The fourth forum Limited Edition
Sold out
tartine.74
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: The Final 3 discussion

Post by tartine.74 »

Kip wrote:One thing that has not been discussed is how many will be built.

I suppose that many along the way would presume 100 would be the max. I am thinking that after the final selection has been made we should put up a poll to see how many will actually buy the final choice to assist us picking a number.
It will depend on what the final choice is... 8)

Nicolas
funky
CW-watches: 1

Post by funky »

Got to be the Wilko for me, just looks that bit different as an LE should
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

tartine.74 wrote:

I suppose that many along the way would presume 100 would be the max. I am thinking that after the final selection has been made we should put up a poll to see how many will actually buy the final choice to assist us picking a number.

Nicolas
Indeed.
I have not voted because I already own a Trident and don't intend to buy another.
Yet.

It depends on which one wins and whether I change my mind. :D
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

Loddonite wrote:
tartine.74 wrote:
Nicolas
Indeed.
I have not voted because I already own a Trident and don't intend to buy another.
Yet.
It depends on which one wins and whether I change my mind. :D
+1 to that lot, except add in an obligatory :twisted:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I'd definitely go for the Scooter if it wins. Voted for the Red Downer with the black bezel, not especially keen on the aluminium colour. Somwhow, I can't see myself taking to a watch with orange indices...but you never know! 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Royston 64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Royston 64 »

mikem wrote:
redd wrote:
Personally I view the LE as something that should stand out from the norm, so using that simple criteria the Scooter and Wilko are far too similar to the stock Tridents for me.

Only one stands out from the norm as an LE and thats the JAG RED #40 for me.
I said somthing very simular to in the first round, RED JAG for me as there is no other in there line up. IT would be a one off, the other blues are nice dont get me wrong, but how many Blue faced watches are out there in the world of watches....loads sorry. How ,many good quality reds....not many I've seen.
Red is, far as I know is a diffecult colour to repeat but if cwl get it right IT WILL stand out well as a LE

You can guess my vote of the 3 in the final going to be.
There is a reason that there are not that many 'red' watches out there. I have owned two (Speedmaster Schumacher and Eterna Kon Tiki chronograph) and after the initial 'WOW' the colour soon becomes tiresome and dare I say it - 'Tacky' (No offence meant Jag).

As for the wilko, lovely though it looks in daylight, anyone who owns a Trident GMT (black/orange) will tell you that the orange lume is pale and fades very quickly. The GMT gets away with this by having much brighter lume on the hands and also the little 'pips' around the dial.

The Scooter on the other hand appeals to a much wider audience and we have the chance to make it an exclusive 'Forum Only" watch. I know not everyone thinks of future value when buying a watch - but I do and I thinks Scooter's design is the one that will attract high residuals in the years to come.

In short it is FUTURE PROOF :D :D

No offence intended to JAG or WILKO (this is only my personal opinion).
CW’s - C63 sealander, C65 Chrono
Others - Rolex Submariner, Rolex Airking, Rolex Datejust, Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris, Bremont Airco Mach1, Duckworth Prestex Viewmatic and 1 or 2 others
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Agree! The Scooter looks stunning on the bracelet! 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

I am not sure whether this has come up before but I think there needs to be two further rounds of voting so as to eliminate one of the three watches remaining before the final vote. If not the winning watch could be red while almost twice as many votes are cast for blue. This does not seem to be particularly democratic and would not auger well for eventual sales. Had the three remaining watches been distinctly different then one further round of voting would have been appropriate - I think.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Royston 64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Royston 64 »

robinbarke wrote:I am not sure whether this has come up before but I think there needs to be two further rounds of voting so as to eliminate one of the three watches remaining before the final vote. If not the winning watch could be red while almost twice as many votes are cast for blue. This does not seem to be particularly democratic and would not auger well for eventual sales. Had the three remaining watches been distinctly different then one further round of voting would have been appropriate - I think.

Robin
Interesting thought - you might have a point there. :D :D
Others - Rolex Submariner, Rolex Airking, Rolex Datejust, Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris, Bremont Airco Mach1, Duckworth Prestex Viewmatic and 1 or 2 others
Beastmaster
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by Beastmaster »

Royston 64 wrote:
robinbarke wrote:I am not sure whether this has come up before but I think there needs to be two further rounds of voting so as to eliminate one of the three watches remaining before the final vote. If not the winning watch could be red while almost twice as many votes are cast for blue. This does not seem to be particularly democratic and would not auger well for eventual sales. Had the three remaining watches been distinctly different then one further round of voting would have been appropriate - I think.

Robin
Interesting thought - you might have a point there. :D :D
I think that is a very valid point.
C6 yellow Kingfisher, C5 black Malvern Aviator Ltd Edition, C70 DBR1, C70 IT, C60 Trident 2012 FLE Scooter, C70 MC, C70 Cunningham
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

robinbarke wrote:...I think there needs to be two further rounds of voting...If not the winning watch could be red while almost twice as many votes are cast for blue. ... does not seem to be particularly democratic and would not auger well for eventual sales....
To put a different viewpoint isn't that always been the case for a first past the post voting system?
It's a popular cry among the defeated parties that the government has been elected by a minority of the popular vote.
Yet they have been elected and they have a mandate to get on with ruining, sorry running the country.

Ok, this isn't a government election but it is first past the post vote.

I can't say for eventual sales. If only the people voting were voting to buy then you'd only in theory sell that number. What you don't want, as in my earlier hypothetical example, is to have a winner with say 90 votes but only 5 sales. However, if I understand human nature they'll be those who are swayed by the limited edition nature of the offering and buy anyway (even if to keep in a box).

Fair play to them who have said they are not going to buy and so will not vote.

Perhaps a balanced view prior to the vote would be to allow the candidates a thread in this sub-section where they can describe the inspiration and thinking behind their design and lobby for support. That may sway some who are against blue, red, orange, whatever when they understand some of the background. :-k

Just some thoughts, Alex :D
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
Beastmaster
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by Beastmaster »

st-rider wrote:
robinbarke wrote:...I think there needs to be two further rounds of voting...If not the winning watch could be red while almost twice as man

Ok, this isn't a government election but it is first past the post vote.
This is not first past the post if it were the Scooter with 46 votes would already have won, now we have a situation where red might win when more prefer blue. because it has gone on in knock out rounds then like the Fa Cup it should end up being a fight between the two finalists
C6 yellow Kingfisher, C5 black Malvern Aviator Ltd Edition, C70 DBR1, C70 IT, C60 Trident 2012 FLE Scooter, C70 MC, C70 Cunningham
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I'm not sure it's appropriate to lump all the so-called blue-watch-lovers together.

I'm guessing from some of the posts that there are those who would vote the Wilko but not the Scooter, even both are blue watches. I think the draw of the Wilko for some people is the bold contrast between the blue and the orange (rather than the fact that it's mainly blue), and it's entirely possible that to them, the Scooter is nice but too conservative, or not different enough from other blue divers.

For me, I like the Red Jag, and I can see the attraction of the all-blue Scooter although I'm not likely to purchase the latter if it wins (too guy-ish!). I'm not too sure I like the Wilko, precisely because of the orange and blue combo. So in my eyes, the 2 blue watches are totally different.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Clarky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

The Final 3 discussion

Post by Clarky »

I wouldn't buy a red trident as I'm not a fan of red watches. I'm on the fence on the blue and orange, I like the colour contrast but I want the black and orange GMT version, so a blue and orange is less appealing. I like the timelessness of the blue and white and this is where I would be putting my money if it becomes an option.
I can resist everything, Except temptation
Oscar Wilde
Royston 64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Royston 64 »

I like the timelessness of the blue and white and this is where I would be putting my money if it becomes an option

Absolutely agree!! :D

The opportunity to make such a widely appealing colour scheme a limited edition..........is just too good to pass up! :) :)