
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Aye, not bad. :)

Seriously, there are some gems in your collection that anyone would be pleased to own. Not the Bremonts though, obvs. ;)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

An excellent collection Richard and certainly one to be envious of for many.

Thanks for sharing as always. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Excellent Richard. I do somewhat envy you re the stability of your collection, not to mention the lovely watches...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

A couple of very nice additions to an already outstanding collection Richard :clap:

Gun to head, your IWC and Polar are the pick of the bunch for me. Not envious though :wink:
Ryan
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I like that collection Downer. Very nice.

I hadn’t seen that IWC before. Any idea if that’s the ‘inspiration’ for the C2/c20?
downer

Post by downer »

Cheers, All
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:16 pm
I hadn’t seen that IWC before. Any idea if that’s the ‘inspiration’ for the C2/c20?
I don't think there's any doubt that the Gerald Genta designed Ingenieur was the inspiration for the C2/20. It was a '70's design and there have been a number of iterations from IWC since then.

This article charts some of the history. https://monochrome-watches.com/watchtim ... ingenieur/

My own history with Ingenieur started with a 2011 Laureus LE from their "vintage collection", which was a modern take on the original design...

It was a lovely watch but perhaps (at 42.5mm x 14mm) slightly oversized for what it was. In the end I decided to swap it for my current version - a 2015 Laureus Limited edition of 1500. This version is 40mm x 10mm.
Richard
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Interesting stuff, thanks for the background info. That Laureus looks fabulous. 40mm would be absolutely the right size for me