Omega Extract of the Archives has arrived!

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Omega Extract of the Archives has arrived!

Post by H0rati0 »

The price seems pretty reasonable IMHO, given that the whole package is comprehensive and very nicely presented.

One has to remember that it is the £ that has crashed against the CHF (and against most other currencies). Back in 2008 the exchange rate was approx 2.4 vs 1.2 today. Hardly the fault of the Swiss.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
ShaunMcGill
CW-watches: 1

Post by ShaunMcGill »

Have been thinking of doing this for a while. Yes a bit expensive, but it adds a sense of completion I guess.
Shaun McGill
McGST
http://McGST.com
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Hello there

I got an email back from Omega, they will be issuing me with a refund and no archive extract.
I don't know how I missed this info, when filling out my order, but they only do watches made before 2010.
As mine was from around 2016/17 obviously, it's not available.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

magicman wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:51 pm Hello there

I got an email back from Omega, they will be issuing me with a refund and no archive extract.
I don't know how I missed this info, when filling out my order, but they only do watches made before 2010.
As mine was from around 2016/17 obviously, it's not available.

Regards Steve
That is surprising. Does it mean that their record keeping has changed for the worse I wonder?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I presume they assume you have provenance of more recent stuff.
PaulD2

Post by PaulD2 »

I'm already learning stuff from this website! I've got a Seamaster Deville from (I think) the early-mid 60's that came from my grandad and I'd love to know more about it.
As an aside, I also got this Luftwaffe map of North Liverpool from the same grandad which seems like it would be of interest to some.

20230517_183732.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Wed May 17, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photo placed 'in line'.
These users thanked the author PaulD2 for the post:
Stuart1
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I've been meaning to do this for my own Omega Seamaster 300m.
I'll try and get around to it soon ;)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

It seems the service is temporarily unavailable :(
Anyone have any information on this ?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

tempus fugit wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:17 pm Well I'm delighted to have come back from a trip away to find this large envelope waiting for me. I've heard a lot about these but this will be my first time receiving one.

Was purchased around 6 weeks ago on the Extract part of Omega's website. Details duly entered and monies paid (120CHF, or about £97, EUR110 or US$125), I sat back and (im)patiently waited until now.

Well it was worth the wait, and also a bit surprising in terms of what I learnt. Let's take you through the unpacking, but first a few pics of the watch and the serial numbers. More pictures on this thread.

You can see the movement is a 286 calibre (seen at 2 'o' clock), with movement number 20798360 (at 4 'o'clock).

Note the 135.007-63. This indicates a caseback from 1963, which is when I thought the watch was produced. Well, let's see...

I'm holding the envelope (address hidden to protect the guilty)...

Nice heavyweight paper, and embossed front and back.

Inside the letter it's signed by the museum curator, Petros Protopapas.

Now let's turn to the extract itself. A beautiful card folder, sealed with wax embossed with the Omega logo

Inside the first flap, a museum card. Not sure when I'll use that, but hey.

Now the exciting bit, the extract itself. All the info they have on my watch, and signed by the President and CEO of Omega to boot (yes, his actual signature - must be quite time-consuming to sign all the extract requests but a nice touch by Omega). Oh, and yes I am enjoying a bottle of Corona Extra as I write this, although not intended to be in shot. :)

And in more detail. So, looks like I have a genuine, authentic and original watch! Yeah! The calibre, movement and watch case ref all match their archives (otherwise, no extract and Omega give you your money back). But wait...my caseback says 63 - meaning the caseback was made in 1963. Yet my movement has a February 1964 production date. So this means my case was machined in 1963 but then sat around until the new year until the movement was produced - and presumably mated some time after February 26th. Not unusual when you think about it - but just shows that you can't assume exact years with almost any watch without archives to confirm exact production dates of the component parts.

And here is the little beauty laid alongside her archive extract certificate. Now I know her a little better, and I feel more 'connected' as a result when she sits on my wrist, beating away. A little piece of history, some years older than me but still stunning.
Out of interest, what do you actually send them? Do you have to send in the watch, or open it up to get movement numbers and so on?
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

You just send the serial numbers from caseback and movement.

Omega (IIRC) stopped with delivering extracts.

In these basic models they dont ad anything to value and as it comes to more expensive models, it means next to nothing. As we all saw with latest Moonwatch affair. As it comes to both numbers, you already have them online.

Its perfectly normal for caseback and movement not to match.

But it sure is nice thing to have. If you have few vintage watches. If you have dozens of them...
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

sinner777 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:42 pm You just send the serial numbers from caseback and movement.

Omega (IIRC) stopped with delivering extracts.

In these basic models they dont ad anything to value and as it comes to more expensive models, it means next to nothing. As we all saw with latest Moonwatch affair. As it comes to both numbers, you already have them online.

Its perfectly normal for caseback and movement not to match.

But it sure is nice thing to have. If you have few vintage watches. If you have dozens of them...
I am awaiting an ‘extract from the register’ from Zenith. They ask for photos front, back, movement and inside the caseback.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

The extract service is unavailable at the moment unfortunately :thumbdown:
Anyone know if it is coming back and if so when ?
Gutted I just didn't go ahead and get the extract when I got my Omega Seamaster last year.