A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
koimaster
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: The Pocket Watch Gallery

Post by koimaster »

Old pocket watch belonging to my Great grand-uncle

who was given this back in the mid 1800s by his parish members. He was an Abbot at a local monastery for many years. My father had this old watch and recently during a visit my 86 year old mother, she gave me this watch. The great uncle died about 110 years ago near Colmar, France. Lousy photos since the macro is not working as it should be.

Pink gold, porcelain dial, gold hands. Still working order.C. Detouche Pocketwatch

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Psalty
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Psalty »

Wow, what a keepsake, kolmaster. By today's tastes, floral and rather feminine, but with Mary, Queen of Heaven with her foot on the serpent, this is really lovely.
Gregory
billyeli

Post by billyeli »

Wow going through this thread makes me want to own a pocket watch too *drooling*

I don't know much about pocket watch. Is there any difference from maintaining a wristwatch? I might start to look into the pocket watch market to grab one lol
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Swiss Silver Quarter Repeater

Post by TempusFugit »

I thought you may like to see my Swiss quarter repeater. It's in a silver case with a push-button repeater mechanism. You can see the gongs and hammers in the photo of the movement. It keeps superb time and it's a delight to hear it chime out the hours and quarters. It's on a silver chain which I swap around all my other pocket watches - hence the key which isn't needed for this top-winder watch.

Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

Most of my still growing PW Collection - mostly Walthams, some junk - a couple of nice ones too - including a Monty-dialled Hamilton & an Illinois Sangamo .... oldest one is circa 1884, running very well too.....

Still waiting for a good Riverside Maximus !

|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Terrific looking collection of Waltham's. The Riverside Maximus is a magnificent movement. Good luck in your hunt.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Illiera
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Illiera »

This maybe not the right place in the forum, but...

I was recently gifted a brand new pocket watch as a groomsmen gift. Despite not wanting to use it everyday I do like the idea of having one for special occasions (Weddings etc).

Having absolutely zero experience in this I trawled around eBay looking for some examples, but I quickly came to realise that I don't have any idea what I am looking for. Ideally I'd like something with a bit of age, in silver. Looking at the offerings on eBay that narrowed it down to watches from £30 right through to watches of £1,000! As my first I'd like something towards the bottom of the range, so what hints/tips have you got?

Thanks,

Andy
C60 Trident Pro GMT 600
C900 Single Pusher
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

1930 Hamilton Sectometer. Fully serviced and running perfectly 😀
20170131_222245.jpg
Attachments
20180814_235911.jpg
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

This little Valjoux 5 movement watch arrived from EBay last week and is running well and keeping acceptable time.

I love the little service marks inside the case back and would love to know what story they tell.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Very cool. :clap: I love these old watches. Any idea its age?
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Age? Mine? Not really but the service mark nearest the centre looks like the date 27-4-42 so I can only surmise that's when periodic maintenance started. The Valjoux 5 movement my originate rfom the 1920s. It's certainly older than me :lol: :lol:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Haven't seen a post here in quite some time, so a couple quick shots of another Hamilton from the box.
20191114_031530.jpg
20191114_031504.jpg
The 992 mvmt began production in 1903. The 4992, with center seconds, was introduced during WW2 for military service and has been referred to as "the watch that won the war", as it was issued to and used for navagational purposes in the bombers and produced in huge numbers. Much more rare is the 3992 which was suppied to our allies, the British RAF and Canadian Air Force. Most examples of the 4992 come with a black 24 hr dial and gear train. How this example came about with the 4992 mvmt and white 12 hr dial, it requires changing out 2 gears in the going train, will probably remain a bit of a mystery. Freshly serviced and regulated to run within near COSC standards, I just can't help winding her up and carrying around in my pocket for a few days at a time every couple months. :D
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
tikkathree
Dwight
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

With reference to your Hamilton 4992b and the twelve hour dial...there is a site called ""Vintage Hamilton Watch Restoration" where the watchmaker has done a service on one that looks like yours. He disassembled it, cleaned it, and reassembled it, complete with pictures and detailed discussion of what was done, and why. He did change out the dial, but it was still a twelve hour model. In the comments section of the article, he answers questions about the 4992B watches, and give details about modifications to them that would change the movements from 4992B to 992B and back again. He might be able to answer your questions concerning your watch. Worth a shot?

Regards, Tom

Edit: The article did mention that while Hamilton was dedicated to wartime production during the war, they did make some watches for the civilian market, possibly using movements from the 1920s. Not certain about this, but thought I'd mention it. Tom
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by trsullivan »

watchaholic: check out the Pocketwatch Data Base for Hamilton watches. Type in your movements serial number, and it will display a lot of useful information about your watch.

Tom
Tom
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by trsullivan »

1941 movement-1942 watch
Image/img]

According to the Hamilton Pocket Watch Database, this is a 1941 movement in a case accepted by the Army Air Corps in 1942. There were either 40 or 50 thousand of them in the run, out of a total manufacture of 144,995 units. It seems to be keeping time well, but I've only begun to test its performance. The second hand wobbles between the 33 second mark to about the forty-three second mark; I think one or more of the wheels may need replacing. Still, it works, and it is a palpable connection with an historical era I'm very interested in learning about.
Tom
C65 AM GT LE