AVO SOTC - August 2020

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

AVO SOTC - August 2020

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A few have come and gone since I last did one of these posts over two years ago. (I did an interim CW one last year).

Recently I moved on an Orient Yellow Mako and four of my CWs (C3 Mk1, C3 Mk3, MMXV Slimline FLE, C60 Trident GMT). A few other bits and pieces have moved on; none of them has caused me any particular regrets.

Main additions are: C65 Trident Diver; C5 Malvern Mk1 (replacing one I sold years ago); MeisterSinger Metris.

So, I suppose you could call this the Modern Box.

0F6FB523-7A38-4337-A3EA-D794922902E4.jpeg

The front row contains the watches I wear the most. I consider the Speedy my go to watch, and the Tank my go to dress watch. The C65 is a great watch you could wear any time, but it’s really good in warm weather with that adjustable bracelet and it looks great in the sunshine. The MeisterSinger was bought recently as my retirement watch, with holidays and travel in mind, but it is getting quite a lot of wear.

The ones at the back are worn less, but they get the odd outing. The Orient is pretty much relegated to beater duties these days, though it’s a really nice watch and has done plenty of holiday service in the past.

And now for the vintage mob. I have found myself wearing these much less recently, so it’s nice to get them all wound and ticking along. I used to regard vintages as watches I could wear every day, but these days they are much more likely to find their way onto the wrist for the odd evening or Sunday.

6087CE6E-7558-453D-981F-4C5B6D52845F.jpeg

Left to right, in what I think is age order: Marvin Officer’s Trench Watch (1917); Leonidas chronograph (c. 1950s); Avia (1957, birth year watch); Omega cal. 286 (c. 1961); Smiths Astral (1964); Enicar Ocean Pearl (c. 1960s); the “Pidduck” Longines* (1966); Eterna Kon-Tiki 20 (c. 1970s).

*Pidduck was a jeweller in my home town, so when I saw this in 2012 I had to have it!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: AVO SOTC - August 2020

Post by Thegreyman »

A lovely collection you have Steve and nicely split into the modern and the vintage boxes.

Of the modern ones, the front row is cracking with a couple of icons in the Speedy and Tank. It's also a nice contrast between the classic CW (C5) and the modern range (C65).

Whilst I'm not massively into vintage watches, although I've owned a couple, these do look good. The Leonidas is interesting and the Trench watch looks remarkably well for being > 100 years old.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A lovely tight collection to settle into your retirement with Steve.

Maybe with all the free time you get you'll be able to wear your vintage pieces more often, alternatively you might find you'll wear your Metris 90% of the time.

I'm surprised you let the yellow Mako go, thought you really liked that as a get wettable summer watch.

Did I miss the departure of your Animals? Perhaps they counted as 'other bits and pieces'.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sometimes you have to be a bit ruthless, Guy. A few things have been gifted or traded privately, and as for the Yellow Mako I wasn’t wearing it and someone on the forum here REALLY wanted it! :lol:

And yes, I’m hoping to wear vintages a bit more, especially the odd quiet day at home or in the evening. The Metris is a wonderful watch to wear when you really don’t have to do anything. I do find that if I’m dodging around, doing jobs, shopping, going to the gym or into town or whatever, I do slightly prefer wearing a three-hand watch. But – sitting by a pool, strolling off to some nice little café, long lazy evenings in a restaurant and the odd bar – yes, it will be perfect!
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Its the way it goes Steve. Don't blame you one iota.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Very nice collection Steve. I’m in complete agreement about the Metris, it’s the one watch that makes me smile whenever I look at it.

The C65 in the only CW that I regret selling. If it hadn’t been for my BB58 I’d still have it, but you indeed have to be ruthless sometimes.

I must also be getting old as that Tank is increasingly appealing to me, although I don’t think I could get on with that nipple of a crown. Maybe it’d have to be a Santos instead :-k
Tim
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Very nice all round.

And it reminds me what a great design those C70s were.
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

One heck of a fine a** collection, sir!!..I really like both the Speedy & The Tank, in particular(I also own them)..keep on collecting!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Oh my, how the AVO of only six or seven years ago would be sitting, squirming in his seat, just itching to say something. :lol:

I think they’re a couple of great sets Steve. The modern lot are just lovely; the vintage crowd equally so, even if just a little too too much on the gold side for me.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I still very much like that Leonidas :thumbup:
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Amor Vincit Omnia

Thunder1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:36 pm ..keep on collecting!!..
A couple of days ago I went into Norwich to get a few things. I spent a couple of hours in the city and didn’t look at a single shop window containing watches.

Never say never, but I think it would take something pretty special to make me want to buy another watch. That is today’s opinion of course.

I feel absolutely no urge to keep on collecting. 8)
Steve

nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

Lovely collection AVO, a really nice balance.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Good to hear that you have reached a contented state of wristwear. :)

Plenty of choice.

16 seems a sensible number to me, with a mix of modern and vintage. Interesting to see the contrast in colour between the old and the new.

Other than the Speedmaster, the one that I am always drawn to is the Kon-Tiki. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

A very nice rounded collection. You would be surprised to hear if I could pinch one it would be the smiths. I inherited the same one from Lisa's granddad but it has unfortunately died even though I had it serviced when I got it. I have recently been told it would be uneconomical to repair. Your one is even my birth year! I could put the engraved back from my one into yours and have a birthyear watch with family sentimental value You better watch out for a particularly chunky burglar!
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia

nbg wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:49 am Other than the Speedmaster, the one that I am always drawn to is the Kon-Tiki. :thumbup:
It is, to be fair, a slight oddity in the context of my collection because I’m not particularly keen on 1970s watches or cushion cases. However, I have had a fascination with the Kon-Tiki story from childhood – sat there reading the book with my dad when I was about nine.

I was talking about these watches when visiting a local jeweller and vintage dealer a year or two back. He went into the back room and produced this. The dial was completely shot and he said he was going to have it redone in Italy. So I asked him to put it on reserve for me. End of story.

C266FEAE-92E5-49AF-A5FA-816F19FC6B23.jpeg
Steve