mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Re: 2013 FLE Progress Report #16

Post by mabotham »

Cheers!
So flat face as opposed to the rehaut.. thats the internal bezel bit??!!

Think ill see mine in the flesh prior to making the final decision!
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Yep, it's the angled bit of the dial just inside the case, or it was...
Personally I don't think the change adversely changes the character of the watch.
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

Seeing the original rehaut design and the flat face together - prefer the flat face. Thanks.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Wish I could justify this, looks really classy
tmoby
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 16

Post by tmoby »

Very happy to be aboard, thanks for the update Kip.
Christopher Ward - C1GBT | C2SWT | C3SKK | C4SST | C5SKS | C6SBS | C6SKS T3 #300 | C7BRGLE #20 | C8SKK-MK2 | C9 FLE 2011 #22 | C10 FLE 2013 #76 | C11-MAK-SKWS | C15SWT | C60-TRI-SKS | C60 FLE 2012 #69 | C900SWKR #69 (MIA) #85
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

mabotham wrote:Can somone a bit more savvy than me place the pic of the original dial next to the now accepted one for easy comparison...?
theaub wrote:Seeing the original rehaut design and the flat face together - prefer the flat face. Thanks.
Opposite for me. I think the original looked smarter. There's nothing wrong with the new one though but I like the original more. As for my feelings on the watch, I think it looks very, very nice. I still don't think it's for me. I don't think it's up to the same level of the prior FLEs in terms of design or must-have factor. Also, - budget aside - a blue strap would have been a much better choice, who disagrees? I do like it a lot though...
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

wimbouman wrote:I like the look of the watch!
Please consider no. 95 still reserved.
If your reservation is in then you are all set. If not, see here.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

Deverica Wolf wrote: Opposite for me. I think the original looked smarter. There's nothing wrong with the new one though but I like the original more. As for my feelings on the watch, I think it looks very, very nice. I still don't think it's for me. I don't think it's up to the same level of the prior FLEs in terms of design or must-have factor. Also, - budget aside - a blue strap would have been a much better choice, who disagrees? I do like it a lot though...
I must admit, I was thinking last night that a blue strap would work well with the blue minute numbers and second hand.
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

Does anyone know anything about the date numbers?
Is the number on the new images just an incorrect computer rendering?
On the older images the 22 sits nice and small within the window
On the new image the 8 looks too big for the window and I suspect that a later date in the month would not be easily legible...

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

akirk wrote:Does anyone know anything about the date numbers?
Is the number on the new images just an incorrect computer rendering?
On the older images the 22 sits nice and small within the window
On the new image the 8 looks too big for the window and I suspect that a later date in the month would not be easily legible...

Alasdair
Must be the rendering... no-one would design for the number to be off ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

It is only when one has the advantage of seeing the original and new designs side by side can the design compromises be appreciated. It is a pity that the rehaut has been lost but also the bezel has been widened and now appears even more pronounced than the standard C10 on which it is based. The consequence of this is that the dial is smaller and less elegant than the original. It would probably fit into (and look better) in the C50 case.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

robinbarke wrote:It is only when one has the advantage of seeing the original and new designs side by side can the design compromises be appreciated. It is a pity that the rehaut has been lost but also the bezel has been widened and now appears even more pronounced than the standard C10 on which it is based. The consequence of this is that the dial is smaller and less elegant than the original. It would probably fit into (and look better) in the C50 case.

Robin
Difficult to tell for sure, but I think the C5 case would give a greater bezel to surface ratio than this, simply because the overall diameter of the C5 is less.
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Robin CB wrote:
robinbarke wrote:It is only when one has the advantage of seeing the original and new designs side by side can the design compromises be appreciated. It is a pity that the rehaut has been lost but also the bezel has been widened and now appears even more pronounced than the standard C10 on which it is based. The consequence of this is that the dial is smaller and less elegant than the original. It would probably fit into (and look better) in the C50 case.

Robin
Difficult to tell for sure, but I think the C5 case would give a greater bezel to surface ratio than this, simply because the overall diameter of the C5 is less.
You have a good point. The C50 case is 39mm and perhaps the bezel could be scaled down marginally. The use of the C9 case would also allow the rehaut to be retained but that would not be supported by the FLEC as the C9 case was used in the 2011FLE.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

If I recall correctly, those of us who wanted a smaller case size (ie, smaller than 40mm) were very much in the minority. :)
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

robinbarke wrote:
Robin CB wrote:

Robin
You have a good point. The C50 case is 39mm and perhaps the bezel could be scaled down marginally. The use of the C9 case would also allow the rehaut to be retained but that would not be supported by the FLEC as the C9 case was used in the 2011FLE.

Robin
Are you suggesting that at this stage of the process we should change the choice of case (which was chosen by the forum as part of a democratic vote)? :shock:

The bezel has not been widened as far as I know. It is the standard C10 bezel. I think the polished bezel against a bead-blasted case in the photos is giving rise to an optical illusion. Of course, the final watch will have a brushed finish to the case.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr