Most secure way to attach to wrist while swimming

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Surf609nj

Most secure way to attach to wrist while swimming

Post by Surf609nj »

Hello everyone!

I plan to wear my new C60 in the ocean and want to make sure that it won’t detach from my wrist. Are quick release straps secure? If not, which style watch band pin would you recommend? What other areas of concern are there in finding a rugged strap to use in the ocean? Are there any recommendations? I like canvas, sailcloth, and Perlon as materials.

Thanks!
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Most secure way to attach to wrist while swimming

Post by rkovars »

The classic and time tested answer would be a NATO. The reason being is that if a spring bar happens to fail the NATO still captures the other bar. With any other strap/bracelet if a spring bar fails you lose it all (single pass straps still work).

There are some high quality NATO straps out there that have a solid buckle as well (machined as one piece) so that you do not have a spring bar retaining the buckle. Most of the cheap options will have a spring bar retaining the buckle and this can be a weak point.

It is probably overkill on my part but I usually chuck my spring bars after the salt. They are cheap and I don't feel confident that I can get them completely salt free and they could corrode from the inside out.

How likely are you to catch the watch on anything? The activity would tell a lot too. Swimming and playing around in the surf I would say you would be fine with just about any durable strap as long as you keep them in top working order.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

What exactly do you mean by "in the ocean"? Swimming on the surface? Scuba? A bit of holiday splashing about or pounding the miles?

My first thoughts were NATO for the reasons already stated by Rkovars. That said I've swum off a beach with an Italian leather strap on a C60 and other than giving watch and strap a good rinse in clean cold tap water the same day I didn't worry at all.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I was going to say Nato/Perlon for safety, but I imagine any sort of bracelet or strap (other than leather) will most likely be OK. I am not sure about leather under water though.
Surf609nj

Post by Surf609nj »

rkovars wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:42 pm The classic and time tested answer would be a NATO. The reason being is that if a spring bar happens to fail the NATO still captures the other bar. With any other strap/bracelet if a spring bar fails you lose it all (single pass straps still work).

There are some high quality NATO straps out there that have a solid buckle as well (machined as one piece) so that you do not have a spring bar retaining the buckle. Most of the cheap options will have a spring bar retaining the buckle and this can be a weak point.

It is probably overkill on my part but I usually chuck my spring bars after the salt. They are cheap and I don't feel confident that I can get them completely salt free and they could corrode from the inside out.

How likely are you to catch the watch on anything? The activity would tell a lot too. Swimming and playing around in the surf I would say you would be fine with just about any durable strap as long as you keep them in top working order.
Thank you everyone for the information. The single pass throughs now make sense to me. I plan to use the watch surfing, swimming, fishing, and maybe even while I sleep. The watch shouldn’t get caught on anything but there’s always the possibility. I’ll search for single pass bands with a solid, preferably 316, buckle. Are there any brand recommendations to fit these requirements? I want canvas, Perlon, and/or sailcloth.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Mora straps are really good but it looks like he may just be getting rid of his stock and getting out.

ADPT Straps from the Wind Up shop are sort of in the middle as the buckles and keepers are a single piece of metal but are bent into shape and not machined. Still really tough.

Watch Gecko has a bunch too. For example the ZULU Military NATO. Just be careful of the buckle. They are good about showing side shots and you can see the pin hole if the buckle isn't a solid piece.

EDIT: In all honesty, the CW bracelet is good option too. Both push buttons need to be pressed simultaneously so inadvertently unlatching the mechanism while not impossible would be hard to do in use. Also the in bracelet micro adjust should give you enough for a wetsuit if you size it to be all the way closed in normal wear. The end links provide some protection to the spring bars as there is very little room for the bar to flex. It would need to completely fail. And they look great.
20200917_151018421_iOS (2).jpg
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

I also think the NATO's are a good option, but I would add a stretch option such as Erikas Originals work extremely well, are infinitely adjustable to fit over a wetsuit sleeve, and are a huge stress reliever on the springbars. If you are in the States, The Watch Steward, sells elastic single pass with great hardware. Not quite as big a selection of colors but more reasonably priced. A nylon single pass with a pin buckle held in place by a springbar is kind of defeating the original purpose of a NATO IMHO.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

This has been a really interesting thread to follow. Thank you to all who have contributed.
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

- Erica.
- NATO without springbars on the buckle.
- OEM bracelet, providing the watch is a decent brand.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I've actually just ordered an inexpensive velcro strap. I think it works like a nato, but you can't thread the strap through the pin, you have to fit the pin into position to retain the strap, then the velcro folds over to secure the strap. Infinitely adjustable and no tang needed.

X-treme velcro on eBay.
Surf609nj

Post by Surf609nj »

Thanks again for the information. I hope others will also benefit from this thread. I now know what to look for to identify a secure strap: NATO/Zulu/single pass through, solid buckle, and Ti/316L. The zuludiver straps seem solid. Additionally, they make canvas and Perlon NATO straps and have a 3 for 2 sale. Do the CW watches come with spring bars or should I purchase them with the straps? Standard or thick diver spring bars? Do I need a spring bar tool?

Regarding the bracelet, I understand a lot of people like the look/feel of brackets, but I’m one of the few people that don’t. If my watch came with one I’d probably use it, but I can’t justify buying one.

The nylon single passes like Erica’s seemed interesting too. But I think Watchaholic is correct. If the watch head sits directly on your wrist and a spring bar breaks the watch is gone.
“A nylon single pass with a pin buckle held in place by a springbar is kind of defeating the original purpose of a NATO IMHO.”
https://www.thewatchsteward.com/q--a.html

Links for reference to spring bar/tool:

https://www.zuludiver.com/collections/a ... 6260176993

https://www.zuludiver.com/collections/a ... g-bar-tool
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ CW straps, these days, have fitted quick release spring bars. You don't get separate spring bars with the watch.

If you are venturing into the world of NATOs you'll need to get some traditional springs bars and a spring bar tool; the Bergeon 6767 F (fine) or S (standard) - refers to the width of the fork - is the most recommended on here.

Good luck.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Surf609nj wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 am Thanks again for the information. I hope others will also benefit from this thread. I now know what to look for to identify a secure strap: NATO/Zulu/single pass through, solid buckle, and Ti/316L. The zuludiver straps seem solid. Additionally, they make canvas and Perlon NATO straps and have a 3 for 2 sale. Do the CW watches come with spring bars or should I purchase them with the straps? Standard or thick diver spring bars? Do I need a spring bar tool?

Regarding the bracelet, I understand a lot of people like the look/feel of brackets, but I’m one of the few people that don’t. If my watch came with one I’d probably use it, but I can’t justify buying one.

The nylon single passes like Erica’s seemed interesting too. But I think Watchaholic is correct. If the watch head sits directly on your wrist and a spring bar breaks the watch is gone.
“A nylon single pass with a pin buckle held in place by a springbar is kind of defeating the original purpose of a NATO IMHO.”
https://www.thewatchsteward.com/q--a.html
Really, a two piece watch strap will be lost if a spring bar detaches. A single piece watch strap won't because it's held in place by both spring bars, and if one fails, the watch is still secured to your wrist by the closed strap passing under the remaining spring bar. I don't see how the watch case back can touch your wrist with a single piece watch strap.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:17 pm I've actually just ordered an inexpensive velcro strap. I think it works like a nato, but you can't thread the strap through the pin, you have to fit the pin into position to retain the strap, then the velcro folds over to secure the strap. Infinitely adjustable and no tang needed.

X-treme velcro on eBay.
Those straps used to come on the Sekonda Xpose Scuba watches (I had 2 of them as beaters and they were brilliant watches - I threw them away when they needed a battery though!). Great straps for the money. If you fancy a better quality one, though, Carl @ Gasgasbones does the best in the business in my opinion - you just have to keep an eye on his site regular to get a slot when he’s taking orders.

Edit: I’ve just checked his site and his next opening cycle is 30th July
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

Some years ago, "Animal" used to make velcro straps in a variety of materials and they were brilliant as they always fitted really well and were very secure on the wrist.

From the comment above, surely the real purpose of a NATO strap is to fit an actual military watch with solid springbars?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left