2013 FLE - Case Poll

The fifth forum Limited Edition
Sold out

2013 FLE - Case Poll (please read before voting)

Poll ended at Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 am

C20
10%
C60
9%
C10
50%
C9
8%
C8
5%
C5 MkII
18%

Total votes: 134

Macca

Re: 2013 FLE - Case Poll

Post by Macca »

Ok so I have a question, as its an FLE and as its looking like being based on a C10.... Can it have a view back?
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Macca wrote:Ok so I have a question, as its an FLE and as its looking like being based on a C10.... Can it have a view back?
This is one of the questions already being discussed in the FLE committee. A view back requires a decorated movement, both of which elevate the price. More on this at the appropriate time.
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

Mr Rick wrote: Just for the sake of discussion could you put one of your dials in a C5 case?
Yes, that seems fair. I'll need to find the original C5 drawings on here so I can put together a fairly accurate representation on the case. Once I've done that, I'll adapt the dial shown above for the C5 Mk2 case and put it side-by-side with the C10 for comparison. Bear with me...
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

I can't see a fully decorated movement + display case being within budget!

Can't actually find a photo if the normal C10 back... am I just being dense?

--
Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Macca

Post by Macca »

jmarchitect wrote:
Macca wrote:Ok so I have a question, as its an FLE and as its looking like being based on a C10.... Can it have a view back?
This is one of the questions already being discussed in the FLE committee. A view back requires a decorated movement, both of which elevate the price. More on this at the appropriate time.
I'll be patient and wait then, even a view window like the C8 would be nice rather than a decorated movement
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Cirrus wrote:I can't see a fully decorated movement + display case being within budget!

--
If you look carefully at the enlarged picture of the crown on the website of the C10 you will see a solid back. Wouldn't take too much notice of this though as they probably haven't decided yet otherwise they would, presumably, have included a full picture of the back!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

robinbarke wrote:
Cirrus wrote:I can't see a fully decorated movement + display case being within budget!

--
If you look carefully at the enlarged picture of the crown on the website of the C10 you will see a solid back. Wouldn't take too much notice of this though as they probably haven't decided yet otherwise they would, presumably, have included a full picture of the back!

Robin

"The reverse of the case carries a deep-etched engraving of the iconic Sopwith Camel bi-plane together with the Latin inscription,”mea anima est in caelum“ which translates as ”my soul is in the sky” - a sentiment we feel would have been approved of by those courageous men in their flying machines."

But we have yet to see pictures.
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

I wonder how much that engraving costs given we won't need it ;)

--
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Mr Rick wrote:
robinbarke wrote:

--

Robin

"The reverse of the case carries a deep-etched engraving of the iconic Sopwith Camel bi-plane together with the Latin inscription,”mea anima est in caelum“ which translates as ”my soul is in the sky” - a sentiment we feel would have been approved of by those courageous men in their flying machines."

But we have yet to see pictures.
Quite right. Read the words as well as look at the pictures!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
highway62

Post by highway62 »

downer wrote:
highway62 wrote:
downer wrote:I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect the standard C10 case is neither brushed, satined or polished. I think it is bead-blasted - like the C8 and the original C6.

I can't really see a bead blasted finish working on a sports watch, so we would probably need to change it to brushed or polished, or some combination of the two...
we seem to be agreeing far too much these days....
Yes. :) However...... I have to quibble a little with your earlier post...
highway62 wrote:C5 just too small with an inadequate lug width to say "sports". Certainly the water resistance does need to be addressed 200m as a preference, 100m as a necessity.
I don't think we need 200m on this watch. !00m would be nice, but there are plenty of sports watches out there with 50m WR. A classic example is the Omega Speedmaster Professional. An iconic sportswatch, known for its toughness and go-anywhere capability. The Hesalite versions have 50m and nobody seems to mind too much.
you're right, poorly worded. A necessity for me would be better :wink: , can be paid for by ditching the unneeded engraving on the backplate ! :lol:
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Well, it seems pretty clear from the poll that we're going to have to create 50 FLEs in the C10 case, and the other 50 in the C5 case. :thumbup:
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

Mr Rick wrote: Just for the sake of discussion could you put one of your dials in a C5 case?

As requested...

I've tried to keep these as similar as possible, just for comparison. The C5 is a little bit approximated, given that I don't have an original drawing to work from -- but it's taken from measurements of my own Mk1 and also up-sized to the dimensions given in Kip's first post at the top of this thread. The overall proportions and scale to the C10 should be correct.
Halt
Senior
Senior
LE-two: yes

Post by Halt »

atnits wrote:Well, it seems pretty clear from the poll that we're going to have to create 50 FLEs in the C10 case, and the other 50 in the C5 case. :thumbup:
With 55 votes for the C10 and 22 votes for the C5 it is a real stretch to say 50/50. Do I detect a preference? :D
sparky135
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by sparky135 »

I've cast my vote but I have to say I'm not sure, judging by the route this appears to be going, that this is going to be a watch for me.

I'll keep an open mind and will continue to monitor the progress. The finished product may well surprise me and I may end up getting one but as it stands at the moment I'm erring towards something else.

I'm still very much enjoying the process and I'm sure the finished article will be a watch to be proud of. :thumbup:
John

Current: C7BRGT-390-MK2, C3SKK, C8SKK-MK2, C5GWT, Seiko Diver
Incoming: something from Santa
On the radar: C60 GMT, C9 GMT, Stowa Antea 390, Damasko DA36, Nomos Tangente
SWMBO: S21-MOP-SBS
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Post by paw3001 »

Aesculapius wrote:As requested...

I've tried to keep these as similar as possible, just for comparison. The C5 is a little bit approximated, given that I don't have an original drawing to work from -- but it's taken from measurements of my own Mk1 and also up-sized to the dimensions given in Kip's first post at the top of this thread. The overall proportions and scale to the C10 should be correct.
I have to say that the C5 case doesn't do it for me personally and the C10 looks better. Also I find that with this particular dial design it is a bit too close to the Omega Aqua Terra territory for my liking. Much preferred your other dial designs to be honest. The main thing we would need to discover once we have all the design information, is could this watch be produced at our budget of £450...I'm not so sure.

PS Just for clarification this in my personal view and is not connected with the FLEC
Watches - Too many but not enough!