SOTC: It'sAliveJim – 07/19

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

SOTC: It'sAliveJim – 07/19

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Being such a champion flipper I could be doing one of these every month. Nothing has changed in that respect but I've had a few ins and outs recently and feel 'stable' (oh how we laughed all the way to the burns unit) for the time being.

I tried to take a collective picture of them in the watch boxes, but my camera skills aren't up to it so I'll present it as a series of wrist shots.

THE ROLEX

Explorer II 16570

My first Rolex, bought in 2014, and I was distinctly underwhelmed when it arrived. I thought the finish was agricultural, the dial was nothing special, and the bracelet was no better than many micro-brand bracelets. Obviously after wearing it for a few weeks this view changed considerably and it's now a firm favourite.

Submariner 14060m

I'm not a fan of modern six-digit Rolex, and I wasn't a fan of the Submariner until I started seeing pics of the 14060 two-liner. It just seemed so beautifully uncluttered and perfect in its simplicity that I knew it was the only Sub for me – vintage looks with modern usability.

Explorer 14270

Another classic I wanted to own for a long time. Initially I was worried about the 36mm size but it definitely doesn't feel small. It's the Goldilocks watch.

BEST OF THE REST

Omega AT 2504.80

A recent acquisition, and having previously owned a 39mm Railmaster I decided 36mm was the way to go. This is the older 2500 Co-Axial so the case maintains a svelte figure. I'm still waiting for the extra half-link I have on order to hopefully make the bracelet fit properly.

Stowa Partitio

Just a lovely little take on a old design. Purists would say it needs to be handwind, but auto works for me. This can either look dressy on leather or military on a canvas strap. It's probably neither of those things, but I like it.

Tutima Military Chronograph NATO

Another German, this time with a bit more going on. The Tutima Military Chronograph NATO is the civvie version of the Lemania 5100 powered chrono supplied to NATO forces. This one has an interesting history in that it was presented to a Nottingham miner for service down the pits. He carried on wearing it down the pit until he retired and the watch eventually stopped working. It was left in a drawer until the miner's son sent it to Tutima for a full overhaul before selling it to me.

Doxa SUB 300 50th Anniversary

All the original style of the first Doxa SUB released in 1967, with modern updates – box sapphire, COSC ETA 2824 movement and solid links beads of rice bracelet. I've had a couple of Doxas but they were always too big so got flipped. This is just about right and after umming and aaring about the colour, I decided I had to go for the Doxa orange.

Glycine Airman No. 1

I've had a fair few Glycine pass through my hands and all of them have been excellent quality, and have only ever been flipped for economic reasons or my proportional tastes changing, e.g. I had an Airman SST06 years ago, which I loved until I finally admitted it was too big for my scrawny wrist. This is my second Airman No. 1, but every time I put it on I remember why I should keep it.

Fortis Spacematic Pilot Professional

I've been a fan of Fortis for years and owned numerous Fortis Fliegers but settled on the Spacematic as my Fortis of choice. It was sad to hear that the brand was struggling last year but, as with Glycine, they are quite niche and rely on enthusiasts to keep them going. Let's hope Invicta doesn't get involved.

Squale 1521 50 Atmos

Another one bought, sold and bought again. Just a great case design, and this version from the first batch of the NOS releases in the mid 2000s is the best IMO.

Junghans Meister Telemeter Chronoscope

When I got this home my wife actually commented, saying she liked it because it was the kind of watch her grandad would have worn. That'll do for me. Powered by an ETA 2892 with a Dubois Depraz 2030 chronograph module.

And has a fantastically comfortable bracelet

Mk II Key West GMT

Mk II's have come and gone but this has been my favourite so I'm sticking with it for now.

It all functions beautifully and looks amazing but I wouldn't want to wait for a new project from Bill Yao. His modus operandi appears to be, make the customer pay a deposit and then wait for X number of years until they wished they'd had some teeth pulled instead. Fine end product though.

CWC RN Diver quartz

The third one I've owned, but the first polished case version. I actually think I prefer it over the matte cases.

THE SEIKOS

SKX007

The classic and nothing else to say

6309-7040

Another Seiko classic. This one came to me with domed sapphire, new bezel insert and glass case back, but all original parts included. Nice as the new bits were, I got it put back to original 1980s spec.

7A28-701A

A beautiful quartz chrono. Fully servicable, accurate, and looks cool. I've tried to find a vintage Seiko bracelet for this with little success so if anyone has one spare …

UFO Recraft

I couldn't resist this recreation of Seikos 'UFO's from the 70s.

SPB077 'Mini MarineMaster'

Bought recently as I wanted to scratch the MM300 itch, and I've become smitten with it. I was expecting it to be far too big and heavy, and was prepared for a quick flip. But it's actually near perfect. I wore it three days in a row and keep marvelling at how well-executed it is. With MM300 prices well and truly up there now, I'm satisfied with its baby brother.

Seiko 5 SNXS73

£60 and a little belter.

THE RUSSIANS

Poljot Okeah

This is one of the many 'limited edition' Okeah (Ocean) reissues. The 3133 movement seems to be increasingly rare and expensive, so Russian watches with these chronos fitted are no longer cheap as chips, more's the pity.

The Vostok 710s 'ministry case'

Anyone who doesn't appreciate the Amphibia as a piece of important horological history needs to have a word with themselves. Of all the Amphibias I've tried, the 710 case wins every time for me.

Vostok Komandirskie 1965

I took this in part trade and love the no frills aesthetic.

LEFTOVERS

Newmark 6BB

A faithful recreation of a British military-issued chrono. I haven't worn this as much as I expected but I like it so it's staying for the foreseeable.

Divex Professional 200

Looks badass, keeps good time, can survive prolonged exposure to seawater, and costs next to nothing. I put it on a Hirsch Pure rubber I've had for years, which costs more than the watch.

Citizen NY0040-17L

A rival to the SKX007 for my affections. The Citizen keeps better time and hand-winds, but still doesn't hack. The sunburst blue dial gives it a bit of glam over the SKX. I bought an aftermarket bracelet but am currently wearing it on a Hadley Roma Cordura.

Many others have come and gone and some I regret flipping, such as the 1968 Omega SM300 and Tudor Back Bay ETA, but they went for a good cause.

Stupid bloody hobby :?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
timeonourhands
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 6

Re: SOTC: It'sAliveJim – 07/19

Post by timeonourhands »

lovely stuff!

I’ve admired your non-CW-of-the-day pics for a long time.

Thanks for posting!
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

That’s a great looking collection John. :thumbup:

As well as the usual suspects there are plenty of other interesting pieces.

I have never had a Russian, but they do look fun.

I would happily wear any of those.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

You have my perfect collection John!!

The Rolex watches are lovely and that SPB077 'Mini MarineMaster' looks superb! :clap:
Dean
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Great collection and interesting read. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Steve.
SimonCB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by SimonCB »

Love that DOXA!
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A very nice collection :thumbup:

Favourites for me the Polar Explorer, Doxa and Junghans.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
HendrixGreen
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by HendrixGreen »

Super collection! Got most angles covered, just missing a moon phase. But judging by your collection, dress just isn't you :-)

Love the white dial Explorer II by the way!

Cheers
H
Hendrix Green
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Very nice, as well as diverse.

ps I too am something of a Fortis fan (an underrated company imho) and here's hoping they sort themselves out.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I like your collection hugely. The Rolex trio are probably my fave 3 Rolexes. The recent Omega AT is absolutely brilliant too.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Great post and enjoyed the read! Brilliant collection you've assembled.

On a selfish note, I'll show your post to SWMBO and emphasize that I don't have very many watches (look at how many IAJ, Kip and Downer have a as examples !) and therefore adding a Panerai is simply normal!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Viognier wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 pm
On a selfish note, I'll show your post to SWMBO and emphasize that I don't have very many watches (look at how many IAJ, Kip and Downer have a as examples !) and therefore adding a Panerai is simply normal!

Good luck with that :lol:

Thanks for all the kind comments gents. When I first bought that 40th treat for myself all those years ago, I never suspected it would lead to this. I can only feel relief that I have no interest in gambling :shock:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

The Watch Gods all raise a pint(or two) of ale in celebration of your very fine collection!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Thunder1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:37 pm The Watch Gods all raise a pint(or two) of ale in celebration of your very fine collection!!..
Ale? In Texas? :)

Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

It'sAliveJim wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:38 pm
Thunder1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:37 pm The Watch Gods all raise a pint(or two) of ale in celebration of your very fine collection!!..
Ale? In Texas? :)
Yep(burp)...here's a nice list of some of the best Tx can currently offer, and I can personally attest to the fine & vast selection of Jester King & St. Arnolds..
https://theculturetrip.com/north-americ ... -in-texas/

Right down the road from my hacienda(ala Jester King) is the Twisted X, which I very much like...
http://twistedxbrewing.com/

Frankly(or burply), the Suds Monkey & the Thirsty Planet are also very, very, thirst quenching..
https://sudsmonkeybrew.com/
https://thirstyplanet.beer/

Now, in the nearby town of Blanco resides my favorite brewery, the Real Ale Brewery..
they made their name w/ their Firemans Four blond ale..the Seiko of Tx. ales, in my view...but, their Axis IPA is very, very good...but for an ale w/ a unique, but terrific, taste, their Devil's Backbone is hard to beat..a Belgian style ale, very similar to a Chimay red or blue lable ale..
https://realalebrewing.com/category/year-round/
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..