2013 FLE - Watch Style poll

The fifth forum Limited Edition
Sold out

2013 FLE - Watch Style Poll (please read before voting)

Poll ended at Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Dress – (for example - C5, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Stowa Antea)
11%
Diver – (for example - C60, Rolex Submariner, Steinhart Ocean 2, Orient Mako)
10%
Aviator/Military – (for example - C8, Stowa Flieger, Smiths PRS-29A)
18%
Sports – (for example - Rolex Explorer I and II, Omega Aqua Terra)
46%
Marine – (for example - Stowa Marine, Archimede Deckwatch)
16%

Total votes: 147

I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Re: 2013 FLE - Watch Style poll

Post by I.I.D »

With 24 hours to go will the dress and diver camps realise the futility of their cause and begin tactical voting? Can the sports camp continue to reign supreme or will they get pipped to the post by a final aviator or marine surge? As Murray Walker would say, you can cut the tension will a cricket stump! :lol:

Tune in for the next gripping installment, same time, same place, TOMORROW! :thumbup:
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

My decision is based on what style of watches I already have; so wanting something different I have voted for an aviator

Furthermore, am I right in suspecting that the highest vote goes ahead?
The trouble with that is more than 50% do not want it!
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

mabotham wrote:

Nope..it's a cunning ploy to disappoint the maximum amount of forum members possible. We have already actually designed the FLE..all this poll stuff is just a ruse to get you lot thinking you are a bit involved.
:group3g:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

mabotham wrote:My decision is based on what style of watches I already have; so wanting something different I have voted for an aviator

The trouble with that is more than 50% do not want it!
You are unlikely to ever get a 50% + vote for something when you have 5 contestants or more. This is why it will surely come down to three leading options soon as people go for their second preferences. The % result isn't that important but numbers voting will increasingly be as that's a better but still unreliable gauge of actual demand.

:shock: Many a true word spoken in jest village :shock:

:lol:
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by mabotham »

It's a'll getting too complex for me. I know the forum has grown substantially over the last year or so; but all this democratic voting will just mean more people are disappointed when their favorite is not chosen. I have not been disappointed with the previous selections; so if it ain't broke....
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

The way I look at it is CWL have dress and aviator watches coming out of there earholes, dive watches are represented in a respectable numbers too. If the idea is to make something new the only way you'll do that with a dress watch is to add an expensive complication like a moonphase and how does anyone design a new aviator? To me that ones like flogging a horse (he's not dead yet but he's almost on his knees).

Sports watches as a niche has so much scope and can cover a lot of movements and designs its the only one that excites me - with the C4 peri gone, C70 almost gone (due to its limited edition statu) and the C20 technically a dress watch CWL is low on sports watches right now with mostly chronographs like the C700 covering the bases.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Dancematt wrote:The way I look at it is CWL have dress and aviator watches coming out of there earholes, dive watches are represented in a respectable numbers too. If the idea is to make something new the only way you'll do that with a dress watch is to add an expensive complication like a moonphase and how does anyone design a new aviator? To me that ones like flogging a horse (he's not dead yet but he's almost on his knees).

Sports watches as a niche has so much scope and can cover a lot of movements and designs its the only one that excites me - with the C4 peri gone, C70 almost gone (due to its limited edition statu) and the C20 technically a dress watch CWL is low on sports watches right now with mostly chronographs like the C700 covering the bases.
I think so too.
Mind you, having looked at the pics of Aifo's reversible, perhaps CW can do something similar for the FLE? I presume you only need a couple of screws and some sort of hinge thingy.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

mabotham wrote:The trouble with that is more than 50% do not want it!
No... more than 50% have expressed a preference for something else.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Aesculapius »

Dancematt wrote:The way I look at it is CWL have dress and aviator watches coming out of there earholes, dive watches are represented in a respectable numbers too. If the idea is to make something new the only way you'll do that with a dress watch is to add an expensive complication like a moonphase and how does anyone design a new aviator? To me that ones like flogging a horse (he's not dead yet but he's almost on his knees).

I'm inclined to agree -- CW already have a pretty decent range of aviators and the new C10 just adds another nice option to that list. Dive and dress are also pretty well covered. I went for Marine rather than Sports but following the same basic logic as you. It's something I'd like which so far hasn't appeared in the CWL range at all so would therefore make a really nice and very exclusive FLE. (Unless CW is already planning to do something like this with an existing case as an addition to the current range...?!)

That said, I wouldn't be upset by, ahem, an AT "inspired" (!) sports-style. It just wouldn't be my first choice.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

As the person who placed the 1st vote I will be happy if the current positions are maintained :winkgrin2:
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

2013 FLE - Watch Style poll

Post by paw3001 »

village wrote:
mabotham wrote:

Nope..it's a cunning ploy to disappoint the maximum amount of forum members possible. We have already actually designed the FLE..all this poll stuff is just a ruse to get you lot thinking you are a bit involved.
:group3g:
Don't worry guys the one we showed him was to keep him quiet and ease his dictatorial tendencies!

It's still all to play for as the other polls will have a large impact on the final design.

Remember this poll just gives us a steer with regards to style. Sports is a broad church when it comes to design and people's expectations, hence why some people feel the AT is more a dress watch rather than sports.

For me the bracelet, water resistance and belonging to the seamaster family give the game away that it is a sports style watch!

Keep voting!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
jrpippen
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by jrpippen »

GMT sports with internal, moveable, independent 24hr hand (2893-2) and external diving bezel.

Oh hang on!
If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Remember...

This is only the first poll...another starts on Friday. Watch for it!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Magnus »

This is my first post so - go easy...

I currently own the C8 Pilot Mk II, C7 Rapide Chronograph MK I and the Battle of Britain memorial Flight (speedhawk?)

I have voted for the sports option - however, as only a new member will I even be allowed to purchase one? Do you have to prove your worth 'time served' first?

:D
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
cholmes
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by cholmes »

"I'm inclined to agree -- CW already have a pretty decent range of aviators and the new C10 just adds another nice option to that list. Dive and dress are also pretty well covered. I went for Marine rather than Sports but following the same basic logic as you. It's something I'd like which so far hasn't appeared in the CWL range at all so would therefore make a really nice and very exclusive FLE."

ME TOO!

Go Marine! Its not too late for all you sports people to jump to Marine, and I encourage all the dress people to look at the Marine comparisons.

Just a gentle persuasion.