What to do about the Final 3?

The fourth forum Limited Edition
Sold out

Final 3 or Final 2?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:54 am

Continue with final 3 vote as planned. All 3 in the final round. (1 vote 1 watch)
69%
Have one more elimination round to reduce to Final 2. (1 vote - 1 watch)
21%
Don't care.
10%

Total votes: 70

itsxrw
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Re: What to do about the Final 3?

Post by itsxrw »

Royston 64 wrote:I don't understand the point of this 'would you buy it poll'. Isn't it obvious that you would buy a watch you like rather than dislike and that if you are voting wouldn't you vote for a watch you like.

Unless the 'would you buy it?' question becomes a binding contract it is worthless - or am I missing something here? :? :?
The way I see it, we have 3 different types of voters:

Voter #1 - voter that wants to vote and plans on purchasing

Voter #2 - voter that wants to vote but does not plan to purchase

Voter #3 - voter that does not want to vote for whatever reason

---

By having the two polls, it may better differentiate and satisfy the needs of all 3 of these voter types.

Voter #1 would be interested in poll #1 (which would you purchase?)

voter #2 would be interested in poll #2 (which do you like the best?)

voter #3 may be more inclined to participate since there is an option D: None of the above

---

In the end, I say the more data we can get the better and it would be very easy to implement.

Just my thoughts.

-pierre
Soon2BSoylent
Senior
Senior

Post by Soon2BSoylent »

Whats wrong with a good ole fashioned 3 way scrap?

You never know what might happen, in the Grand National does the favourite always win :?:
mikeodwyer
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by mikeodwyer »

Number one for me.
Makes it more likely that the RED will win.
Go the RED :D
Royston 64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Royston 64 »

itsxrw wrote:
Royston 64 wrote:I don't understand the point of this 'would you buy it poll'. Isn't it obvious that you would buy a watch you like rather than dislike and that if you are voting wouldn't you vote for a watch you like.

Unless the 'would you buy it?' question becomes a binding contract it is worthless - or am I missing something here? :? :?
The way I see it, we have 3 different types of voters:

Voter #1 - voter that wants to vote and plans on purchasing

Voter #2 - voter that wants to vote but does not plan to purchase

Voter #3 - voter that does not want to vote for whatever reason

---

By having the two polls, it may better differentiate and satisfy the needs of all 3 of these voter types.

Voter #1 would be interested in poll #1 (which would you purchase?)

voter #2 would be interested in poll #2 (which do you like the best?)

voter #3 may be more inclined to participate since there is an option D: None of the above

---

In the end, I say the more data we can get the better and it would be very easy to implement.

Just my thoughts.

-pierre
You can't be serious!

Here is a simple analogy - A guy walks into his local watch dealer and gets shown two watches and tells the salesman, "I'm definitely going to buy one of these". The salesman asks him which one he likes the best and the guy replies "watch A", so the salesman packages up watch B and says 'there you are watch B"
Will the guy be happy - No way
Is the salesman an idiot - Yes way

As for the people who don't want to vote - They don't have to - simple.

I can see the point of a final elimination poll but not the point of a 'would you buy' poll. by definition people will vote for the watch they are most likely to buy. Unless of course people 'run about' collecting watches they don't like.
Please someone tell me if I'm wrong here!!
CW’s - C63 sealander, C65 Chrono
Others - Rolex Submariner, Rolex Airking, Rolex Datejust, Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris, Bremont Airco Mach1, Duckworth Prestex Viewmatic and 1 or 2 others
kardnal
Senior
Senior
LE-foura: yes

Post by kardnal »

The original 3 way vote makes the most sense. First past the post has carried us this far, no sense changing the rules now.

For me, it's not a 'red vs blue' debate—It's timeless classic (ie the Scooter) vs trendy and flashy. Greatest respect to the Wilco fans, but if the Scooter gets knocked out, I won't be settling for an orange-blue watch. I'm sure I'm not the only Scooter 'fan' who feels this way, and there are probably Wilco fans that wouldn't buy a Scooter if the Wilco won the battle of the blue-watches.
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

As a new, impartial observer who wasn't around to vote in the previous rounds, the discussions on this are appear to be taking a familiar political track akin all those EU treaty votes - you WILL keep voting until you give us the right answer! :lol: which in this case seems to be following the Henry Ford principle of you can have any 2012FLE as long as its blue. I'm not sure I would buy any of them as I prefer the C6/60 Kingfisher design to the C60 Trident, so I may not vote but as several others have mentioned it only seems to make sense it voting for the one YOU like, not gearing the voting to keep out the one you don't.
downer

Post by downer »

It seems simple to me.

People should vote for the watch they would buy if it were to win. If they do not intend to buy the winner, why vote for it?

If that process is followed, the winning watch will be the one that most people want to buy - which is surely what this is all about.... :)
Richard
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robinbarke »

downer wrote:It seems simple to me.

People should vote for the watch they would buy if it were to win. If they do not intend to buy the winner, why vote for it?

If that process is followed, the winning watch will be the one that most people want to buy - which is surely what this is all about.... :)

On that basis, which has a first past the post logic, why not accept the result of the first round of voting? If you are in favour of a system which narrows down the options then it is only logical to go down to two. Otherwise you will still finish with a position where fewer people vote for the winner than the combined votes of the two losers, or at least that is the likely outcome.
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
downer

Post by downer »

robinbarke wrote:

On that basis, which has a first past the post logic, why not accept the result of the first round of voting? If you are in favour of a system which narrows down the options then it is only logical to go down to two. Otherwise you will still finish with a position where fewer people vote for the winner than the combined votes of the two losers, or at least that is the likely outcome.
Because in the first round, there were 46 entries, and therefore, the probability of there being more than one that a voter may like to purchase was far higher.

Having said that, I'd be happy to accept the result of the first round of voting. The Scooter won the first round with more than 30% more votes than the nearest competitor. In fact, the Scooter also won the second round.

My main point is that, at this stage voters should only vote if they intend to buy the watch they vote for..
Richard
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robinbarke »

downer wrote:
robinbarke wrote:

Because in the first round, there were 46 entries, and therefore, the probability of there being more than one that a voter may like to purchase was far higher.

Having said that, I'd be happy to accept the result of the first round of voting. The Scooter won the first round with more than 30% more votes than the nearest competitor. In fact, the Scooter also won the second round.

My main point is that, at this stage voters should only vote if they intend to buy the watch they vote for..

There's the rub, I think. The Scooter has, morally, won this competition but if three remain the Red could win through on a split vote for the remaining two blues. I hope everybody will be happy with that outcome should it occur.
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
stumpbass
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by stumpbass »

Thought up a possible alternative solution to this in the shower this morning. Please forgive me if someone else already alluded to this and I missed it.

Final Round Voting
*Check ALL boxes that apply (up to THREE)*

- I plan to buy the Wilko if it is declared the winner
- I plan to buy the Scooter if it is declared the winner
- I plan to buy the Red Jag if it is declared the winner

This way, nobody should be voting if they don't actually plan to purchase the watch. Since no watch would lose your vote just because it wasn't your favorite, no two-stage voting process would be necessary. Totals accumulate based on purchase likelihood and the "projected bestseller" gets the prize. Just a thought.
C5 Cream Auto
itsxrw
Junior
Junior

Post by itsxrw »

To clarify, I proposed the "would you buy" during initial elimination round discussions as supplemental data we could collect that may help CWL better gauge which watch designs are most popular. This could be useful if CWL decided to select a design for the 2012 line.

Downer stated "at this point voters should only vote if they intend to buy the watch" which is logical but at the same time not inclusive.

My main point for proposing 2 polls was to allow all types of voters an opportunity to participate, that's all, it was just a suggestion. But from the sound of things, it seems like we'll most likely stick to what was originally decided.
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

robinbarke wrote:There's the rub...
IMHO I think the rub here is that it proves you can't please all the people all the time.
You could design the best watch in the world and someone will not buy it because of the size of a sub-dial or the company logo is slightly in the wrong position or font for their preference :roll:

What we have is what we have. There's no point in wishing for something that isn't going to happen. FWIW I don't see it as a colour issue (even though that's what is in the design). For me it's about what type of watch you'd want to put on your wrist in the morning, what that watch says about you as a person (and not as a hedge fund investment).

I suspect people will vote for the watch they like. People also tend to buy the watch they like. If they can't buy the watch they like then they'll look at the alternative(s). Maybe not now but possibly for the future. If those alternatives(s) come onto the market at a later date then where's the harm? (so maybe a quickish reply to CWL on the thoughts for the candidates to include in a production run would be fairer).

Still, when all the huffing and puffing is over and all these threads are archived and forgotten at the end of the day they'll be a watch. Sometimes a watch is only just a watch. Some people will like it, others will not. Just about the same as every other watch out there then. No big deal really.

Can we please just have a vote? [-o<

Just some thoughts/rant, Alex :D

Going to take my medication now and have a lie down. Oh goody! here comes the nurse...
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I hesistate to write anything on this matter given my previous history on Forum LE's!! :lol: Plus, I will not be buying due to issues with the actual underlying design and I agree with Downer that anyone not intending to buy should not influence the result.
However, I have been watching the debate about a possible extra round of voting with some interest. I would suggest that the extra vote could only be considered in any way necessary IF the assumption is made that all (or at least a large majority) the supporters of the Wilko/Scooter would have the alternative blue faced watch as a close second favourite. If this is not in fact the case then there is no point in the extra round of voting.

Given that, I would suggest that those people voting for and considering purchasing either of the blue faced watches simply state in this thread, whether they would in fact consider buying either of the other candidates and if so which one (or both!) To give us a flavour of the opinions out there.

If is becomes clear that a large number of supporters of the Scooter, for example, would ONLY consider the Wilko as an alternative then the extra round of voting might well be a good idea. If the supporters are equally split amongst the Wilko and the Jagg then the extra vote becomes irrelevant...
Beastmaster
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by Beastmaster »

highway62 wrote: I agree with Downer that anyone not intending to buy should not influence the result.
Hmmm you see, nothing is simple really. First, I might buy the watch or I might not, it will depend on my finances closer to the time that I have to order, but surely I should be able to vote for my choice in the meantime? Also is this a "Limited Edition" or a "Forum Limited Edition?" If it is the latter then the emphasis should be on "Forum" and not 'Limited" and therefore it is not unreasonable to say that anyone who uses the forum should be able to have a vote on this, especially as the final choice might end up being bought by people who are so new to Christopher Ward that they have not even joined the Forum but they might be big contributors by 2012!
C6 yellow Kingfisher, C5 black Malvern Aviator Ltd Edition, C70 DBR1, C70 IT, C60 Trident 2012 FLE Scooter, C70 MC, C70 Cunningham