Blue is the Colour - SOTBDWC nbg - January 2020

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Blue is the Colour - SOTBDWC nbg - January 2020

Post by nbg »

Wasn’t sure where to put this! :)

It’s not a full collection, so it may break convention to post it here. On the other hand it doesn’t fit in other brands, general discussion or off topic, as it’s a mix of brands.

Decided to put it here, as it’s the state of the blue dial watch collection. :)

I don’t have a pic, of them all together in one shot, as they are not all in the same place. Instead I thought I would use a few existing pics. I have reached the conclusion that with black dials it’s generally just a case of is it matt or gloss, however all blue dials seem to be different.

In January 2014 I was attracted by the nearly new sale resulting in the C9. A lovely dial and it’s easy to recognise the model that it takes it’s design clues from. I had previously tried on a C9 during a showroom visit, but obviously didn’t pay too much attention, as at 43mm it is larger than I would normally wear for this style of watch.
A7C5DC2F-1A28-4785-B176-59C096D52703.jpeg
EBC6D998-683B-4612-8C12-1B7A81A2C095.jpeg
February 2015 saw the arrival of the Milgauss. Over the course of a couple of weeks I tried on new in London ADs a GMT Master II, Submariner and the white and two black dial versions of the Milgauss. To try on the blue MG I wandered in to Watchfinder, who had a couple of unworn versions at about £100 less than RRP. Decided I wanted a new from AD with my name on the card and received a call from the AD about a week later. How times change!

It is a watch that divides opinion, as to many the combination of blue, green and orange is a bit weird. I like it. It tends to be a watch I often end up taking on walking holidays, as it is robust, but also smart if we end up eating in decent places in the evening. Mrs nbg refers to it as my bling Rolex. :lol:
A76AE143-9159-49AB-AF3A-B6E39D40C145.jpeg
515ED76A-DDF2-48E9-9C34-9D8B0FD3C4E3.jpeg
I have always liked Seiko, but had been put off from trying an SKX009 because of the stated dimensions. I ended up trying one on in a local AD and realised that in reality it wore far smaller than my 43mm Tridents. In July 2017 I bought this one from Guy.
FA22F229-9D3B-405B-8570-1BEA3134427E.jpeg
EDE003FC-737B-4831-B2BB-C1F78C2E5394.jpeg
In the same month another forum friend Paul (Stefs) PMd me when I mentioned I wished I had gone for a blue dial Trident Pro 38mm in the clearance earlier that month. I was on holiday at the time, with no card reader or access to a bank branch. My mobile banking app at the time meant I had to do separate payments a day apart. IIRC when I told Paul I had just sent the 2nd payment he responded that he had already posted it, as he knew I would pay. :thumbup:

A watch I like and ideal for the beach.
1B9F1081-CDCB-41B8-84A4-49D7C9C4C6DB.jpeg
205B47CC-5BDC-430C-9F2F-85DBC7C96F22.jpeg
For me a watch needs to be “just right”. Whilst I have a few favourite brands, I have never subscribed to the view of buying them regardless of any aspects I dislike. For that reason I thought I was done with new model CWs until the Dartmouth was released. I tried one on at the London GTG and decided that I would buy one on a bracelet when a few turned up in nearly new. A message from a friend earlier in the week mentioned a NN Dartmouth had appeared. 10 minutes later the order was placed and deed was done. Thank you Greg! :clap:

The watch arrived yesterday. The watch is in new condition. Also fair to say I am impressed with the quality and shape of the new packaging. Really pleased with the watch, the blue looks much better than it does on the website or under artificial light.
E24D3571-9057-4D68-AD02-91C9DEF852DC.jpeg
FFF72CDC-299C-4074-B473-23A460518A72.jpeg
If you got to the end of this long ramble thank you for looking. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Re: Blue is the Colour - SOTBDWC nbg - January 2020

Post by mabotham »

I like how the c9 has aged. The case was too big for me but now has a classic look.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A fab five there Neil.

Beautiful blue dial on the C9, only the size would be a little large for me.

The Milgauss is a watch I thought about buying at the end of last year, before I ended up getting my POLM. It's quirky and just a bit different from the more common sub/DJ/OP.

Seikos I generally find a little too large but again they do a great Pepsi diver in so many different guises. My son's Pepsi sea urchin being his daily wearer.

I've always liked the blue/blue Trident of yours and would have bought one had I not got a Scooter blue Trident.

I too tried on the Dartmouth at the London GTG and was surprised how much I liked a watch that I had previously dismissed, just shows you. It is definitely still on my shortlist of preferred CW's for possible future acquisition.

I'm also liking the shirt you are wearing in the last photo too!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

mabotham wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:11 pm I like how the c9 has aged. The case was too big for me but now has a classic look.
It is too big for me as well. Hardly worn - other than an earlier CW SOTC those are the only C9 pics that I have. Probably the last two times I picked up the watch, July 2015 for the first pic, with the second taken during the beast from the east, in February 2018!

Neil
TZ-UK
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:12 pm A fab five there Neil.

Beautiful blue dial on the C9, only the size would be a little large for me.

The Milgauss is a watch I thought about buying at the end of last year, before I ended up getting my POLM. It's quirky and just a bit different from the more common sub/DJ/OP.

Seikos I generally find a little too large but again they do a great Pepsi diver in so many different guises. My son's Pepsi sea urchin being his daily wearer.

I've always liked the blue/blue Trident of yours and would have bought one had I not got a Scooter blue Trident.

I too tried on the Dartmouth at the London GTG and was surprised how much I liked a watch that I had previously dismissed, just shows you. It is definitely still on my shortlist of preferred CW's for possible future acquisition.

I'm also liking the shirt you are wearing in the last photo too!
The thing I have found with Seiko dive watches is the need to try them on to see if they are too big, rather than go on the basis of website measurements. Generally the case width is slightly more than the width of the bezel, which combined with actual dial size and lug to lug (invariably shorter than on watches of a similar size case) means, that to me they always wear smaller than you would imagine.

Yep I recommend the Dartmouth. Sits very nicely on the wrist. Having thought about strap options for a change, I think this is one that will stay on the bracelet.

The shirt is from Rohan. Ideal travel shirts. Wash it hang it up to dry, no ironing required!

Neil
TZ-UK
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

I really like all 5 watches, all but the Dartmouth are now difficult to buy! My favourite however is the Milgauss - quirky quality! My second choice is the C60 Trident - the colour, logo and hands are perfect! Also I enjoyed your nice write up to go with these lovely watches!
Dean
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Some great Blue dials you have there and I'm envious as I'm not finding it easy to buy just 1 blue-dialled watch - the range within the colour and/or type of dial (matt, sunburst etc) vary so much that finding the right combination at the right price is proving to be difficult, for me.

Do you think the 38mm Trident Mk2 is mainly a summer watch due to the bright shade of blue?

Love the dial of the Milgauss and the darker shade on the Dartmouth.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Milgauss - what a stunning watch. Nothing more to be said.

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I too am a blue dial fan and love your Milgauss, only Rolex Ive ever really seriously considered (I like quirky).
The C9s i have an affection for, I have 3 (Big blue chrono on blue croc, silver auto and AM GT), despite not having the biggest wrist (at 7.5 but reasonably flat) they wear very well for me though the AMGT does look big on.
I went for blue Seiko too but the turtle 'recraft'
Lovely selection you have there.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

EddieTheBeast wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:36 pm I really like all 5 watches, all but the Dartmouth are now difficult to buy! My favourite however is the Milgauss - quirky quality! My second choice is the C60 Trident - the colour, logo and hands are perfect! Also I enjoyed your nice write up to go with these lovely watches!
Thanks Dean. As you well know it’s not a five minute task putting up an SOTC with individual pics and narrative.

I got out my Snowdonia and Lakes OS maps yesterday to workout the angle and point you had taken some of your pics from.

We haven’t really done any walking around the Duddon valley, as we normal stay around Elterwater, Keswick or Grasmere.

Last time we did Snowdon was from the Rhyd-Ddu side, along the south ridge, nice and quiet until Bwich Main.
Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:06 am Some great Blue dials you have there and I'm envious as I'm not finding it easy to buy just 1 blue-dialled watch - the range within the colour and/or type of dial (matt, sunburst etc) vary so much that finding the right combination at the right price is proving to be difficult, for me.

Do you think the 38mm Trident Mk2 is mainly a summer watch due to the bright shade of blue?

Love the dial of the Milgauss and the darker shade on the Dartmouth.
I know what you mean about trying to find the right combination for a blue dial. I have been looking around for a couple of years for another blue dial that would replace a couple of my better black dial versions and be sufficiently different to the Milgauss. Still looking, as either too expensive or end up thinking it looks better in black.

The summer beach watch comment, is more relative to how I wear the watches in my collection, than thinking it’s too bright to wear at other times of the year.
PaulJS wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:17 am Milgauss - what a stunning watch. Nothing more to be said.

Cheers,

Paul
I reckon you could take some great pics from the South West coastal path wearing one, providing you removed it when tinkering with the MX-5. :)
Soporsche wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:35 am I too am a blue dial fan and love your Milgauss, only Rolex Ive ever really seriously considered (I like quirky).
The C9s i have an affection for, I have 3 (Big blue chrono on blue croc, silver auto and AM GT), despite not having the biggest wrist (at 7.5 but reasonably flat) they wear very well for me though the AMGT does look big on.
I went for blue Seiko too but the turtle 'recraft'
Lovely selection you have there.
Thanks. An excellent selection of C9s. There certainly seems no shortage of lovely blue dialled Seiko dive watches, although I do have difficulty keeping up with all their releases!

Neil
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Great post, Neil! I just put a recently sold blue dial C3 in the post yesterday, but I still have a couple. My C65 Trident Diver is probably the ultimate summer watch in my collection – looks fantastic on a nice sunny day.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

nbg wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:34 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:12 pm
Seikos I generally find a little too large but again they do a great Pepsi diver in so many different guises. My son's Pepsi sea urchin being his daily wearer
The thing I have found with Seiko dive watches is the need to try them on to see if they are too big, rather than go on the basis of website measurements. Generally the case width is slightly more than the width of the bezel, which combined with actual dial size and lug to lug (invariably shorter than on watches of a similar size case) means, that to me they always wear smaller than you would imagine.

Neil
I have tried a few Seikos on, mainly Samurai (Save the Ocean I recall) and just found them little bit too big. There are so many models however I just need to keep trying them out from time to time.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Seiko certainly do some interesting blue dials. This is my current favourite.

WRT the comments concerning their size. Yes on paper their dimensions would seem large, however in my experience they wear well, in particular the Turtle with its cushion shaped case.
Tim
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Nice set of blue dials, Neil - especially the newbie.
Richard
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Great post and I enjoyed the read, back stories and pics. Thrilled I'm not the only one who has to resist buying blue dialed watches every time there is a release! Thanks for posting.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy