Most secure way to attach to wrist while swimming

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Surf609nj

Re: Most secure way to attach to wrist while swimming

Post by Surf609nj »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:38 am ^^^^ CW straps, these days, have fitted quick release spring bars. You don't get separate spring bars with the watch.

If you are venturing into the world of NATOs you'll need to get some traditional springs bars and a spring bar tool; the Bergeon 6767 F (fine) or S (standard) - refers to the width of the fork - is the most recommended on here.

Good luck.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
All of these posts have been very helpful. I found the Bergeron tool at Esslinger, but am having a hard time figuring which spring bars to purchase for my mk3 c60 40mm watch. There are so many different kinds: straight, curved, single shoulder, double should, etc.
link for reference:
https://blog.esslinger.com/watch-band-p ... 1526326902
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

exHowfener wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:33 pm Some years ago, "Animal" used to make velcro straps in a variety of materials and they were brilliant as they always fitted really well and were very secure on the wrist.

From the comment above, surely the real purpose of a NATO strap is to fit an actual military watch with solid springbars?
Some of the MOD/Military issued watches had welded spring bars and a NATO type strap was the only strap that would work. But not all of them had the fixed spring bars. The Tudors issued to US personnel in the 70s for example had regular spring bars. They were issued NATO type straps with a cover that snapped over the crystal.

The strap I am talking about with the cover missing.

Haveston have come out with similar velcro straps as well. I haven't handled one but they look to be really good quality. Come in a bunch of different colors and themes.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Surf609nj wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:14 pm
All of these posts have been very helpful. I found the Bergeron tool at Esslinger, but am having a hard time figuring which spring bars to purchase for my mk3 c60 40mm watch. There are so many different kinds: straight, curved, single shoulder, double should, etc.
link for reference:
https://blog.esslinger.com/watch-band-p ... 1526326902
I get these. 20 mm width for 40 mm watch.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Surf609nj wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:29 am The nylon single passes like Erica’s seemed interesting too. But I think Watchaholic is correct. If the watch head sits directly on your wrist and a spring bar breaks the watch is gone.
“A nylon single pass with a pin buckle held in place by a springbar is kind of defeating the original purpose of a NATO IMHO.”
https://www.thewatchsteward.com/q--a.html
Erica's don't thread like that. They thread just link a single pass NATO.
Best picture I could find that shows it is this:

Jack London
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

exHowfener wrote:Some years ago, "Animal" used to make velcro straps in a variety of materials and they were brilliant as they always fitted really well and were very secure on the wrist.

From the comment above, surely the real purpose of a NATO strap is to fit an actual military watch with solid springbars?
They still do. I have a couple.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Straps from Erica's or The Watch Steward can be worn either way, just a matter of adjusting the length. The point I was trying to make, is the elastic material takes the stress off the springbar making failure extremely unlikely. Plus because of their stretchy nature, they are very comfortable, especially if you like to wear your watch low on the wrist. I could be proven wrong, but I would say most springbar failures come from a wrist bent back against a
watch worn below the wrist bone. Stretchy strap=no issue, no matter which way you decide to wear it.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Surf609nj

Post by Surf609nj »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 pm Straps from Erica's or The Watch Steward can be worn either way, just a matter of adjusting the length. The point I was trying to make, is the elastic material takes the stress off the springbar making failure extremely unlikely. Plus because of their stretchy nature, they are very comfortable, especially if you like to wear your watch low on the wrist. I could be proven wrong, but I would say most springbar failures come from a wrist bent back against a
watch worn below the wrist bone. Stretchy strap=no issue, no matter which way you decide to wear it.
I agree. The elasticity will dampen the stress on the spring bar. Also, with a single pass you significantly decrease your odds of total failure. Can anyone comment on their clasping mechanism? It looks like it could easily come undone if caught on something. For now, I ordered the Haveston A-12 canvas for looks, comfort, and ruggedness.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

My velcro strap came today, and I do like it. A bit fiddly as you can't thread the strap through, but it's a cool look. I imagine the whole thing stays attached in water.

This is 20mm, but looked fine on either a 20mm or 22mm. Even my wife liked the look.
IMG_20210715_153311301~2.jpg