SOTC: Warren83 March 2018

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: SOTC: Warren83 March 2018

Post by Thegreyman »

Wild guess...Sold the SARB and incoming is an SLA019.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Warren83
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Warren83 »

Thegreyman wrote:Wild guess...Sold the SARB and incoming is an SLA019.
Correct the SARB went.

No to the SLA019...way too big for my wrist
My CW: C60 Trident GMT

Scouse Not English YNWA DONT BUY THE SUN
Warren83
Guru
Guru

Post by Warren83 »

Evening all! Almost a year since I lasted posted I think but have since changed jobs and relocated you Copenhagen so things have been a bit manic.
All settled now and revelling at my club being European Champions for the 6th time I’ve started to consider, for the very first time, whether to consolidate my collection and buy one special piece. I rarely wear all of them, even forgetting to put one on from time to time.
The issue is I’m unsure what to get and whether to bother myself with the hassle of shifting them on. Why have I bothered posting this? I guess it helps to put it out there and cement the consideration in words. Perhaps see what others would do...but mainly just to really ask myself to consider the question...

Warren83
Guru
Guru

Post by Warren83 »

Just checked the picture out and it appears the SOTC is a bit outdated as the SARB and Bremont were shifted for a Chronomaster washi paper dial probably around this one last year. An updated SOTC post needed I guess but the pondering still stands. What would you do....given I’m not even clear in my mind on what THE one would be...

Squee

Post by Squee »

This is an interesting question, particularly given that you do have a nice collection with both valuable and tasteful pieces in it. To me, that question about whether to shift to a single watch really goes to whether you’ve lost pleasure in owning the watches you already have, and/or whether they feel more like a burden than a blessing at this point.

There are lots of ways a person can outgrow a watch collection over time. But replacing a collection with a single piece to me suggests that you’ve outgrown collecting itself, rather than that your aesthetics or functional needs have changed. Back last year, you identified one of your grails as an IWC portugués chronograph, I think. Those are gorgeous, and I am guessing you could buy one for the value you would clear from selling the rest of your collection. But does an IWC dress watch make sense as a one-watch collection, assuming that you’re already moving away from collecting?

For me, it wouldn’t. I can easily see the appeal of an IWC — I have my eye on a Portofino moon phase, at some point down the road. But if I were getting out, I would want one basic watch that could cover everything. Maybe a Sinn 104 with a NATO strap to swap in for beach days. And then to stop thinking about watches so much. It sounds kind of relaxing, actually.
Warren83
Guru
Guru

Post by Warren83 »

Thanks for the thoughts Squee.

I’ve always aspired to become a 1-3 watch guy and there’s something that feels like that time is coming, e it now or the near future. The pieces in my collection give me pleasure still, to a degree, but then there are times I don’t look at them or wear a watch for a whole week, purely because I can’t be bothered lugging the box out from the cupboard and usually don’t have the time to consider which to wear given I’m running late for work already at that point!
I’m sure I will miss them all individually if / when I shift them on but why on earth do I need 6 watches?
The CW would have to stay given it was a gift but all of the others have no sentimental value and could easily all be sold to make way for 1 more piece...or perhaps I could keep the CW plus another and Seel the rest for a grail purchase.

My preference / taste does tend to lean towards what most class as a dress watch yes but I have a few considerations: IWC Portuguese, Rolex Explorer,
Rolex Air King, JLC True Second Geophysic, JLC Master Ultra Thin, and the wild cards being Cartier - Drive de cartier and Panerai Luminor Due Day 38mm.

Warren83
Guru
Guru

Post by Warren83 »

So far I am proud to say I resisted the urge to shift any of the collection on / upgrade to 1 or 2 grails and have instead bought a few nice straps and started to wear my current collection more with fairly equal rotation. A worthwhile investment...for now..

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Warren83 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:30 pm So far I am proud to say I resisted the urge to shift any of the collection on / upgrade to 1 or 2 grails and have instead bought a few nice straps and started to wear my current collection more with fairly equal rotation. A worthwhile investment...for now..
A good plan. I've also been buying some new straps of late and it definitely does freshen up the enjoyment of your collection without the need to buy a new watch every month....as I used to do in the past!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way