Thegreyman SOTC - September 2020

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Thegreyman SOTC - September 2020

Post by Thegreyman »

Thanks for the comments guys :thumbup:

To answer a few specific points:
0uatiOW wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:26 pm I particularly like the Hamilton Chrono - especially, strangely enough, the scarred bezel....

The PAM looks slightly out of place, bezel-less if that can be turned into a word, but also because of the size. I have similar tastes to yours (evidently) and I have recently started to wonder whether I could wear a Luminor (I’ve been admiring the Blu Mare) but have been concerned about the size. Being larger than the rest of your collection, do you think it wears large?
I did ask Hamilton if they could replace the bezel, but they don't have spares, but maybe it is a good thing to show the character and age of the watch. Perhaps replacing it would be akin to me having botox to get rid of a few wrinkles, not very becoming :lol:

I said it above but the point of the PAM is it is meant to stand out, be a bit out of the norm, so I like it for that. The hw models much slimmer than the auto. I think you would be surprised how well the 44mm models wear. Of course there are now 42 and 40mm models so they are broadening their appeal but I recommend you try a 44mm first.
nbg wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:51 pm
What happened to the BB-GMT?

Neil
Neil, I sold the GMT partly to make way for the SMP. It is a lovely watch but I would say I ultimately found it a little slab sided and decided it would go to try and keep the collection under some sort of control. That plan didn't last for long when I bought another Tudor the following month :problem:
StrappedUp wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:59 pm Lovely collection Patrick and also enjoyed the small description behind each one.

Also find it interesting that the colours of your more expensive watches are very conservative. Is that a consideration when making larger purchases or just the way it's turned out?
Thanks Ryan. Interesting question. I think I have flirted with colourful watches quite a bit, and in general I do like bright colours. I've found however that I always seem to come back to finding black to be the perfect colour for a watch dial hence it will always dominate the collection. Perhaps black with a modest splashes of colour works best e.g. the yellow of the NF or the red on the PO. I did go for a white dialled SMP of course and wouldn't rule out other non-black watches in the future e.g. the BB58 blue looks nice, although nothing further planned at present.
strapline wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:09 pm Wow...your lower box is incredible, I'd kill for any one of those pieces. I tried on an identical Omega SMP on rubber just recently. What an amazing watch, the dial is a resplendent white, and the bezel action is nothing short of butter smooth. A perfect size that just disappears on the wrist. Owning all of those heavy hitters it's the Tag that you reserve greatest affection for. Tag often seem to get a bad press in some watch circles, but I think that Carrera is just beautiful. In fact, there was one knocking around in the sales corner for a long time; I'm amazed it didn't sell.

Des
Thanks Des. Yes the SMP is lovely and the bezel action is superb (although I funnily enough I am sure I read a few criticisms of it :? ). The Tag is an absolutely lovely watch. Back in the 90s and 00's, Tag was the brand that a lot of people aspired to own (probably now replaced by Rolex in the past 10 years) and a lot of people I know bought one when finances permitted. The Carrera is very well made, very accurate and although my main reason for keeping it is sentimental, it is still a cracking watch. I think Tag have lost their way with some of their more recent models although there are some of the range that I still like including the Aquaracer and new Autavia autos.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:12 pm An ABC collection, Patrick. Congratulations...choosing one in the morning must give you a headache!
Steve, it is a fairly random process that gets about 5 seconds of deliberation :lol:
timor54 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 pm A fine collection. I’m not one for dress watches but I’ve continually been attracted to the Jazzmaster day date. It’s a very understated and elegant design; and I particularly like the symmetry of the day and date at 12 and 6.

But I have a request, please stop posting pictures of your Luminor, it’s causing me anguish and I might do something stupid as a consequence.
Tim, couldn't agree more with the Jazzmaster. The day date symmetry is perfect and one of the main reasons I was attracted to the watch (as an alternative to a Rolex Day Date at some £40k or whatever more expensive :( :shock: )

I'd recommend at least trying a Panerai out to settle your anguish one way or the other. I apologise in advance about flaunting it, I'll try not to do that so often.

Oops sorry!
Tortoise wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 am Excellent collection! I would be happy with any one of those..
I read elsewhere that you had a CW Hornet? You didn't feel it was a keeper..?
Thanks Ian. The Hornet was sold on the forum a few months ago, again mainly to keep the collection to a manageable and wearable number. I have sold a number of great watches that I enjoyed wearing in pursuit of others and probably am no different to a number of people in that regard. I've possibly described watches in the past as keepers but have learned it doesn't always work out that way. You'll see in my original post that only the Tag I would consider as a keeper and unsaleable, everything else we will just have to see in time.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Some mightily impressive watches you have there.

Standing head and shoulders above the rest is naturally the 2012 CW FLE scooter blue.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:14 am

I'd recommend at least trying a Panerai out to settle your anguish one way or the other. I apologise in advance about flaunting it, I'll try not to do that so often.

That's the crux of the problem. I've tried on a 44mm Luminor and it's a wonderful fit and feel, hence the anguish. My watch box is full and I refuse to buy another/larger one as it's the only way I can control my addiction :(
Tim
timeonourhands
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by timeonourhands »

I always enjoy the SOTC posts. You have a great collection.
Thank you for taking the time to do it.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Only just seen this Patrick - I’d lost track at how many you’d added! Collection is looking fantastic mate. I do think you need a Bremont in there though :wink:
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Awesome collection! I really liked the rundown with thoughts on each individual piece and where it falls in the collection and why. The stories behind the watches are more often more fascinating to me than the pieces themselves.
Thegreyman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:14 am Thanks for the comments guys :thumbup:

To answer a few specific points:
0uatiOW wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:26 pm I particularly like the Hamilton Chrono - especially, strangely enough, the scarred bezel....
I did ask Hamilton if they could replace the bezel, but they don't have spares, but maybe it is a good thing to show the character and age of the watch. Perhaps replacing it would be akin to me having botox to get rid of a few wrinkles, not very becoming :lol:
I wouldn't change that bezel even if you could. I think a new bezel would throw off the current balance and at any rate, it wouldn't look like your watch anymore. I have had several friends send in tried and true watches for a service and get them back pristine only to turn around and sell them because they don't connect anymore.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Thegreyman SOTC - September 2020

Post by gaf1958 »

Great collection Patrick, very impressive set of watches there. While I’ve never owned a G-Shock (and probably never will), the rest would do me nicely, not a single one would be out of place. Well, maybe I could polish the gold off that Hamilton; despite being older than you, I’m still not feeling old enough for two tone... ;)
Well done mate!

This is why the SOTC posts are among my favourites...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Good stuff Patrick! Difficult to pick a favourite, but if pressed I'd go for that Omega SMP, something special about that one.

Enjoy!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
downer

Post by downer »

Bit late, and a bit repetitive but... Great collection!

The POLM is - of course - the standout watch. :D
Richard
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

scooter wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:19 am
Standing head and shoulders above the rest is naturally the 2012 CW FLE scooter blue.

scooter
Thanks scooter, I thought you might favour that one!
TigerChris wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:33 pm Only just seen this Patrick - I’d lost track at how many you’d added! Collection is looking fantastic mate. I do think you need a Bremont in there though :wink:
Cheers Chris, Bremont is a brand I will keep my eye on, I know you're a fan. One day maybe I will pick one up.
rkovars wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:06 pm
I wouldn't change that bezel even if you could. I think a new bezel would throw off the current balance and at any rate, it wouldn't look like your watch anymore. I have had several friends send in tried and true watches for a service and get them back pristine only to turn around and sell them because they don't connect anymore.
I think you are right, it is probably just as well that I've kept the originality of the watch with the scars of its c.35 years of life :)
gaf1958 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:08 pm Great collection Patrick, very impressive set of watches there. While I’ve never owned a G-Shock (and probably never will), the rest would do me nicely, not a single one would be out of place. Well, maybe I could polish the gold off that Hamilton; despite being older than you, I’m still not feeling old enough for two tone... ;)
Well done mate!
Thanks Gary. The Casio is actually just a simple Casio, not a G-shock, a little smaller and was pretty cheap too. I don't think it would quite take the punishment of a G-shock. Like you, I'm not really a G-shock fan. Re the gold, I think you are just in denial, embrace it as I have done :lol:
H0rati0 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:45 pm Good stuff Patrick! Difficult to pick a favourite, but if pressed I'd go for that Omega SMP, something special about that one.

Enjoy!
Nik, thanks yes the SMP is a beauty. I was going to say I was still in the honeymoon period with it, but then I got the North Flag! Definitely glad I have the SMP.
downer wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:51 pm Bit late, and a bit repetitive but... Great collection!

The POLM is - of course - the standout watch. :D
Thought you might go for that one Richard! Rightly so though, that dial is gorgeous :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A belated contribution Patrick, having been on holiday myself last week with only my phone to read the forum, and its not really conducive to reading extensive posts.

Thank you for taking the time to write up a back story on each watch, no mean feat considering your collection has enlarged somewhat since January last year when we met up on the GTG weekend.

Hard to select a stand out piece as they are all fine, but the POLM looks mightily impressive and of course the PAM; which you need to either sell or buy a bigger watch box for, as it overlaps its segment (I'll suggest either the CW boxes or one from WOLF).

Any other acquisitions in the pipeline?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:31 pm A belated contribution Patrick, having been on holiday myself last week with only my phone to read the forum, and its not really conducive to reading extensive posts.

Thank you for taking the time to write up a back story on each watch, no mean feat considering your collection has enlarged somewhat since January last year when we met up on the GTG weekend.

Hard to select a stand out piece as they are all fine, but the POLM looks mightily impressive and of course the PAM; which you need to either sell or buy a bigger watch box for, as it overlaps its segment (I'll suggest either the CW boxes or one from WOLF).

Any other acquisitions in the pipeline?

Guy
Hi Guy, yes I do need to invest in a better watch box or two, might be a Christmas present idea for me.

Having recently added the NF, there is nothing in the pipeline for new additions. Of course with Christmas not long away, that would give a good excuse if I see something before then. I’ll be keeping an eye on any new CW releases.
Patrick

MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I'm also very late 'to the party' but you have a great collection Patrick.
Nicely varied with a good few exceptional quality pieces too.
My standouts would be the POLM also, the 300m and the Submariner.
Great to see that the Dartmouth gets lots of wrist time, I adore my one also.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

MiniMpi wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:07 am I'm also very late 'to the party' but you have a great collection Patrick.
Nicely varied with a good few exceptional quality pieces too.
My standouts would be the POLM also, the 300m and the Submariner.
Great to see that the Dartmouth gets lots of wrist time, I adore my one also.
Thanks Ferg, yes the Dartmouth is one of the CW's best of the current crop, if not of all their watches.

Just saw your recent comments on your own SOTC thread, you need to get that Omega planned in for the near future!
Patrick

Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Well, I got here in the end. Love the collection Patrick. There’s certainly a few in there that I’d happily wear myself. Interesting to read that you really like the Dartmouth. It is a surprisingly good looking watch.
Steve.