SOTC - heffergm - 6 Marzo 2020

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
heffergm
Junior
Junior

SOTC - heffergm - 6 Marzo 2020

Post by heffergm »

Well, here it is, as much as '3' is a collection anyway. The Rado is a recent addition, bought used and only slightly damaged :? (soon to be taken care of).

I think I might have room for one more, but that's about it. I have ~6.3cm wrists, 38mm is basically my sweet spot, probably 36mm if I ever bought a dress watch (luckily I haven't found any I like yet). The Dan Henry is a bit big, but at 45.7mm lug to lug it works, and it makes a nice lightweight go out and do whatever watch. The Rado at 37mm doesn't really feel any different size wise than the CW at 38mm.

I guess I kinda like divers... even though the Rado is about as much a diver as my dog is a cat.
collection.jpg
rado1.jpg
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: SOTC - heffergm - 6 Marzo 2020

Post by EddieTheBeast »

A nice three watch collection. I like the look of the Rado, which looks good on the leather strap and the steel mesh bracelet. The Rado is the one watch out of the three that I haven't owned - is the dial brown?
Dean
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

I guess there are some brown tones to it... I think 'wheat gold' would be the best description I could come up with.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Very nice. Aspects of the Dan Henry remind me of a Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 68.

I've always liked the Rado CC but haven't seen it in person yet to discover what the 37 & 42 wear like. How do you find the quality of the watch?

I guess you decided to keep the 38mm Trident then and to return the 40mm?!
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

Yeah, I kept the 38mm C60. I just felt like it was easier to wear. I get that people like the look of the 40, but I think on my wrist it's just too much (for me anyway). I've discovered I really value light and comfortable over pretty much all else.

The Rado is interesting. I have to get the crown fixed (took a bit of a hit, slightly bent)... minus a point for no crown guard I guess. The lack of quick release spring bars is annoying, although I guess they've fixed that recently. The dial and crystal are the stars of the show... lots of distortion, reflections, depth... all of which make it harder to tell the time since the hands blend in a little, but this one is essentially jewelry to me. Beautiful leather strap. Great mesh strap, which I'd wear if the clasp didn't feel like it would release if you breathe on it, so I need to get that fixed along with the crown. Beautifully thin. The date window is slightly 'off', you can see a strip of black to one side... I scanned the internet for other pictures of them, and it seems to be normal...

I think given what I paid for it, it's well done and a great piece. Again, the dial/crystal/size are just fantastic. At $2k though... for me, that'd be asking a bit much. It feels like a $1500 (new) watch to me. I'm incredibly picky though... the previous owner didn't even notice the crown damage.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Agreed, the Rado dial and crystal look superb from the videos I have seen of it. Overall it is different enough to have it's own unique look which is a rare thing these days with so many similar designs around.

Like you say, although we might use it to tell the time, much of the appreciation comes from the moments it catches your eye as light hits the watch from a certain angle and at this point the time doesn't matter, or whether it is easy to read. The Oris diver sixty five also does this for me too, despite the average technical specs which makes it worth much more than the sum of its parts.

Enjoy the collection and the new CW :thumbup:
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

That's a nice collection :thumbup:

Funnily enough I've been looking at the Rado CC - I love its vintage style.
My local AD has one but it's the 37mm version which is too small for me - not tried the 42mm.
Problem I have is, in my mind, the price has put me off (especially in it's price category).
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

When recently trying on the Aquis at local AD I took the chance to try the 42 CC, the dial and crystal were exceptional and it was nicely retro and different to other 'divers'. It wore quite small and neatly compared to say a C60 or Aquis and agree with the OPs observation feels a bit more like jewelry. Very pretty and looks good on your wrist. Nice little collection you have there, seems well considered 👍
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Nice trio!

I used to own a DH1970 and what a great watch it is for the money.

The Rado CC I've not yet tried one on but am planning to. I have only seen green and black dialled versions so interesting to see your gold one.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

StrapMeister wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:10 am That's a nice collection :thumbup:

Funnily enough I've been looking at the Rado CC - I love its vintage style.
My local AD has one but it's the 37mm version which is too small for me - not tried the 42mm.
Problem I have is, in my mind, the price has put me off (especially in it's price category).
Yeah, like I said, at the €2150.00 the original buyer paid, I'm not really interested. But at the $1200 USD I got it for, I'm enjoying it.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A very nice trio. What comes next, I wonder? 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
v8power
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by v8power »

Someone seen only three watches here. I clearly see Spectre Omega 300 next :)
Watch out :)
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

Haha. I could see an Omega, but more likely a 300M diver, and they'd have to make one in a 38mm for me to go there, which I don't see happening.

I'm not really a fan of the Submariner-style, and Tudor's don't really float my boat either. I'd probably have bought a Baltic Aquascaphe already if it weren't for the 47mm lug-to-lug. I refuse to break my 46mm limit, especially on anything approaching 40mm. Same with the Nodus, beautiful but too big for me (https://www.noduswatches.com/duality-pr ... hasm-black). You can see why finding something like the Rado CC (and the CW C60 38mm) was like the proverbial needle in the haystack...

I really like the anOrdain (https://anordain.com/collections/model- ... iron-cream) but it's a pretty penny for something I probably wouldn't wear a lot.

I like the Farer Leven (https://usd.farer.com/products/leven), and 45mm lug-to-lug!, but again, a pretty penny for a micro. Feels like a big commitment, whereas the Rado I could flip pretty easily and not loose much if anything.
v8power
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by v8power »

That Farer's case looks very close to "cigarette era autavia" style. Love this kind of cases so much. I'd prefer Hamilton PanEurop or Autavia CY2110 itself, but Levin looks cool for me too.
Watch out :)
Watsontotty

Post by Watsontotty »

How do you find the Dan Henry ?