LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: 2013 FLE Final Vote

Post by ianblyth »

skimrok wrote:
jmarchitect wrote:
cholmes wrote:Could we have a blue Cabouchon in the crown of A or is it too late for anything like that?
Ooh. Now I do like the sound of that. I suspect it may have to be an aftermarket option though. I think my daughter has a couple of stick-on faux crystals somewhere. Should I post one to you? :lol:
I tell you what that could be a winner hopefully CWL could do this if there was enough interest from us?!?!?!
It is not up to CWL as it is a Forum watch. The same criteria would apply to having a flat crystal rather than domed.

I am not sure if this is even a goer but if you created a poll and at least 100 people committed to buy the watch with the change (crystal and/or cabouchon) and were willing to pay the extra for the change then it might be feasible. But it would have to be a full commitment to buy from 100 people.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Are flat crystals more expensive that domed crystals?

If there is little difference in cost why would you need a 100% commitment for a flat crystal and no prior comittment for domed?

Always assuming of course on an open vote a majority voted for a flat crystal.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
skimrok
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-fourb: yes

Post by skimrok »

I am not sure if this is even a goer but if you created a poll and at least 100 people committed to buy the watch with the change (crystal and/or cabouchon) and were willing to pay the extra for the change then it might be feasible. But it would have to be a full commitment to buy from 100 people.
thanks for your reply Ian also thanks for making it clear on the dynamics how this FLE process works i didnt know all this info before, i think its best for me to let someone who has been a member a lot longer then me doing a pole i dont think i have earned the right to do this, maybe 2014 FLE i may feel yeah i want a pole on this change :D

i go and hide now and keep quite in the corner :silent: :lol:
Steve

C9 Blue LE /C60 Black
Also other various brands in my collection
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

robinbarke wrote:Are flat crystals more expensive that domed crystals?

If there is little difference in cost why would you need a 100% commitment for a flat crystal and no prior comittment for domed?

Always assuming of course on an open vote a majority voted for a flat crystal.

Robin
Robin,

If the flat crystal is different to the one fitted as standard then yes. As watch crystals are a pretty niche item the supplier will want a minimum quantity before they tool up and produce them. The same would apply for a museum crystal as it has much more complex anti-reflective coatings. The tacky jewel in the crown might be much more expensive though as you'd need a different crown as well as the tacky jewel itself,

Not that I'm anti-jewel or anything :D
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robinbarke »

Rob

I rather suspect the crystal in the standard C10 is flat while the proposed crystal in A is domed, "like the C9" although the CW website is silent on this detail.

With this in mind surely there would be no additional cost if the standard crystal was used. I, personally have no issue with either crystal but there are those on this Forum who appear to express a preference for a flat crystal and I urge the FLECto consider their wishes rather than obfuscate the position by the threat of additional costs.

NB Must have a word with Cartier about the 'tacky' blue sapphire in their crowns!

Robin

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I have a sneaky feeling a little bit of fun is potentially causing confusion. The domed crystal on Design A is within budget. There are no threats of spending extra to use domed crystal. The design is, as far as I am aware, going to be delivered with a domed crystal.
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robinbarke »

jmarchitect wrote:I have a sneaky feeling a little bit of fun is potentially causing confusion. The domed crystal on Design A is within budget. There are no threats of spending extra to use domed crystal. The design is, as far as I am aware, going to be delivered with a domed crystal.
Where's the fun? No-one has suggested that a domed crystal would take A above budget. When some members expressed a view that they would prefer a flat crystal FLEC members responded by inferring that additional costs would be involved. I have suggested, on behalf of ordinary members of the Forum that this should not necessarily be the case. The FLEC have done an excellent job so why at the final hurdle is it not prepared to respond to the Forum's wishes?

Robin

nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by nathanclarinet »

And so it begins.........
tartine.74
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by tartine.74 »

Finally voted "A", but it was hard to decide, as I really prefered "C" hands...

N.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

robinbarke wrote:why at the final hurdle is it not prepared to respond to the Forum's wishes?
I am sure the FLEC would respond to the forums wishes. But one person is not a forum. That was the spec that was voted on by the FLEC. If enough people express interest I am sure a poll could be run to see what is the favourite. Although it can only be one. I can not see CWL doing both types and having to match them to preferred serial numbers. That would be a nightmare. :shock:
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robinbarke »

ianblyth wrote:
robinbarke wrote:why at the final hurdle is it not prepared to respond to the Forum's wishes?
I am sure the FLEC would respond to the forums wishes. But one person is not a forum. That was the spec that was voted on by the FLEC. If enough people express interest I am sure a poll could be run to see what is the favourite. Although it can only be one. I can not see CWL doing both types and having to match them to preferred serial numbers. That would be a nightmare. :shock:
That seems entirely reasonable to me.

Robin

village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

ianblyth wrote:

And there was much discussion about the crystal...the FLEC felt that this design was better suited by the domed crystal and,as such,that was the spec presented. As Ian says,one person is not a forum and,tbh,there has been much forum involvement in this LE so i don't see it as falling at the final hurdle if there is no option or poll to decide whether the crystal should be flat or domed. There is nothing to stop people modding the watch after receipt if they wish to.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

robinbarke wrote:
ianblyth wrote:

Robin
Which part seems entirely reasonable to you? The running of another poll or the nightmare scenario of requiring CWL to run with two different crystals?
Axelay2003
Senior
Senior

Post by Axelay2003 »

Is there a side pofile picture on how high this crystal dome is? If it is a subtle dome then I think that would suit most. If the dome shows ridiculous distortion of the dial at ideal viewing angles, then I would prefer flat.
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robinbarke »

I am sure the FLEC would respond to the forums wishes. But one person is not a forum. That was the spec that was voted on by the FLEC. If enough people express interest I am sure a poll could be run to see what is the favourite. Although it can only be one. I can not see CWL doing both types and having to match them to preferred serial numbers. That would be a nightmare. :shock:[/quote]

Robin[/quote]

Which part seems entirely reasonable to you? The running of another poll or the nightmare scenario of requiring CWL to run with two different crystals?[/quote]

Asking members which they prefer and then responding to the majority.

Robin