Glynn
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: excalibur picture at last

Post by Glynn »

kiter65 wrote:Moved your pic to the other post :wave:
Sorry with me learning which post have you moved it to
The attitude you live by determines the altitude you fly at.
Scrogg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: excalibur picture at last

Post by Scrogg »

Glynn wrote:Sorry with me learning which post have you moved it to
You started this thread (entitled 'Vintage Excalibur watch') then started a new one (entitled 'excalibur picture at last') to post the picture. kiter65 copied your picture into the original thread, and now one of the Moderators has merged the two threads into one (they are, afterall, on the exact same subject) so a few comments no longer make sense to the flow of the thread...
problem son
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 0

Re: Vintage Excalibur watch

Post by problem son »

Thanks Glynn. My name is Honour, by the way. Given that my photo above shows an Excalibur watch with a case hallmarked for Edinburgh, I think that it is indeed likely that Excalibur was based in the UK and perhaps was a jewellery company. This would be reinforced by the fact that the rolled gold bracelet for the watch is also branded Excalibur.

It would be interesting to go back over H. Samuels records and find out what brands of watch were being sold by the company in the 1950 to 1980 period. The changes over those years in their stock would prove to be a fascinating glimpse into changes in taste with regard to watches.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

problem son wrote:It would be interesting to go back over H. Samuels records and find out what brands of watch were being sold by the company in the 1950 to 1980 period.

Everite watches would certainly have been sold during that period , H. Samuels own store brand.
Bernie
Glynn
Senior
Senior

Post by Glynn »

problem son wrote:Thanks Glynn. My name is Honour, by the way. Given that my photo above shows an Excalibur watch with a case hallmarked for Edinburgh, I think that it is indeed likely that Excalibur was based in the UK and perhaps was a jewellery company. This would be reinforced by the fact that the rolled gold bracelet for the watch is also branded Excalibur.

It would be interesting to go back over H. Samuels records and find out what brands of watch were being sold by the company in the 1950 to 1980 period. The changes over those years in their stock would prove to be a fascinating glimpse into changes in taste with regard to watches.
It is interesting Honour. I'm afraid I'm very new to this and not very helpful to the forum whilst I'm learning. It's like being a watch detective. By the way I pressed the quotes button with this reply have I pressed the right button Honour
The attitude you live by determines the altitude you fly at.
Sc08ter

Post by Sc08ter »

Hello all, I hope I am following the correct procedure here with this reply. I am using an existing post on a similar topic, which seems to be the more efficient approach.

My name is Paul and I inherited an Excalibur 17 Jewel Incabloc watch from my father in the late 80's. He in turn inherited it from his father in the late 70's. I would love to know more about it and if anyone can and would care to shed light on it, it would be most appreciated. I believe it is a gold watch but there are no outward hallmark symbols. Maybe inside the case? images to follow...

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Sc08ter

Post by Sc08ter »

IMG_2302.jpeg
IMG_2303.jpeg
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The bezel and the case back appear to be steel, which would suggest that the case itself is gold plated. If you look at the back view there appear to be a couple of places where the plating has eroded or chipped away on the lugs.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Sc08ter

Post by Sc08ter »

Amor Vincit Omnia - thank you.