Thegreyman SOTC - September 2020

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Thegreyman SOTC - September 2020

Post by Thegreyman »

Hello all. I have a few days off work so thought I'd take the opportunity to do an SOTC. Looking back, I was amazed to see it was April 2017 when I last did one, no surprises that there are only 3 survivors in the collection :lol:

Firstly apologies for my poor photography skills and my crappy watch boxes, which definitely need upgraded to something a bit nicer.

The watches, which for the purposes of trying to create a logical sequence (and to placate the OCD amongst us), are in alphabetical order from left to right:
P1100391.JPG
P1100392.JPG
P1100393.JPG

Then a bit more of a close up, one by one:
P1100394.JPG
Casio digital, bought on holiday some time ago in Spain possibly for 20 Euros, every collection needs one. Handy for cycling or other beater duties. Having said that I have cycled in pretty much all of my watches so not too precious about them.
P1100395.JPG
CW Trident 2012 FLE Scooter blue - one of the survivors from my last SOTC. A classic CW Trident mk1, 1 of only 50 made in a unique teal blue colour. Possibly usurped as my favourite blue watch by a subsequent CW purchase (see below).
P1100396.JPG
C65 Ombre COSC LE - I bought this NN at the start of the year and was brand new when it arrived. My only ever bronze watch. I wasn't sure if I would like the patinated effect and would want to take back to a raw state. Despite only wearing in rotation, it is now already getting some patina and it doesn't really bother me so I may let it develop further. The aged vintage strap really works well with the Ombre. This is the original and is starting to look pretty bare. Luckily I have a spare brand new one so that may need to go onto it at some point.
P1100397.JPG
C65 Dartmouth - bought NN in the summer from CW. I love this watch, probably the favourite CW I have ever owned (and there have been a few). I bought it on the v2 hybrid which I may put it back onto at some point, but managed to pick up a new bracelet on the forum and I think it looks great on a bracelet. Being a chronometer it is very accurate too. My most worn watch since I got it I am fairly sure.
P1100398.JPG
Halios Seaforth - I bought this about two years ago. There were quite a few of these bought by members of the forum. A great 40mm size, lovely bright summer colours these watches were too. I have a matching blue Barton silicon that goes really well with the watch but due to lack of a proper summer holiday this year, the watch stayed on its Ginault bracelet all year.
P1100399.JPG
Hamilton ref 9367 chronograph - I started to get designs on a watch with a bit of gold in it. I resisted the temptation to buy a Tudor S & G chrono and instead went with this less expensive vintage option. This is my first and only Valjoux 7750 "wobbler" movement powered watch and it makes me smile every time it does wobble, as it did when I picked it up to take this photo. I'm not much of a chrono guy, this is the only one in the collection. The watch was serviced just before I got it, and it is amazingly accurate considering it dates from the 1980s.
P1100400.JPG
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date - I bought this on a family trip we had to New York in 2018, it was bought in a jewellers on Broadway. It is a great dress watch. The day/date complication particularly appeals, I would have a Rolex Day/Date if I could justify spending that amount of money on one (which I can't) but this is a bargain alternative!
P1100401.JPG
Omega Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE - I always fancied getting an Omega and it took me a while to settle on which model, an older PO was my thought due to the slimmer movement and decent 42mm size (finding the current models too tall as well as either too small 39.5mm or too large 43.5, 45). Having read up a bit on the different older PO variants, the POLM was the one that stood out. It's killer feature is the glossy ceramic dial which I think is beautiful. These are fairly rare as they were an LE of only 1900 or so but I found this nice example.
P1100402.JPG
Omega Seamaster Professional - having not really been that attracted to many of Omega's current range, I saw the white dial, black bezel variant of the SMP and decided it could be for me. When the AD's re-opened after lockdown, I visited a local one and bought this watch. I think the colour scheme works so well, a beautiful dial on this watch, display back showing off the Co-Axial 8800 movement. I went for the rubber strap for a more casual look (no-one wears a suit any more or goes into an office, right?!). Amazingly accurate being a "Master" chronometer.
P1100408.JPG
Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 510 - I'd always thought Panerai watches were a bit large, a bit vulgar and what was that crown guard contraption all about anyway. One day whilst passing the Panerai AD in Edinburgh I saw a pre-owned Luminor. I tried it on and hey presto I got it. No, not the watch but the point of the Panerai, i.e. they are meant to be oversized, a bit of a statement, and its appeal really hit home for me. I went back to the AD some time later and tried on a few models and went for this handwound P5000 IHM 8 day power reserve model. 44mm but quite slim and a L2L slightly less than a CW C11 so just about wearable for my slim wrist. I need to get round to swapping the strap on this. I only have 4 straps for it which is probably quite embarassingly few for any self respecting PAM owner!
P1100404.JPG
Rolex Submariner 114060 - a casual trip into town with my wife and thought I'd put my name down for a Sub, a month or two later and a phone call out of the blue and I was the owner of my first (well actually only) Rolex. An iconic model and although the maxi case isn't for all tastes, this is a great watch. I've now owned it for well over 3 years. The size is just right at 40mm. It's a brand that does divide opinion but if you leave all the BS aside, they are great watches and so well made.
P1100405.JPG
Tag Heuer Carrera - I bought this on a family trip to Florida in the mid noughties for my birthday. It is the only watch in the collection that I can say for certain that I won't sell as it has some sentimental meaning for me. It's such an elegant dressy sports watch. Very well made, an accurate Calibre 5 movement which can be seen through the display back. I got this on the Tag leather strap with deployant which I still have, but last year managed to pick up a brand new OEM bracelet which it is on at the moment.
P1100411.JPG
Tudor Black Bay 79220N - the BB has been such a popular model in the past 5 years since Tudor ignited their revival by releasing the first of the BB's at Baselworld 2015 (or was it 2014). So many variants have been released now. This is one of the ETA movement powered early BB's and quite a rare model as only on sale for a few months. Slimmer than the IHM which makes it desirable to some, albeit Tudor have now addressed that to an extent with the BB58 and BB58 blue (shouldn't be long until we see one of these on the forum, I would imagine).
P1100407.JPG
Tudor North Flag - my most recent acquisition. I had tried a NF on a few times in the past and it has always been on my shortlist of potential acquisitions. I decided to get one for my birthday this month. It has quite an individual look with the PR indicator and integrated Genta-esque bracelet. A great watch and accurate too with the Tudor IHM behind a display case back, the only Tudor I believe to have that feature. Somehow they managed to make the NF with the IHM not as tall as the BB.

Anyway, that filled a few hours of my holiday. Hope you enjoyed my SOTC :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Thegreyman SOTC - September 2020

Post by 0uatiOW »

That is a very impressive collection. I always like a little back story, so thanks for that. I particularly like the Hamilton Chrono - especially, strangely enough, the scarred bezel....

The PAM looks slightly out of place, bezel-less if that can be turned into a word, but also because of the size. I have similar tastes to yours (evidently) and I have recently started to wonder whether I could wear a Luminor (I’ve been admiring the Blu Mare) but have been concerned about the size. Being larger than the rest of your collection, do you think it wears large?

All in all, a collection to be celebrated, which I guess is what SOTC posts are for.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Magnificent collection, Patrick. I appreciate the comments per each watch, it makes it more enjoyable to review your collection knowing the thought you put behind each acquisition. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
John
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks for sharing. There are some really nice pieces in that collection.

I found your comment on going for the 42mm PO rather than 39.5 or 43.5 interesting. It's on my wishlist and finding the right size for me may be trickier than I thought
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Fantastic collection Patrick :thumbup:
Great to read the stories/comments relating to each watch :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting write up of an excellent solid collection. :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with a maxi case Submariner Patrick. :)

What happened to the BB-GMT?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Rockmastermike
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rockmastermike »

Brilliant SOTC! All situations covered and ready GADA
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Lovely collection Patrick and also enjoyed the small description behind each one.

Also find it interesting that the colours of your more expensive watches are very conservative. Is that a consideration when making larger purchases or just the way it's turned out?
Ryan
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Wow...your lower box is incredible, I'd kill for any one of those pieces. I tried on an identical Omega SMP on rubber just recently. What an amazing watch, the dial is a resplendent white, and the bezel action is nothing short of butter smooth. A perfect size that just disappears on the wrist. Owning all of those heavy hitters it's the Tag that you reserve greatest affection for. Tag often seem to get a bad press in some watch circles, but I think that Carrera is just beautiful. In fact, there was one knocking around in the sales corner for a long time; I'm amazed it didn't sell.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

An ABC collection, Patrick. Congratulations...choosing one in the morning must give you a headache!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

That is one super collection you have there, Patrick!!..there's not a single offering of yours that I wouldn't enjoy wearing myself...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

A fine collection. I’m not one for dress watches but I’ve continually been attracted to the Jazzmaster day date. It’s a very understated and elegant design; and I particularly like the symmetry of the day and date at 12 and 6.

But I have a request, please stop posting pictures of your Luminor, it’s causing me anguish and I might do something stupid as a consequence.
Tim
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Outstanding collection Patrick!! Throughly enjoyed the read, pictures and back stories. Great post
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Outstanding collection, great variety too. In watch collecting/ownership terms strikes me as a very mature collection and I mean that as a compliment i.e. been through the stages and settled on quality, considered pieces that appeal for the right reasons.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

Excellent collection! I would be happy with any one of those..
I read elsewhere that you had a CW Hornet? You didn't feel it was a keeper..?
Thanks for sharing the presentation and your thoughts on each piece.
Ian