help with ID of Universal Genever

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
barb1948

help with ID of Universal Genever

Post by barb1948 »

i apologize for probably putting this post in the wrong place, but I am a very senior woman looking for help and not good with technology.

I have this Universal Geneve watch 18K and serial No 28171.
Given to my husband in the 70's to pay a debt. Ha!
Anyone tell me the value as I may want to sell it.
Thank you

Barbara

IMG-2650.jpg
IMG-2664 (1).jpg
IMG-2651.jpg
IMG-2665.jpg
IMG-2669.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photos 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: help with ID of Universal Genever

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome. Sorry I can’t be of any use in identifying the watch.

A quick search indicates that the Internet is very unclear about whether the company is still manufacturing watches or not! Some sources say that they are closed in 2018, however the website appears to be still functioning.

Here’s a link to the contact page. If they are still operational you might be able to send them details and hope that they have an archive/database as good as the Christopher Ward one! :D

https://universal.ch/contact-us/

It’s difficult to date the watch without seeing the movement. I would have thought it is typically 1960s. I think the number you quoted is a model number, since serial numbers are on the movement, I believe. I can’t find a reference for that model number on Google – how frustrating!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Welcome.

The case & lugs suggest 1960s, but there are no clues in the dial nor hands. They’re not like the usual 50s or 60s examples that I’ve seen though a Google search for Universal Genève Roman I did find this:

https://25dials.com/collections/shop/pr ... -thin-1-42

It’s not the same watch, but it does share the same hands.

The square edges of the huge box crystal are a little unusual; a more rounded edge being preferred in that era.

Generic 18K vintage watches from the 50s/60s typically sell from about £400 or £500. Universal is a well known brand, so if the watch is authentic it could command more but it depends on the specific watch, condition & the buyer.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

You may like to have a look at Chrono24 (no affiliation) to get some idea about Universal Geneve but be aware prices posted are typically high ball and subject to negotiation.

https://www.chrono24.de/universalgenve/ ... _suggest=1

good luck
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
barb1948

Post by barb1948 »

thank you all
MikeyT100
Senior
Senior

Post by MikeyT100 »

Good luck. It's a beautiful looking vintage piece. Universal Genever went out of fashion, but have one really in demand vintage model in their big eye chronograph. No idea if that means other vintage pieces are gaining interest or not!
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

Its UG cal. 42. From late 60ies.

I had similar thingie not so While ago, with broken Movement. , its quite small at 32 mm if I recall correctly.

Really really nice watch. Quite Patek vibe. UG is one of the underdogs of vintage watches, they actually used either inhouse or heavily tweaked ebauche movements.

For value just Search UG cal 42, concidering 18 k case and condition I would say round 500 £.

Just please dont commit crime and sell it for gold.

IF you do so, please visit watchmaker and safely remove movement. I actually bought the whole movement for the one i mentioned earlier.

I have seen guys at pawn shop pull out Omega movement from gold case. And then throw it in dustbin. I was horrified. And it happened not once but few times.