LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

2013 FLE Progress Report #16

Post by Kip »

Well here we go again.....
In my last report I stated that we would have the FLE in our hands about now. That is not to be. Chris fully expected this to be true, but ran into another problem.

I have been in constant contact with Chris, who has been trying his best to overcome some serious technical difficulties. Let me get to the facts.....

Apparently we have designed something that will not work without a major reworking to the case and/or dial. The dial, as you will see below, will not be exactly the way it was conceived, but I do not think it looks bad at all...just a bit different. The problem is that we designed the dial with a rehaut and the case is just not deep enough. No more metal can be removed or the case will be to weak. The internal bezel cannot be made thinner or it will look ridiculous. As it stands now, the crystal cannot be secured properly without a dial/crystal modifications and then the crystal is too thin.

Then they ran into a lume issue. that has now been corrected.

(Kip)-- Regarding the rehaut issue......is it just that the case was not deep enough because it was never designed for one originally?

(Chris) Mostly yes.... One of the reasons it's dragged on is because I asked for o.5 mm to be taken of the crystal so we could get it underneath with out the Rehaut applying upward pressure... This didn't work as the crystal became too thin...we then looked at the possibility of taking 0.5 mm out of the top case rebate but there isn't enough wall left to seat the crystal properly.
Dropping the whole movement down etc meant a new case back and new tooling... Ie a new case... So the compromise is on the dial.... Ie you are correct... We are trying to get a quart into a pint pot.---

As a result, we are facing further delays. Chris has stated definitely before Christmas, but most likely mid November.

Chris again expresses his most sincere apologies, as he hates the fact that we have had to wait so long. He truly appreciates our continued patience regarding this FLE.

Below are photos of the prototype in process. Note that only the bezel is polished here. Chris has reconfirmed that the cases will be brushed as per spec and not bead blasted as shown in these photos.

As I stated in the last report.....
Your personal options remain the same as always. You may keep saving and hope that the delivery date is reasonably accurate....you may just wait and see what happens...or you can cancel your reservation if you feel you must.

The 2013 FLEC has approved the dial and given Chris the go ahead.

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: 2013 FLE Progress Report #16

Post by Cirrus »

Am I taking the wrong message from this post by thinking we could keep the rehaut if we had a thinner ie hand-wound movement, or would that also result in too much redesigning?

I like the rehaut, but I don't mind the design without it - I'm still in either way ,)

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

Looks good to me! It's nice to have some prototype photos to drool over while we wait. I think it has a very unique, sporty and casual style.
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

It's good to know - finally - what caused the delay.

If this had been disseminated earlier, I think there would have been less concern or worry from those interested or who ordered the watch. I'm sure most would have been understanding.

I didn't order it (due to the size), but I think it's still fine-looking after the dial changes.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
chrisjohnson
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 40
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by chrisjohnson »

Thanks Kip for the update. I think it looks great - and that is my case number in the photos!
Can't wait to get my hands on it.
Chris

"A thing of beauty is joy forever."
John Keats
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

Kip: thanks very much for the helpful update. First thing - I'm still in. Having photos to look at only reinforces my admiration for the watch and the work of the FLEC. It will probably go down in CW history as a prolonged production process, but it is well worth the wait. The rehaut issue is not a problem for me at all; I think it still looks great.

To have it promised for Christmas is good enough for me. Appreciate all you do for the forum.
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62

Post by PaulWB »

Kip,

Many thanks for the very comprehensive update - I hadn't realised how big the problems were with the design.

I must admit I do like the look of the FLE - very clean design.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by paw3001 »

Cirrus wrote:Am I taking the wrong message from this post by thinking we could keep the rehaut if we had a thinner ie hand-wound movement, or would that also result in too much redesigning?

I like the rehaut, but I don't mind the design without it - I'm still in either way ,)

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
Nice idea but then we would run into a cost issue!

Mainly, as I believe sourcing movements and ensuring a good fit would increase the delay and costs overall and we have a strict budget of £450 which already has pretty much no margin for CW at this stage!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Also, the forum voted for an automatic movement, not a handwind.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
kardnal
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by kardnal »

Looking sharp! The photos do the watch more justice than the rendered drawings were able to achieve.

The information about all the problems certainly helps put the delays into perspective.
wimbouman
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 5

Post by wimbouman »

I like the look of the watch!
Please consider no. 95 still reserved.
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

looking nice :)
more than happy with that...

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62

Post by PaulWB »

Had another good look at the pictures (used the iPhone earlier and the pictures were a bit small).

The blue minute numbers look far better on the flat face rather than on the rehaut (it now looks somewhat like the C2 FLE with the clean white face).

Thanks to Chris for keeping going with this one - I think it works better.

Looks like it's getting closer now :D :D
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by mabotham »

Can somone a bit more savvy than me place the pic of the original dial next to the now accepted one for easy comparison...?
Ta!
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by AliBar »

mabotham wrote:Can somone a bit more savvy than me place the pic of the original dial next to the now accepted one for easy comparison...?
Ta!
Close as I can get :thumbup: .

ImageImage
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club