Scuffed Strap

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Scuffed Strap

Post by JAFO »

I noticed that the end of one my cordovan straps has become slightly scuffed. I think the holes in the lug must be slightly too close to the watch case (not CW) so the strap rubs against the case, and it's slight grazed the surface of the leather. I have got a new strap with curved ends coming. The other part of the strap seems to be ok. The abrasion is hardly noticeable but I know it's there, and I wondered if I could repair this slight scuff. Any thoughts?

It's hard to photo, but here's a pic.
IMG_20210713_194314362~2.jpg
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Scuffed Strap

Post by nbg »

Clear shoe polish?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Leather Conditioner? i.e. Gliptone.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Had this with quite a few straps over the years. I use shoe polish and it covers it up, however it won’t prevent the issue that caused it from doing it again. You could also remove the spring bars and fit curved ones, I find that usually helps.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

If you're going down the shoe polish route (I would too), then Saphir do a dedicated cordovan leather polish. Not the cheapest, but top quality stuff across the range.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a curved end strap on the way, and I'll be careful about making sure there's clearance in future. I don't want to try to force a curve into the strap end. I'll have a look at the cordovan polish idea.

(I have had a look at saphir, and noted about a recommendation not to use polish with turps, so thanks for that tip especially)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Every straight end strap I’ve had on my MB2 has scuffs like that due to the knurled barrel - I couldn’t give a monkeys, it shows it’s mine and adds character to the strap. I don’t think I have a single leather strap without some sort of scuff or mark on it - if I don’t scuff them my dogs claws when play fighting certainly do :lol:

I do use a leather conditioner/cleaner on my straps, which gets rid of most scuffs anyway, but that’s because I don’t buy into the ‘can’t get leather straps wet’ theory - you go out in the rain in leather shoes/boots don’t you? So, I clean and condition my straps the same as I do a pair of boots and the water beads off them nicely. Chamberlains leather milk, top stuff.
couryj

Post by couryj »

A good leather cleaner and conditioner will fix this right up. I've used Lexol for years but now prefer products from shine supply; it's good stuff.