B
53%
C
32%

Total votes: 176

highway62

Re: 2013 FLE – Design Elimination Poll

Post by highway62 »

I think it would be unfair of me to influence the outcome (however slightly) when I am not going to buy. Let those who are actually planning to make a purchase make the decision.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

Have to say those new designs are sweet, remind me of Russian watches. Now more hand winds please!
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

ianblyth wrote:It is a forum watch voted on by members of the forum. So I do not see why you should not vote just because you think that you won't buy one. Which one would you like to see as a Forum LE?

I had similar misgivings about the C20 FLE that it was a bit plain and boring but it grew to be one of my favourite watches. Do not dismiss a watch as it looks too simple. Just look at the C5. Getting a simple watch like that to look good takes effort.

It is interesting the comments on some of the designs as the fLEC have worked on these (and ones that did not get through our voting system) for weeks and know where the design came from and why it was changed the way it was to be what is in front of you now. It is a bit sad when a design gets called amateurish. There wa a lot of thought and discussion (and dissension) that went into each design. But I suppose all three are amateurish as none of the FLEC are professional designers. 8)
I think all three designs are highly commendable and will commit to buying the winner notwithstanding you know what! Any info on the crosshair origin?

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Robin

I have seen reference to the Certina DS-1 regarding the crosshairs.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
sparky135
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by sparky135 »

robinbarke wrote:Any info on the crosshair origin?

Robin
Damasko DA3x/DA4x possibly? I hadn't noticed the Certina DS1 influence before it was mentioned above but I'd say that is a good call too.

Whatever the inspiration for the crosshairs, I like it.

If, as it looks at the moment that B is going to get eliminated in the first round, in the shootout between A and C I'll be rooting for A all the way.

The FLEC have done a great job on these designs.
John

Current: C7BRGT-390-MK2, C3SKK, C8SKK-MK2, C5GWT, Seiko Diver
Incoming: something from Santa
On the radar: C60 GMT, C9 GMT, Stowa Antea 390, Damasko DA36, Nomos Tangente
SWMBO: S21-MOP-SBS
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

The cross hair detail for design A takes it's cue from early Universal Geneve and Omega pieces, all of which were sporty watches of their time, as well as more contemporaneous pieces such those by Damasko and Certina. The decision to continue the cross hairs to the dial edge and combine this with twin indices was taken to provide balance to the dial, neatly dividing the dial into quadrants.

The hands have previously been mentioned in relation to the Nomos Club. The Club actually was a design reference when searching for a suitable hand design, due to the slender form and elegant detail around the pinion. The hands on the CWL C20 were considered but the detail around the pinion was not suitable for the style of design A.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

jmarchitect wrote:The cross hair detail for design A takes it's cue from early Universal Geneve and Omega pieces, all of which were sporty watches of their time, as well as more contemporaneous pieces such those by Damasko and Certina. .
If i can add...in the original design stage the crosshair detail for design A was not based on any specific makes or models,but was more a design cue influenced by the generally older style of sports watches (although it is used here and there on modern watches) to bring a feeling of 'vintage-sporty' to the design. As the design evolved then the other models were used,as my esteemed fellow committee member says above,to aid said evolution and the balance of the dial.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
sparky135
Senior
Senior

Post by sparky135 »

Interesting to get an insight into the thought processes of the FLEC.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:
John

Current: C7BRGT-390-MK2, C3SKK, C8SKK-MK2, C5GWT, Seiko Diver
Incoming: something from Santa
On the radar: C60 GMT, C9 GMT, Stowa Antea 390, Damasko DA36, Nomos Tangente
SWMBO: S21-MOP-SBS
Throbbe
Senior
Senior

Post by Throbbe »

Excellent work chaps. It appears the voting is dead in line with my preferences, and I'm particularly excited about the A design. I could definitely see this being my first CW.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

Just catching up...

I do hope that the result is not the forgone conclusion that some people have suggested. I like a bit of tension.

All I can tell from the votes so far is that A is the least disliked and B the most. The posts expressing a preference are varied and there's more voters than opinions, so I'm drawing no conclusions.

Least disliked is not necessarily the most liked.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

I came back for another look to see how I felt on a second review. "B" and "C" still do nothing for me; "A" is growing on me a little -- but nowhere near enough to displace either a stock C10 or a Steinhart MCII as my next potential purchase.

Still not for me this time but I hope those of you who are interested get some real enjoyment out of seeing this process through!
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

jmarchitect wrote:The cross hair detail for design A takes it's cue from early Universal Geneve and Omega pieces, all of which were sporty watches of their time, as well as more contemporaneous pieces such those by Damasko and Certina. The decision to continue the cross hairs to the dial edge and combine this with twin indices was taken to provide balance to the dial, neatly dividing the dial into quadrants.

The hands have previously been mentioned in relation to the Nomos Club. The Club actually was a design reference when searching for a suitable hand design, due to the slender form and elegant detail around the pinion. The hands on the CWL C20 were considered but the detail around the pinion was not suitable for the style of design A.
Many thanks for that. Very interesting to note that vintage watches from two highly regarded brands provided the inspiration for the full depth/width crosshairs, absent from Universal Geneve and Omega's current collections. I can see the winner becoming a firm favourite with Forum members and who knows, CW may take some design cues from the eventual winner!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

village, jm,

Thanks for the crosshair update. Interesting to hear about the thought processes.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

Loddonite wrote:Just catching up...

I do hope that the result is not the forgone conclusion that some people have suggested. I like a bit of tension.

All I can tell from the votes so far is that A is the least disliked and B the most. The posts expressing a preference are varied and there's more voters than opinions, so I'm drawing no conclusions.

Least disliked is not necessarily the most liked.

I've just trawled back through this thread & done a rough poll on peoples strong preference for watches A & C, with watch A having about a 6:1 preference over watch C.

Not going to be much tension there - it's a done deal. In most areas of life the majority of people will take the safe option, it's human nature. Watch C isn't that radical, but is the most marmite design which tends to frighten the conservative majority who generally look at the here & now, rather than considering what has the potential to be a future classic. I suspect A will sell out quickly but in time might be the most traded FLE because it will become boring very quickly.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I.I.D wrote: I suspect A will sell out quickly but in time might be the most traded FLE because it will become boring very quickly.
Try getting hold of the C20 FLE. :D
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin