2013 FLE - Case Poll

The fifth forum Limited Edition
Sold out

2013 FLE - Case Poll (please read before voting)

Poll ended at Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 am

C20
10%
C60
9%
C10
50%
C9
8%
C8
5%
C5 MkII
18%

Total votes: 134

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

2013 FLE - Case Poll

Post by Kip »

2013 FLE - Poll #4 - Case

Please read before voting...

This is the final stage of the scoping phase for the 2013 FLE. Having had three polls, we are now clear that the forum members have indicated a preference for a sports style watch at the approximate price point of up to GBP 450 / USD 685, with a mechanical movement.

In order to finalise the scope, it is now time to consider which case should be used as the basis for the FLE.

We have selected potential cases based on the previously selected criteria, and tried to keep this as open as possible. We have omitted cases which are not suitable for one reason or another (for example chronograph cases and cases where the base donor watch is at or above the agreed budget).

As a reminder, in order to confirm the basic requirements of the FLE, we intend to ask the following four questions in sequence....

1. What style of watch do you want (dress, diver, sports, marine, aviator)?
2. What should be the approximate target price?
3. Which movement should we choose?
4. Which existing case should we choose?

This poll is for the fourth question - the case.

When we have received the preferences for all four questions, we believe we will have a solid framework for the detailed design work. We will know what sort of watch we are looking for, an approximate price point, and the combination of movement and case we should work with. At this point, we can ask CW to validate our direction - to ensure that we have a feasible and realistic target.

The most obvious omission from the poll choices is the C11. We have concluded that it would be unrealistic to base the FLE design on the C11, where the basic price of that watch is already at the ceiling of our agreed price range.

Where appropriate, we believe we could potentially change the crown or case finish in order to convert the chosen case to meet the 'sports style' brief. If the C60 is selected, the bezel can be changed.

In order to support your decision, below you will find a table showing all the dimensions of the shortlisted cases, as well as an image of the cases, stripped of dials and straps.

The majority of the donor models with these cases have a similar basic price, and clearly, the price of the donor model will have a bearing on the final price of the FLE. In essence, the lower priced models provide more scope for additional features or a lower priced FLE, whereas the higher priced models provide less flexibility.

With all the above in mind, this is the fourth poll. The intention is to determine the preferred case for the 2013 FLE.

Please choose one option. The poll will last for 4 days. You can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: 2013 FLE - Case Poll

Post by Aesculapius »

Kip,

A quick question; I can pretty much guess what your reply will be but, as I haven't yet seen this mentioned elsewhere, I thought I'd seek clarification / confirmation as it may have an impact on case choice.

Given that many of the donor watches come in relatively close to the intended price limit in their "basic" versions on leather straps, I guess it would be fair to say that any additional expenditure incurred by including a bracelet in the FLE specification would push the price up to or well over the limit before we've changed any other part of the specification...?

Previous FLEs have been offered at one price on leather with the usual extra-cost options for those wishing to either exchange or add a bracelet. Is that likely to be the plan here? (Assuming, of course, that an appropriate bracelet exists for the chosen base model.)
Mr Kirk
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

2013 FLE - Case Poll

Post by Mr Kirk »

I think it's been mentioned somewhere else in the process that the price is based on a leather/rubber strap. Probably in the price poll blurb.
C5 Aviator Mk1 - Black - #1450
C5 Aviator Mk2 - Black - #0296
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

So, early running in the final poll combined with the results from the other polls would suggest that we are in for a c10 case with an sw200 designed in a sporty manner. Interesting ;)
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

I think it is a real shame we have lost the c11 case but I appreciate why. All part of the process and it makes it all the more exciting to see what the FLEC team come up with based on the results of the poll.
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

Yes indeed; shame about the C11. Wouldn't have been my first choice anyway but I can see why folks would have liked to have had it included as an option. Given the price point vote it was pretty much inevitable that it would be excluded.

It's fascinating to see where this is leading. C10 Auto Sports would appear to be the likely outcome unless there's a sudden surge for manual-wind in a later poll.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

Problem with manual wind is the price point I think. Take the C9 fle with the unitas 6974 (think that is right?) , came in at 599 GBP reduced from 720 and Chris was able to source a limited number of them at a reasonable price. Unless CW and the FLEC have something special up their sleeve, I can see it being an sw200 or eta2824 depending on availability. Also, an automatic is more practical in a sports watch than a manual wind do you not think? Maybe CW have developed their own in house automatic movement at a reasonable price point and are ready to unleash it in the 2013 FLE!?!? :grin:
highway62

Post by highway62 »

given that the C11 has (understandably) been excluded it's C10 for me, hopefully in polished finish & minus the diamond crown.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I have to agree with H regarding the finish of the C10.

I had assumed that the it would necessarily be in brushed and therefore went for my second choice, the C5 Mark II.

BTW H, your bright yellow avatar reminds me of the sunshine you bring into my life :)

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
highway62

Post by highway62 »

awww shucks :lol:
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

A little bit of vom just popped into my throat, thanks guys.

Also went for C10 case as it is more accommodating than the C8 case.
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Is C10 available with polished finish. It would help voting if we know?

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

I would have preferred the C60 case with Tachymeter bezel and single action Stopwatch Crown but we all know that we won't be getting something like that..........

I'm not really sure what to go for tbh, maybe my imagination isn't as good as everyone else's but I just can't picture a sports watch that is automatic, under £450 and in one of the cases available, I guess I'm going to have to sit back from this one and hope that the FLEC can help guide me into the light.

Rookie
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Changed my vote to C20, i know we have had a C20 FLE before but it was the best FLE plus the C20 case has still got life (and a desirable bracelet to match, not to mention i adored my old one when i owned it) - I cant see a C10 sports watch at all (but a 3, 6, 9 explorer style C20 would look tasty) - The WR would have to be uprated for a start and possibly a bezel change as its too aviator.

It appears its going to happen though so the design team certainly has its work cut out!
I miss all the great things that may never be.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

robinbarke wrote:Is C10 available with polished finish. It would help voting if we know?

Robin
Kip wrote:

Where appropriate, we believe we could potentially change the crown or case finish in order to convert the chosen case to meet the 'sports style' brief. If the C60 is selected, the bezel can be changed.

Richard