2013 FLE Price Point Poll

The fifth forum Limited Edition
Sold out

2013 FLE - Approximate Price Point Poll (please read before voting)

Poll ended at Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:20 am

Up to GBP 300 / USD 400
2%
Up to GBP 450 / USD 685
59%
Up to GBP 600 / USD 825
31%
Up to GBP 750 / USD 1025
4%
Above GBP 750 / USD 1025
3%

Total votes: 124

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

2013 FLE Price Point Poll

Post by Kip »

2013 FLE - Poll #2 - Price Point

Please read before voting...

Now that the forum has indicated the preference for a sports watch for the 2013 FLE, it is time to consider the indicative price point.

At this stage, it is impossible to be totally accurate with the final price of the finished watch, so we will use this poll to establish the ballpark price.

As a reminder, in order to confirm the basic requirements of the FLE, we intend to ask the following four questions in sequence....

1. What style of watch do you want (dress, diver, sports, marine, aviator)?
2. What should be the approximate target price?
3. Which movement should we choose?
4. Which existing case should we choose?

This poll is for the second question - price range.

When we have received the preferences for all four questions, we believe we will have a solid framework for the detailed design work. We will know what sort of watch we are looking for, an approximate price point, and the combination of movement and case we should work with. At this point, we can ask CW to validate our direction - to ensure that we have a feasible and realistic target.

As stated, it is not possible to be precise about final pricing, but in order to support your decision, we have included a table of the watches in the CW range, together with the price for the base (leather/rubber strap) versions.

We should expect to add a small amount to these base prices - to cover the costs of any limited edition specialities, and clearly, if we select a different movement or additional complications, the price will probably increase further.

The watches in the table are not intended as the basis for the FLE or to drive a specific direction, they are merely provided to aid the decision.

Please bear in mind, we cannot perform miracles. The correlation between price and features should be pretty obvious, but we feel it is important to stress that by restricting the target price, you will inevitably restrict the choice and grade of movements. Please be aware of this when you cast your vote.

Note. The poll prices shown in GBP include UK VAT. The prices shown in USD would be applicable outside of EU countries and is subject to varying exchange rates.

With all the above in mind, this is the second poll. The intention is to determine the approximate price range of the FLE.

Please choose one option. The poll will last for 4 days. You can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
SteveM
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Re: 2013 FLE Price Point Poll

Post by SteveM »

Vote cast! I'm enjoying this process; it's very interesting to watch the scope develop.
Oris divers date
G-Shock G-9100 Gulfman
CW C5 Aviator Mk 2
CW C61 Trident Pro Auto 38mm Black Bezel

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped.
Groucho Marx
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

I think we can already see how this is going to end lol!

Rookie
FieryTowse
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by FieryTowse »

Rookie1986 wrote:I think we can already see how this is going to end lol!

Rookie
Early days yet!

I voted £450, somewhat at odds with my desire for a GMT movement which would be more in line with a £600 price point. However, I've never quite been able to reconcile the difference in price between standard and GMT models, which for the C60 now runs to £175 (bracelet models compared) - how do Steinhart manage it for 70 euros extra?
C3SKK/SKS
C11 KVKT
Omega Geneve Dynamic 135.0033 manual wind
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.003
Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial 233.30.41.21.01.001
Steinhart Ocean Two
Rolex GMT-Master II 126710BLNR
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

This will I think be the toughest call of all. £450 would be a nice figure, but estimating the additional costs associated with an FLE design probably means using a watch & movement basis that would I guess be about £350, so that too heavily restricts the case and movement options IMHO. For this reason I've gone for the £600 option with a hope that it might come in around £500 - 520 maximum which allows the FLEC more elbow room than the £450 limit.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

I initially voted "Up to GBP 300 / USD 400" on the basis that all projects come in over-budget anyway... but I didn't want to be the only one so moved it to the next one up ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
FieryTowse
Guru
Guru

Post by FieryTowse »

I.I.D wrote:This will I think be the toughest call of all. £450 would be a nice figure, but estimating the additional costs associated with an FLE design probably means using a watch & movement basis that would I guess be about £350, so that too heavily restricts the case and movement options IMHO. For this reason I've gone for the £600 option with a hope that it might come in around £500 - 520 maximum which allows the FLEC more elbow room than the £450 limit.
Don't complain when it comes in at £625 then! :lol:
C3SKK/SKS
C11 KVKT
Steinhart Ocean Two
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

FieryTowse wrote: I voted £450, somewhat at odds with my desire for a GMT movement which would be more in line with a £600 price point. However, I've never quite been able to reconcile the difference in price between standard and GMT models, which for the C60 now runs to £175 (bracelet models compared) - how do Steinhart manage it for 70 euros extra?
I am in the same boat - if we are going down the sports route i would like to see a GMT which is why I went for the next bracket up. I think the result will end up at the £450 mark though given the issues with the 2011 FLE price point. Certainly the early voting points that way.

All good fun!
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

I think the problem with limiting the price to £450, in line with early indications, will prove too restrictive and will severely limit the options for the committee. Immediately it will eliminate the prospect of a chronograph and most probably a GMT. Is this what we want? If it is to be a mechanical sports watch then the horizon looks to be the C60 case and we then have a derivative of last year's FLE.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

FieryTowse wrote:
I.I.D wrote:This will I think be the toughest call of all. £450 would be a nice figure, but estimating the additional costs associated with an FLE design probably means using a watch & movement basis that would I guess be about £350, so that too heavily restricts the case and movement options IMHO. For this reason I've gone for the £600 option with a hope that it might come in around £500 - 520 maximum which allows the FLEC more elbow room than the £450 limit.
Don't complain when it comes in at £625 then! :lol:
Why so? The parameter levels are clearly stated;

UP TO £600 - No complaints as within budget parameter

£625 = OVER £600, so any complaints would be justified as the parameter is exceeded, unless the overspend could be both justified to the forum & agreed BEFORE design completion.
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nathanclarinet »

robinbarke wrote:I think the problem with limiting the price to £450, in line with early indications, will prove too restrictive and will severely limit the options for the committee. Immediately it will eliminate the prospect of a chronograph and most probably a GMT. Is this what we want? If it is to be a mechanical sports watch then the horizon looks to be the C60 case and we then have a derivative of last year's FLE.

Robin
Unless it is a quartz chrono perhaps in the C11 case (which could double as aviator/sports??) which to me at the moment seems more appealing than another variation upon a C60 auto theme. You can already see the challenges facing the FLEC as the forum has its voice! Good luck to you I say :D
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

robinbarke wrote:I think the problem with limiting the price to £450, in line with early indications, will prove too restrictive and will severely limit the options for the committee. Immediately it will eliminate the prospect of a chronograph and most probably a GMT. Is this what we want? If it is to be a mechanical sports watch then the horizon looks to be the C60 case and we then have a derivative of last year's FLE.

Robin
Which is why we inserted the following...
Kip wrote: Please bear in mind, we cannot perform miracles. The correlation between price and features should be pretty obvious, but we feel it is important to stress that by restricting the target price, you will inevitably restrict the choice and grade of movements. Please be aware of this when you cast your vote.
With an open budget it would no doubt be possible to produce something very exclusive, the problem then being "whom does it exclude?" The answer probably being "most of the forum".

Any glance at SOTCs and "new watch" threads will indicate clearly that there is a considerable range of aspiration and budgetary facility within the forum...and we cannot expect members in all seriousness to vote for something they can't afford.

Please be assured, we were aware of and discussed that issue at some length, and the above was a concensus designed to remind members that we understand that.

On the case question, I believe there is still considerable scope given the choice of watch style and the way the price poll seems to be going at this early stage.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

I voted with the current majority at £450, because personally I cannot afford more than that. I accept that it limits the choice but there again at a higher price it would leave many of us with no choice! Having said that if a higher value wins out I am more than happy to then cease to be involved and enjoy reading the banter.
FieryTowse
Guru
Guru

Post by FieryTowse »

Some good points made. Vote recast.
C3SKK/SKS
C11 KVKT
Steinhart Ocean Two
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

Did the FLEC pick these price bands for a specific reason? It's just that virtually nothing can be done for under £300 but £350 might have been viable for something C5 auto based. Likewise up to £500 would maybe have given more space for C9 / C11 / C60 based options, followed by £650 and so on. Alternatively, the higher brackets were unlikely to have gained popular support so the lower ones could have been a bit closer together.