Vintage Gallery

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Vintage Gallery

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I mentioned doing this a few months back, but got sidetracked. A number of members have expressed an interest in getting started with a vintage collection, so I thought it might be nice for those of us with a little experience and/or a watch or two to post some pictures, guidelines and comments.

I'll kick off with my three pieces from the '50s and '60s (all bought from two different dealers in Norwich). I keep them going most of the time and wear them frequently. They are all very good timekeepers (manual wind) and go for several days without needing to be adjusted. Definite long-term keepers!

1. 1960 Omega. Gold plated but wearing very well. 33mm dia. exc. crown. Just my favourite watch of all (as many of you know) even ahead of the Nomos. Gained 88 sec in a month in last November's vintage challenge. Acquired December 2008, this was the watch that really started me on the slippery slope, even though I'd worn my quartz Omega Polaris as a daily beater for 17 years.
2. 1958 Omega Seamaster. 32mm exc. crown. Acquired March 2012. I love the long straight lugs on this. Feeling flamboyant I put it on a blue lizard the day I bought it and it has been there ever since. Just beautiful!

3. Enicar Ocean Pearl, early '60s. 33mm exc. crown. Acquired August 2011. Birthday present from my Mum (top lady! :D ) I just love the sunburst steel dial on this one. Simple but gorgeous, and a huge favourite, it's getting more wrist time at the moment than any other watch in the collection.

1 & 3 together...

You will see similar pieces for a wide range of prices on websites (and obviously solid gold pieces are more expensive) so it's perhaps worth pointing out that I didn't pay more than £300 for any of these. But they're obviously a cut above the stuff I was paying 50 quid for on the fleamarkets last year, and they were from reputable dealers!
Also worth bearing in mind that gents' watches in the '50s and '60s were much smaller than the watches most of us buy these days, and some people will find them too small. To me they're at the lower end of the sweet spot range and after a couple of days of them even the C5 and C3 feel big and chunky for an hour or so!

Excuse the old photos if you've seen them before...if not, I hope you've got a hint of my passion for these beautiful old watches. Come on, guys, show us your wares, and let's help the fence-sitters take the plunge! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Re: Vintage Gallery

Post by Mr Rick »

Great idea Steve. :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

If enough people were keen, perhaps we could have a sub-forum devoted to vintage?

Amor Vincit Omnia

That Seamaster is gorgeous! :clap:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Rooster
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by Rooster »

Maybe start a vintage of the day thread?
My Name Is Pete
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by My Name Is Pete »

There really is something very timeless about Omegas, they seem to have nailed the design right from the start.

My vintage duo has now become my most often worn items

1968 Submariner

My birth year watch. Purist vintage enthusiasts might scoff at the dial, which was replaced in the 80's during a Rolex service. I'm not going to put any effort into getting all the parts to make it all contemporary.

1971 Speedmaster

My late wife's birth year watch. I saw this on eBay a few months ago at a decent price and couldn't turn it down. In great condition and certainly doesn't look 40 years old.
Pete
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by richtea »

[quote="Amor Vincit Omnia"]I mentioned doing this a few months back, but got sidetracked. A number of members have expressed an interest in getting started with a vintage collection, so I thought it might be nice for those of us with a little experience and/or a watch or two to post some pictures, guidelines and comments.

days without needing to be adjusted. Definite long-term keepers!

1. 1960 Omega. Gold plated but wearing very well.

Three lovely watches but the Gold Omega in particular is just so elegant and uncluttered :)
I love some of the Vintage Classic styles and the size
I know other threads have mentioned smaller watches but still really wish C Ward would venture down this path at some point

Regards
RichT
6 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia

richtea wrote:I know other threads have mentioned smaller watches but still really wish C Ward would venture down this path at some point
You're not alone in that!

Pete, that's a splendid duo. I wouldn't know a redialed Sub if it bit me! :lol: Speedies are such a class act! :thumbup:
Steve

Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

Here are two. One from Mum and one from Dad.

Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I'll play...here are a few of my favorites.

1955 Certina - A bit of a basket case when I bought it, but it came back to life quite nicely.

A bit of a rare model. 1963 Longines "Grand Prize" mystery dial. I have never seen another one exactly like this.

One that is familiar to many on this forum. 1958 Universal Geneve Polerouter.

Another rare model. While looking for a regular Zodiac Seawolf with a stainless bezel, I happened upon this one. 1968.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

At the moment...

If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

My Fav:

and some others:

Still yet to be restored :(

I miss all the great things that may never be.
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

Nice idea for a photo thread!

I only have the one vintage, a 1971 Omega Seamaster. It spends it's time either on an Omega 'Mexican' bracelet, or on a dark chocolate brown Hirsch croc effect strap and deployment.

It's about 39mm across, which although small by my standards doesn't look so on the wrist, probably because of the squarish case shape. It has a nice domed plexiglas type crystal, and small scratches polish out easily.

It contains the venerable Omega 563 movement, the serial number dating it to 1969. I understand it was quite common for newer cases to be fitted with earlier movements, I guess Omega were just using them from stock.

It keeps pretty good time even for a forty+ year old watch, probably gains approx 20s in a day on the wrist.

I try to use it often, it's a good formal watch for a suit on the leather strap, although the bracelet looks good too.

1971 Omega Seamaster by iaintookey, on Flickr
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...