Help with an old rolex

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
Ronarid

Help with an old rolex

Post by Ronarid »

Hi all, i have an old Rolex Oyster Chronometer (my great grandfather's) which I have dated from the internet guides as 1932, but I am not certain and can't find an exact match.

The serial number is 44367 / 3116 and the watch works, but the crown doesn't seem to screw down - any tips on finding a good repairer in London area? I'm doing a google search but obviously recommendations are better
Ronarid

Re: Help with an old rolex

Post by Ronarid »

Also I just got quoted £400 to get it serviced, seems pretty high, have any of you had experience with this kind of watch
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

Hi,
I also inherited a couple of watches earlier in the year and sent them to Christian at WatchGuy ( https://watchguy.co.uk/ ). I was pretty happy with his work. What you've been quoted is probably the right ballpark, but make sure you know what you want from the service; you probably won't want the case polished or hands replaced, etc. Be specific about that! I found parts caused the cost of work to go significantly up again (standard parts like springs are relatively cheap, but I wanted genuine parts for everything and pushers aren't cheap!).
It felt weird posting a valuable - and to me irreplaceable - watch to someone but as Christian pointed out, there's a greater likelihood of having an accident driving to him! In all the process was relatively painless.
I'm pretty sure there'll be a forum more Rolex-centric too so maybe you can ask there too. If you do find someone in London that you're happy with, please post about them here as it's always good to know reliable people!
Ronarid

Post by Ronarid »

Excellent, thanks for your reply. I will give Christian a call.