Need info of great, great grandfather’s watch

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
Raunnating

Need info of great, great grandfather’s watch

Post by Raunnating »

I am looking for any and all info or history on a family pocket watch that belonged to my great, great grandfather. All I know about it is from my father who claimed that his great grandfather had it until he passed in the 1920’s, upon which the next in line took ownership of it.

I was able to find a little information about the Elgin watch movement. I think the hands have been replaced, but I think the rest of the movement is original. 

I can’t find any information about the case itself. I’m particularly curious about what the the serial number on the outer edge of the case is for. I think it says “71389” but I can’t be certain since it’s hard to read the numbers.

I would also be curious to hear any theories on what the letters “KOB” might be in reference to since they aren’t the initials of my great, great grandfather. Maybe a nickname or something else?

Thanks in advance!

69A1EC0E-E24A-499A-ABC8-F39BDBA8E16C.jpeg
6508890C-C2A8-418F-882A-C22E04B4FA00.jpeg
EE1964CC-3BBF-4DA7-9EF7-1974307E4ED9.jpeg
27463BBB-2CE1-429C-BD24-60EE2C408E5D.jpeg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photos 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Need info of great, great grandfather’s watch

Post by exHowfener »

A quick shufti through the internet tells me that the Keystone Watch Case company is American, operating between 1885 and 1927. I know next to nothing about pocket watches (or watches come to that) but I think it was common for cases & movements to be made by different companies (I have 'Antiques Roadshow' to thank for that).
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Raunnating

Post by Raunnating »

Thanks for the info. Love AR btw!
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

You may find this website useful:

https://www.elginnumbers.com/index.php

A quick check on the serial numbers would indicate the case was made in 1887 and the movement in 1896 - possibly put together using a stock case, or maybe the movement was replaced when the watch was 9 years old.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Here is what I found
Movement

The case is a bit more difficult. but based on the trademarks....The balance scale was used beginning about 1890-92

Keystone" name in arch over Keystone trade mark = Gold-Filled, guaranteed for 15 years (note photo on right)

Watch Case Keystone Watchcase Co -in Panel-
Keystone Watch Case Co
H. L. T. S. Roberts
November 13, 1900
Trademark #35378
Trademark Number: 35378
Description: Watch Case Keystone Watchcase Co -in Panel-
Issued To: Keystone Watch Case Co
H. L. T. S. Roberts
Trademark Date: Nov 13, 1900
First Use: September 1892
Registration Type: Trademark

My conclusion, without a very detailed search, would be that the watch is circa 1898-1900.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Raunnating

Post by Raunnating »

Thank you all so much for your help. This is all very helpful info! I appreciate your patience and willingness to help a guy who knows very little about this stuff. I see why people collect these beautiful timepieces and it's inspiring me to start my own collection too. Kip, thank you for digging up the info on the case. It was very kind of you to take the time to find that for me.