Dartmouth - Which Strap?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Dartmouth - Which Strap?

Post by nowttolose »

Just sold an old Tag, and I’m going to use the funds to buy a blue Dartmouth, taking advantage of the Loupe code.

I have 3 watches on bracelets so I’m going for a strap. Plus with my 6.5 inch wrist a 41mm watch wears smaller on a strap, and I want that look.

I have a CW vintage oak leather 22mm strap, so the choice is between the canvas and rubber strap.

For those that have this/these strap(s), and view on which is most comfortable and which suits the watch better in the cold light of day. It is difficult to tell from the CW photos.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
Amor Vincit Omnia

Re: Dartmouth - Which Strap?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Any likelihood of getting it wet?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Dartmouth - Which Strap?

Post by nowttolose »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Any likelihood of getting it wet?
Not much as I have 3 other dive watches on bracelets for that.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Martin »

My Dartmouth is on the rubber strap. Comfortable and wearing extremely well. No regrets at all.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

If it were me, I would still buy it on the bracelet, as you never know how your preferences may change in the future and it's much more expensive to buy a bracelet separately later on.

Then I would buy a third-party strap to put it on, probably a blue Hirsch Tiger with white stitching, which gives the looks of leather with the practicality of rubber. But there's a whole world of straps out there to choose from.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
ssholloway21
Senior
Senior

Post by ssholloway21 »

welshlad wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 pm If it were me, I would still buy it on the bracelet, as you never know how your preferences may change in the future and it's much more expensive to buy a bracelet separately later on.

Then I would buy a third-party strap to put it on, probably a blue Hirsch Tiger with white stitching, which gives the looks of leather with the practicality of rubber. But there's a whole world of straps out there to choose from.
I agree with purchasing on a bracelet then buying other straps. I bought my C65 Super Compressor on a bracelet but always wear on the rubber. It is just good to have the bracelet.
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Thanks for the feedback and I'll have a think. Anyone actually got the canvas webbing strap and can comment?
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

ssholloway21 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:11 pm
welshlad wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 pm If it were me, I would still buy it on the bracelet, as you never know how your preferences may change in the future and it's much more expensive to buy a bracelet separately later on.

I agree with purchasing on a bracelet then buying other straps. I bought my C65 Super Compressor on a bracelet but always wear on the rubber. It is just good to have the bracelet.
It’s only worth buying on a bracelet if you’re intending to wear it on the bracelet. I’ve done what the chaps are suggesting before, then taken the bracelet off straight away because clasps are scratch magnets. You pay more for the steel option, then you need to buy another strap as well (unless you can find something suitable in strap your box).
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nowttolose wrote:Thanks for the feedback and I'll have a think. Anyone actually got the canvas webbing strap and can comment?
I've got a blue canvas webbing, for my C60 Bronze, which is really comfortable now that its worn in.

I actually got it pre-owned and looking a bit scruffy but a few minutes with a nailbrush, soap and water sorted that out and added to the faded & worn look.

Overall though, I'm another advocate of buying on bracelet although, if looking at the differential between the watch with a strap or bracelet and do the maths, there isn't any actual saving. Its just that lobbing out £150 or so for a bracelet later seems a lot.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

One extra point to consider is that if you keep the watch a long time, perhaps well after it has stopped being sold by CW in the future, then by buying the bracelet upfront you know you've always got it, as getting one years down the line may be difficult. There will always be hundreds of strap options available, but there's only one fitted bracelet option and that has time-limited availability.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

welshlad wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:37 pm One extra point to consider is that if you keep the watch a long time, perhaps well after it has stopped being sold by CW in the future, then by buying the bracelet upfront you know you've always got it, as getting one years down the line may be difficult. There will always be hundreds of strap options available, but there's only one fitted bracelet option and that has time-limited availability.
That’s an excellent point. C70 bracelets can’t be had now; I sold mine and perhaps I shouldn’t have.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I bought my blue Dartmouth on the v2 blue hybrid CW strap which I've worn it on for most of the summer. I then bought a bracelet for the watch and I think it looks absolutely superb on the C65 bracelet so recommend you definitely get one.

Although the v2 hybrid is said to be much more comfortable than the v1 hybrid, it isn't always the most comfortable on a hot day and if you can't get the perfect fit (one hole too tight, one too loose). For that reason I just bought a navy blue Barton Elite Silicon and that is a very comfortable strap and a pretty good colour match to the dial.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think the buy on a bracelet is much less marked with CW. CW pricing is pretty transparent. The watch with a bracelet seems to be £100 or so dearer, which reflects the exact difference in cost between a bracelet and a strap. The only difference is you might be able to save a little bit by buying a non CW strap, but CW straps are very good quality.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

JAFO wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:48 pm I think the buy on a bracelet is much less marked with CW. CW pricing is pretty transparent. The watch with a bracelet seems to be £100 or so dearer, which reflects the exact difference in cost between a bracelet and a strap.
And if you use the current voucher which came with Loupe #22, it pretty much makes up the difference. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Thanks for all the information and feedback.

I have made a decision to buy it on the canvas webbing because I only want to wear this watch on a strap (blue canvas or light/dark brown leather). The male protruding end links of the 22mm bracelet will push the lug to lug well over 50mm which is too big for my 6.5 inch wrist.

If I ever do see the need for the bracelet I’ll wait for a 15% off coupon (if one ever does appear again) like during Black Friday, as I’m in no rush to buy one. That makes it much more cost effective as I really want the canvas strap anyway.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue