andys
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Re: 2012 FLE Elimination discussion

Post by andys »

The Laird wrote:Hi Kip, :D

Sounds fine to me as well.

I did like the idea someone had about the, would you buy? question in the voting system. That also sounded an interesting idea?

Till next time...

The Laird :D
I agree, there is a real risk of people voting for watches they have no real intention of buying. There would be nothing worse than there being a winner and only selling a handful.
Got:
Oris BC4, C70BE, Seiko Speedway Chronograph

Want:
Chopard Mille Miglia, Ball Cannonball, Omega Snoopy Speedmaster 45th
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

andys wrote:I agree, there is a real risk of people voting for watches they have no real intention of buying...
On this point unless someone is playing politics or silly buggers I personally can't see how you could say you like a watch but never buy it. Ok, well I can cost would make a watch out of range yet you may still like. However, the cost, if I understand right, is going to be ballpark Trident anyhow. So if you'd buy a Trident you can afford the FLE. Maybe someone can think of other criteria of liking but not buying, it's just I can't.

Voting system sounds ok.

I think when I asked before kip did say tweeks to the last 3 before voting - ah! found it...
kip wrote:The idea is to take all the candidates and let the members decide by majority vote which one will be the FLE.

Reduce the candidates by elimination vote to a managable number (10) so everyone can better focus on fewer options to reduce the candidates by vote to 3 finalists.

Tweak the 3 so they get the best look possible, then vote for one.
TTFN, Alex
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

andys wrote:
The Laird wrote:Hi Kip, :D

Sounds fine to me as well.

I did like the idea someone had about the, would you buy? question in the voting system. That also sounded an interesting idea?

Till next time...

The Laird :D
I agree, there is a real risk of people voting for watches they have no real intention of buying. There would be nothing worse than there being a winner and only selling a handful.
This is the trickiest part of any poll and is exactly why so many Fora who create a regular Limited Edition 'whatever' use a 'design committee' approach. Let's hope we can get it right and that everyone can be mature enough to vote for the best colour scheme, even if it's not their 'grail'.

PS I really liked the idea of removing colour-schems that are already in the line-up, for example Black & Orange, this should thin the field a bit AND hopefully make this FLE truly limited edition, after all a limited edition only works if more people want it than are available, if you keep extending the run (Omega? Hamilton Air Race?) then the LE tag is worthless.

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
The Laird
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by The Laird »

MAD AS A BOX OF FROGS!!!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

The problem may be solved.....

Hans has been able to raise the voting options from 10 to 50.

I can now enter all the candidates and limit it to 10 votes. Each vote being worth just 1 point each (We can't change that).

This most certainly is the easiest way. So now you guys tell which one to set up......

The normal polling way or the last suggestion I made a few posts back.

I admit I prefer the simple method but will still entertain my last suggestion. The normal process will at least be 100% visible to everyone.

Also note that we now have a 2012 FLE subforum and the threads have been moved.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
The Laird
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by The Laird »

MAD AS A BOX OF FROGS!!!
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by st-rider »

Kip wrote:...The normal process will at least be 100% visible to everyone...
It may be my cynical approach and apology for doing people a disservice but wouldn't that raise the spectre of tactical voting?

I mention that as the poll results are visible before you vote.

I'd prefer a secret ballot approach, but then that's just me.
I don't want to cause hassle and will go with the majority verdict (democracy eh!, wonder if it'll catch on?).

TTFN, Alex
Alex

Fizzics
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Fizzics »

rcherryuk wrote: PS I really liked the idea of removing colour-schems that are already in the line-up, for example Black & Orange, this should thin the field a bit AND hopefully make this FLE truly limited edition, after all a limited edition only works if more people want it than are available, if you keep extending the run (Omega? Hamilton Air Race?) then the LE tag is worthless.

Rob
Knew you'd have to admit it eventually............. :lol:
pieronip
Junior
Junior

Post by pieronip »

st-rider wrote:
Kip wrote:...The normal process will at least be 100% visible to everyone...
It may be my cynical approach and apology for doing people a disservice but wouldn't that raise the spectre of tactical voting?
Just wonder if there is anything wrong with tactical voting. You vote for your second favourite because your favourite desn't seem to have a chance - you are relatively happy because you got nearly what you wanted and others are happy to get exactly what they wanted. I would not feel that I was acting wrongly by voting for a watch that I thought second best, as long as I liked it and it was clear that my preference will not be available. It's a kind of 'automatic P.R.'
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Kip, you have worked so hard on this!

I suggest members award 10 points to their favourite 9 to second favourite and so on down to 1 point for tenth favourite.

Most members will buy their favourite but an indication of which of the others they will buy - if it wins - will be useful.

I will be happy to vote but unless the position of the date is changed I will find it difficult to commit to any!!

Good luck,

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

Kip wrote:The problem may be solved.....

Hans has been able to raise the voting options from 10 to 50.

I can now enter all the candidates and limit it to 10 votes. Each vote being worth just 1 point each (We can't change that).

This most certainly is the easiest way. So now you guys tell which one to set up......

I am happy with this way.
Graham
highway62

Post by highway62 »

robinbarke wrote:Kip, you have worked so hard on this!

I suggest members award 10 points to their favourite 9 to second favourite and so on down to 1 point for tenth favourite.

Most members will buy their favourite but an indication of which of the others they will buy - if it wins - will be useful.

I will be happy to vote but unless the position of the date is changed I will find it difficult to commit to any!!

Good luck,

Robin
If you really are not likely to buy then I would say you should not be voting. I have no intention of buying due to the design of the hands, and the position and shape of the date window, these cannot be altered under the rules set out, therefore I will not vote and influence the outcome for those who DO intend to buy....
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by st-rider »

redd wrote:...But start by clearing out any designs very similar to the current Trident range e.g. black/orange
I have thought about this idea.
On the face of it, it appears ok.
However, after due consideration, I disagree.

This is because, let's take my hobby horse, if CWL let me buy a Trident GMT with orange markers and put an orange bezel on it for me then it'd automatically be a limited edition as this combination couldn't normally be bought (please don't anyone remind me I could buy the two variations and do this manually. Sledgehammer to crack nut springs to mind).

So just to eliminate on the basis of similarity would appear unfair. Admittedly it wouldn't create a watch that was radically different from the current CWL offerings. I think subtle is the phrase. A nod to the current range and a wink to those 'in the know' but not shouting about it.

On the other hand doing something totally different from the current range (e.g. coloured face) would also make a statement piece.

I just think people should be given the choice between the two extremes, that's all.

TTFN, Alex
Alex

highway62

Post by highway62 »

Fizzics, I'd spotted that too, but really think this dead horse is beyond flogging any futher! :lol:
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

highway62 wrote:
robinbarke wrote:Kip, you have worked so hard on this!

Good luck,

Robin
If you really are not likely to buy then I would say you should not be voting. I have no intention of buying due to the design of the hands, and the position and shape of the date window, these cannot be altered under the rules set out, therefore I will not vote and influence the outcome for those who DO intend to buy....
Well I said 'difficult' but not impossible!! There are one or two, unlikely winners I think, where I could be tempted. We'll see. Incidentally, I would be happy to pay a premium to get that date window changed.

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com