SOTC - Qubo | January 2020

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

SOTC - Qubo | January 2020

Post by Qubo »

Well, 2019 was definitively a year of 2 halves. The 1st half was all about selling to create space in the box and some funds towards planned new acquisitions: a GMT and a more field style watch. The 2nd half was absolutely mad, all about good fortune and welcoming (unexpected) new pieces to the collection; I am still without a GMT 😊.

During the year I realised that:
1. I like simplicity (dial / complications / case design)
2. I like colour
3. 40mm is big enough for me and 36mm is such an all-round great size.

Watches that found a new home:
• Steinhart Ocean One 39mm – Green Bezel
• Steinhart Ocean One 39mm GMT – Pepsi bezel
• Steinhart Ocean One Vintage (42mm)
• CW C60 Trident Pro 600 – Black Dial (43mm / Mk II)
• CW C60 Trident Pro 600 Day Date COSC LE (43mm / Mk II)
• CW C8 Flyer Automatic (44mm / Mk II)

I welcomed:
• Rolex OP 36mm – White grape dial (116000)
• Rolex OP 36mm – Blue dial (116000)
• Hamilton Khaki (Manual - 38mm)
• Tudor Black Bay 58
• Rolex Explorer (114270)
• Rolex Datejust – Wideboy (1601)

Below a photo of each watch and some observations. Looking forward to another great year with good health, great friends and watches that make you smile.

Tag Heuer 6000 (2002)
First serious watch – wedding gift from my wife. Still comes out during holidays (beach) and other outdoor activities.

Meistersinger No 3
Although I would not buy at this size nowadays, it’s such a great conversation piece and with the one hand indeed the concept of time becomes totally different. No lume whatsoever so it’s no so practical. Love the blue dial.

Rolex Air-King (116900)
There is not a lot to say really. Loved it when it came out back in 2016; got one at the end of 2017. My sports watch. Marmite watch. Like the heft as it sits so comfortably on my wrist. Adore the yellow/green cornet/logo and green second hand. The high polished 3-6-9 often disappear with reflection in bright (sun)light. On first sight there is indeed a lot going on on the dial, however, once you have seen the balance and experienced the legibility of the dial, you can’t “unsee” that.

Rolex OP 36mm – White grape dial (116000)
Went to the AD to try on the 39mm OP with the radium dial that I was interested in. He suggested that I try a 36mm Datejust (black dial) for size and I was sold. The OP’s wear so much different from what you expect based on their case diameter. I walked away with the 36mm OP with the white grape dial that came in to the AD at the same time (was still in its transportation case). It’s such an essential and simple watch with the sunray dial making it very versatile – casual (Oyster bracelet and partially brushed case) to more dressy (the dial can take on so many different shades/tones especially indoors)

Rolex OP 36mm – Blue dial (116000)
A couple of months after I got the OP 36mm with the white grape dial, I walked into a local AD while travelling in Europe. I saw the OP with the blue 3-6-9 dial that they put into the display cabinet that morning. The rest is history. Same level of comfort, combining the style of the classic Explorer, a blue dial, with upgraded finish and bracelet.

Hamilton Khaki (Manual wind)
Bought from a fellow forum inmate. Iconic design, unpretentious “can do” little cracker. 80hr power reserve and runs 1-2 sec per day fast. Can wear it on so many different straps. What is there not to like? Watch for being out and about and essentially not thinking about what you are wearing. (Tried a G-shock but that’s not made for me.)

Tudor Black Bay 58
Calling my AD in the UK to get an insurance valuation for the blue dial OP (foreign purchase receipts and UK MRSP were not accepted by my insurer) I enquired how long it would take to get a BB58. 10 minutes was the answer. That was my “(essential/vintage) diver watch slot” in the watch box taken care of. It has a great case size for me with the reduced height (vs BB) makes it very comfortable to wear. It took a while to break in the strap but now it sits perfectly on the wrist. I can imagine if you have a wider wrist you may want to swap the strap the other way around (short piece at 6 o’clock instead of 12 o’clock).

Rolex Explorer (114270)
I already started reading up on Rolex history and vintage Rolex watches when I bought my Air-King back in 2018. With the OP 36mm 3-6-9 blue dial now in my collection, I focused on getting more familiar with the history of the Explorer. That got also the attention of my son (who now is starting to show some interest in the magic of mechanical movements). Looking at market for prices, quality and availability, I stumbled across a 114270 Explorer from my son’s birthyear. In a moment of madness (on the back of an itch that needed scratching and my son achieving outstanding GCSE results) I agreed imho a good price and bought the Explorer as a present for my son’s 21st birthday or when he graduates from university (and for me to enjoy in the meantime). It is such a different watch from the OP; it’s much more subtle than I imagined. The Explorer case, Mercedes handset and the OP bracelet would make for a great combination. The batons on the OP with the 369 dial are similar to those of the Explorer. The OP 36mm with the white grape dial as batons with sharper, bevelled edges.

Rolex Datejust (1601 – “Wideboy”)
I realized that the only watch with a date was my good old Tag Heuer Chronograph. As I don’t wear it daily or can wear it at every occasion I started a search for a classic 36mm watch with a date complication. The current Datejust does not sing to me because of its polished case so I started looking at (more) vintage IWC, Omega and Rolex.I came across the Datejust “Wideboy” on Youtube (Theo & Harris channel) that immediately grabbed my attention. It was a bit of a challenge to find one I liked and within the budget I set myself (I don’t have the courage to buy from E-bay). Once I was recommended a few trusted sellers/dealers, I managed to locate one that was in overall good condition from 1977 – although it needs some TLC, the movement was in perfect condition and the watch was worn with care and reasonable attention (dial and handset untouched and case in my view not over polished).

So, there we are. If you asked me last year that I would now have these watches in my collection, I would not have believed it. Nor would I have believed that I would have sold my C8 Flyer and C60 Day Date COSC LE – but something had to give. In the end, I was blessed with good health, a little madness, the fortune to find them, and I am grateful to have met so many great watch aficionados.

Qubo.
20200119_085126.jpg
20200119_144111.jpg
20200119_144205.jpg
20200119_144041.jpg
20200119_144141.jpg
20200119_143908.jpg
20200119_144244.jpg
20200119_143842.jpg
20200119_143930.jpg
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: SOTC - Qubo | January 2020

Post by stefs »

An absolutely wonderful collection Robin. Some of these are damn close to perfection and the quality of the incomings v the outgoings is a totally different level.
If I could nick two its easy.... blue op36 and BB58. On their own the perfect 2 watch collection.
Great stuff :clap:
Cheers now, Paul
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting write up of a great collection. :thumbup:

Seems you have the Rolex bug. :)

Mind you having already got the BB58, there will now be no need to get distracted and hunt for a Submariner 5513 or 14060.

What’s next?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

You really can’t go wrong with the BB58, it’s possibly the best value/quality and most versatile watch available in my opinion.

I do however really like the Meistersinger, they’ve always had a quirky appeal for me.
Tim
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Qubo »

nbg wrote:An interesting write up of a great collection. Image

Seems you have the Rolex bug. :)

Mind you having already got the BB58, there will now be no need to get distracted and hunt for a Submariner 5513 or 14060.

What’s next?

Neil
Thank you - it has been for sure an interesting year.

What is next?

First there will be hunt for some vintage parts to get my Datejust up to the preferred standard. Need to find a dial as I want to replace 2 batons on the dial of my Datejust. I am not getting my hopes up too high to find a wide boy handset. Mine are OK but would not mind finding a better set.

Then I will be likely exchanging the Meistersinger for a smaller one. Alternative here is to part exchange towards a GMT that is still on my wish list.

I am still playing with the idea of adding something in/with gold. Something older/vintage for sure. The search for the next one is most exciting as we all know Image.

Long shot could be to swap out the Hamilton for the CW C65 Sandhurst.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk