LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

2013 General Discussion

Post by Kip »

Here you may discuss anything related to the 2013 FLE.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Re: 2013 General Discussion

Post by Mr Rick »

The first poll is closed. Probably time to bump this. :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

2013 General Discussion

Post by MiniMpi »

Happy with the result of a Sports watch as its what I'm looking for.
As others had said, no matter what type won I'd probably have been interested anyway ;)
When's the next poll starting ?
sparky135
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by sparky135 »

I agree - sports is a good outcome despite not voting for it.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the next poll is on Friday.
John

Current: C7BRGT-390-MK2, C3SKK, C8SKK-MK2, C5GWT, Seiko Diver
Incoming: something from Santa
On the radar: C60 GMT, C9 GMT, Stowa Antea 390, Damasko DA36, Nomos Tangente
SWMBO: S21-MOP-SBS
downer

Post by downer »

sparky135 wrote:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the next poll is on Friday.
You did............ And, it is. :)
Richard
highway62

Post by highway62 »

If the next poll is on price some guidance might be handy, particularly in the sense of which movement(s) would be possible at each price point.
downer

Post by downer »

highway62 wrote:If the next poll is on price some guidance might be handy, particularly in the sense of which movement(s) would be possible at each price point.
It shall be provided, in one form or another... the current CW prices/movements are a good guide.
Richard
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

Very interested to see which cases make it into the case poll. Looking at the existing price structure & movement table, the obvious case/movement combo choices that could come within the chosen price limit would seem to be the new C5, the C9, C20 & C60 cases. As three of these cases have been used for FLE's already, it would be great to see the C5 get a run out - a classy case that's just a touch smaller than the others to suit a wider audience including those who can't or won't wear 40mm+ watches.

C'mon you know it makes sense :D
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes

Post by alphajet »

I.I.D wrote:Very interested to see which cases make it into the case poll. Looking at the existing price structure & movement table, the obvious case/movement combo choices that could come within the chosen price limit would seem to be the new C5, the C9, C20 & C60 cases. As three of these cases have been used for FLE's already, it would be great to see the C5 get a run out - a classy case that's just a touch smaller than the others to suit a wider audience including those who can't or won't wear 40mm+ watches.

There is also the new 42mm C10 case, it does not have to be an aviator watch only the dial makes it one. :D
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

alphajet wrote:
I.I.D wrote:Very interested to see which cases make it into the case poll. Looking at the existing price structure & movement table, the obvious case/movement combo choices that could come within the chosen price limit would seem to be the new C5, the C9, C20 & C60 cases. As three of these cases have been used for FLE's already, it would be great to see the C5 get a run out - a classy case that's just a touch smaller than the others to suit a wider audience including those who can't or won't wear 40mm+ watches.

There is also the new 42mm C10 case, it does not have to be an aviator watch only the dial makes it one. :D

Agreed, but I just can't see the C10 case suiting a sports style where the others look more appropriate somehow.
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mr Rick »

My hopes for an automatic GMT/Chronograph/Monopusher seem to have been dashed, so may I start a crusade to have the words 'Special Edition' printed on the dial ? :lol:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

I.I.D wrote: Agreed, but I just can't see the C10 case suiting a sports style where the others look more appropriate somehow.
Interesting you should say that — for me, the C10 actually looks like a pretty good bet as a case for a "sports" style watch. If you ignore the leather strap, the aviator face and the pilot-style crown then the shape of the curve into the lugs and the bevel and width of the bezel all look about right. I like the matte finish but I suspect it would also look good (and very different to the aviator version) in a polished finish. I can fully understand the concerns about the size of the case; I don't have the biggest wrists so the C10 at 42mm would pretty much be my limit. The fairly wide bezel on the C10 will, I suspect make it wear a little smaller too.

I also generally like the idea of a case that's not been used for a previous FLE. I very much like the C5 and love my Mk1 aviator but I for a sports design I don't think it would work as well as, say, the C10 — and I'm happy to cope with +/– 3mm...! The 20mm lug width would also seem more appropriate than the 18mm of the C5.

The current mechanical vs. quartz poll is fairly predictable so far but the case poll could be a whole lot more interesting. For what it's worth, automatic seems more appropriate than hand-wound for a sports watch but I'd have happily gone with a manual wind in something like a marine or aviator.

For c. £450 it seems not unreasonable that we could achieve something like this:
Chosen case case (polished, brushed or combo - obviously, the C10 would work for me), new face and hands (something like an AT textured face or CW graphite 'galvanic' face with applied baton indices would work), standard "CW" logo crown, bracelet (+/– leather strap option), SW200 movement. Not an Aqua Terra copy by any stretch but something inspired by that sort of general look as this seems to be where many of the voters are headed in the polls so far. Nothing ridiculously outlandish — rather something in a fairly classic style but which CW have not yet offered and which has a broad appeal across the Forum.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes

Post by alphajet »

Aesculapius wrote:
I.I.D wrote: Agreed, but I just can't see the C10 case suiting a sports style where the others look more appropriate somehow.
Interesting you should say that — for me, the C10 actually looks like a pretty good bet as a case for a "sports" style watch. If you ignore the leather strap, the aviator face and the pilot-style crown then the shape of the case, the bevelled edge facets as they curve into the lugs and the width of the bezel all look about right. I like the matte finish but I suspect it would also look good (and very different to the aviator version) in a polished finish. I can fully understand the concerns about the size of the case; I don't have the biggest wrists so the C10 at 42mm would pretty much be my limit. I very much like the C5 and love my Mk1 aviator but I for a sports design I don't think it would work as well as, say, the C10 — and I'm happy to cope with +/– 4mm...!

The current mechanical vs. quartz poll is fairly predictable so far but the case poll could be a whole lot more interesting. For what it's worth, automatic seems more appropriate than hand-wound for a sports watch but I'd have happily gone with a manual wind in something like a marine or aviator.

For c. £450 it seems not unreasonable that we could achieve something like this:
Chosen case case (polished, brushed or combo - C10 would work for me), new face and hands (something like an AT textured face or CW graphite 'galvanic' face with applied baton indices would work), standard "CW" logo crown, bracelet (+/– leather strap option), SW200 movement. Not an Aqua Terra copy by any stretch but something inspired by that sort of general look as this seems to be where many of the voters are headed in the polls so far. Nothing ridiculously outlandish — rather something in a fairly classic style but which CW have not yet offered and which has a broad appeal across the Forum.
I believe you have just described the 2013 FLE somewhere in there. :lol:
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Aesculapius »

Ha! Here's hoping... 8)

It wouldn't have been my first choice for the FLE but, on the other hand, it's likely to be the nearest I'll get to buying something like an AT (!).

When you see which way this process is starting to go, the likely end-point is becoming fairly apparent — at least in it's broadest sense. The finer details will be the discussion points; the devil is always in the details...!

:D
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Aesculapius »

I was just thinking; with a graphite galvanic face and applied baton indices in the, ahem, AT-style, we could look at things like a small amount of tritium tube lume to make this a truly useable Sports watch (say just the hands and 12/3/6/9 markers beyond the batons). The other thing that would be nice would be something of a unique strap option such as graphite grey to go with a graphite grey face (or whatever...!) as well as a steel bracelet option.

Obviously I won't mention blue... :shock: