2013 FLE - Case Poll

The fifth forum Limited Edition
Sold out

2013 FLE - Case Poll (please read before voting)

Poll ended at Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 am

C20
10%
C60
9%
C10
50%
C9
8%
C8
5%
C5 MkII
18%

Total votes: 134

No Name
Junior
Junior

Re: 2013 FLE - Case Poll

Post by No Name »

Can anyone vote even if they have no thought of purchasing it or is that a bad thing even if one changes there mind :?
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"
CW-watches: 1

Post by 28800bph »

No Name wrote:Can anyone vote even if they have no thought of purchasing it or is that a bad thing even if one changes there mind :?
Anyone on the forum can vote regardless of intent to buy. Not a bad thing at all!
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

Fishnchips wrote:After looking at this I really like the C10 but how do I change my vote?
Just go back up to the top of this thread, select the other case you are wanting and click submit vote and it will load/update the poll, you can do this as many times as you want until the poll closes :)

Rookie
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Mr Rick wrote:On the subject of the need for polished cases and exhibition backs, keep in mind that the C5 case is already available polished and with an exhibition back. No added costs incurred there. :thumbup:

( No I won't give up on my C5 case crusade.) :lol:
Obviously I'm hoping for the C5 case because that's the only case in a good size for my small wrists - and Aesculapius' sketches show that a sports-style design in the C5 case is viable - but I have to admit C10's lead looks insurmountable.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
ahogg2102
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by ahogg2102 »

I like the C8 for its 22mm strap but looking at the poll results so far not many others do.
Waldoh
Junior
Junior

Post by Waldoh »

paw3001 wrote:
Aesculapius wrote:As requested...

I've tried to keep these as similar as possible, just for comparison. The C5 is a little bit approximated, given that I don't have an original drawing to work from -- but it's taken from measurements of my own Mk1 and also up-sized to the dimensions given in Kip's first post at the top of this thread. The overall proportions and scale to the C10 should be correct.
I have to say that the C5 case doesn't do it for me personally and the C10 looks better. Also I find that with this particular dial design it is a bit too close to the Omega Aqua Terra territory for my liking. Much preferred your other dial designs to be honest. The main thing we would need to discover once we have all the design information, is could this watch be produced at our budget of £450...I'm not so sure.

PS Just for clarification this in my personal view and is not connected with the FLEC
I believe the Omega dial texture was inspired a bit by the Bremont Supermarine.
http://www.bremont.com/chronometers/ran ... n#selector
nuttcrac69
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by nuttcrac69 »

Had my vote on C8 at first, but changed to C10 as it is very similar, but slightly smaller, thus more practical...
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Post by paw3001 »

Waldoh wrote: I believe the Omega dial texture was inspired a bit by the Bremont Supermarine.
To be fair, I am lucky enough to own both the Aqua Terra and the Bremont SM 500 and I would say the dial on the above mock up is more reminiscent of the Aqua Terra rather than the Bremont SM500.

Plus in my view all watches share some DNA, its unavoidable, whether the 8500 Aqua Terra dial was inspired by the Bremont SM 500 I wouldn't know but I would be surprised if it was and I am sure someone can pick out a much older watch that used a similar dial design! :D

Both lovely dials though

Watches - Too many but not enough!
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

Actually, it was neither -- and both. But that's the whole point, ALL of these other watches are known to us and we all like different bits of many different designs; that colour, this face, those hands, these indices...

When I started, the indices were originally inspired by my C15; those batons may also look like the AT but, actually are even nearer to the minimalist black Steinhart posted in the General Discussion thread -- but I've never even seen that watch before! The original version of my sketch of the grey-face C10 had a "classic" CW two-layer dial, with the galvanic effect around the outer dial and, originally, the guilloche of the C15 in the centre. That looked more "dress" watch than "sports" watch so I changed it for the incised lines pattern similar to the AT or the Supermarine, although it was not deliberately intended to be like either. The comparison of the C10 and the C5 cases doesn't have the outer galvanic section to the face simply because I was trying to do them quickly and didn't want to fiddle about doing the cut-out section around the date window, so I just deleted that component from both designs (!). In retrospect, I should have kept it - it would have worked nicely for the C5 and would have harked back to the Mk1 Malvern and Mk1 Aviator. The tritium tubes I threw in as an extra detail as it just seemed like a nice functional detail to have on a useable Sports watch.

Ultimately though, my sketches above are just that; sketches. It was an attempt to show what *could* be possible and to give some hint of what we could be working towards when thinking of the watch as a whole. This was never intended to show a finished design. There are a number of things I would certainly change for a fully-worked up proposal but I'm waiting for the end of the polls and more guidance from the FLEC before I spend time an effort on that sort of detail. I'm waiting to see if we develop some sort of consensus on things like colour, style of hands, batons vs. numbers for the indices and so on.

What this FLE needs to really stand out is some original and innovative thinking -- and I don't care where that comes from or whose idea it is, as long as it's a good one!!
:D
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

2013 FLE - Case Poll

Post by MiniMpi »

Well it's the C10 wins :)
50% of the vote.

Looking forward to the designs now :D
Macca

Post by Macca »

50% of the vote, well done C10, Looking forward to the design phase.. onwards and upwards as they say!
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

MiniMpi wrote:Well it's the C10 wins :)
50% of the vote.

Looking forward to the designs now :D
I demand a re-count!
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by Clarky »

Waldoh wrote:I believe the Omega dial texture was inspired a bit by the Bremont Supermarine.

The Omega Aqua Terra 8500 dial was apparently inspired by the teak decking on sail boats like this

I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

I reckon folks are just excited for the C10 and that's why it won. An automatic sports watch under £450 at 42mm. Hmmm. In essence the 2013 FLE already exists - it's a C10.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Mortis wrote:I reckon folks are just excited for the C10 and that's why it won. An automatic sports watch under £450 at 42mm. Hmmm. In essence the 2013 FLE already exists - it's a C10.
It's an aviator watch though Mortis, I think it looks about as sporty as my Nan :D