Are You Willing To Say Goodbye...

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: Are You Willing To Say Goodbye...

Post by thomcat00 »

I used to be involved in the natural and organic foods industry. I understand the arguments. Just the same, I have two watches that are 35 years old. One of them is only on its second leather strap, the other is on its third. It’s a material that lasts. I had a pair of leather boots that gave me 25 years of service and most of the leather uppers was still in good condition when I finally let them go.

I’m not uncomfortable switching from leather; I’ll experiment with any materials. The “demand” for leather watch straps isn’t the primary argument to push for a change. Offer other options. People will select what works best for them. Dropping leather straps is not what will save a cow’s life. And as I look at my buying, I’ve purchased more non-leather straps in the last three years than in the prior thirty. Change will come but it will be gradual.

I’ve also experimented with different watches. One I have is carved from bamboo. It’s nice but not that nice. Another has a recycled resin case with a cork dial and repurposed canvas strap. Again, nice but not that nice.

Giving up meat will do more than dropping leather watch straps.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

I have to admit I don’t really give a toss what a strap is made of. If it looks good and is comfortable to wear then I’m happy.

I certainly don’t have any caveman macho aspirations to show my manliness by only wearing animal skins.

Neither would I attempt sarcastic cheap jokes about anyone who doesn’t want to wear leather as having too much “estrogen” (sic) in their water. . .
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
couryj

Post by couryj »

I love leather straps but I think manufacturers will stop producing them in the next ~20 years.
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

No from me. The animal is already killed for its meat and just discarding the leather would be such a waste
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

To be blunt, I believe giving up leather watch straps is a token "feel good" gesture.

That said, I would wear vegan straps if they looked better and were more durable than leather straps.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I assume that leather is a by product of food production, rather than the other way round, so it's hard to see why there should be no leather.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:47 pm I assume that leather is a by product of food production, rather than the other way round, so it's hard to see why there should be no leather.
I have zero insight to this however it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if cattle raised for beef and cows raised for leather were completely different beasts.
Drew
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:51 pm
JAFO wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:47 pm I assume that leather is a by product of food production, rather than the other way round, so it's hard to see why there should be no leather.
I have zero insight to this however it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if cattle raised for beef and cows raised for leather were completely different beasts.
I can’t believe that would be the case. That would mean beef herds are eaten, but their leather discarded, and at the same time leather cows skinned and their meat left to waste.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Just go to a Toby carvery, you get the leather on your plate.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
0uatiOWJAFO
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

0uatiOW wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:02 pm I can’t believe that would be the case. That would mean beef herds are eaten, but their leather discarded, and at the same time leather cows skinned and their meat left to waste.
I agree with you 100%, and can’t imagine that would be the case. All I meant is that it wouldn’t surprise me if some expert weighed in and said, “ Well actually, leather comes from a specific breed of cow raised with a diet designed to produce perfect hides for making leather, while beef cattle produce terrible hides because of all the hormones they’re fed.”
Drew
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:27 am
0uatiOW wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:02 pm I can’t believe that would be the case. That would mean beef herds are eaten, but their leather discarded, and at the same time leather cows skinned and their meat left to waste.
I agree with you 100%, and can’t imagine that would be the case. All I meant is that it wouldn’t surprise me if some expert weighed in and said, “ Well actually, leather comes from a specific breed of cow raised with a diet designed to produce perfect hides for making leather, while beef cattle produce terrible hides because of all the hormones they’re fed.”
Noted. I’m regret not having gone with my original response, which was going to be something like “sounds like we should all be eating more beef and buying more leather products to reduce waste ….”
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
jkbarnes
Just call me Diderot
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:16 pm Just go to a Toby carvery, you get the leather on your plate.
At a festive lunch one year at the Brewers Fayre (yes, “Fayre”, ugh), they informed me that they don’t get much call for rare beef as they sliced grey lumps off what was optimistically advertised as rib roast.

[Before anyone tells me it’s my own fault for going there, it was a group outing for some old folks.]
Just call me Diderot
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I just read a really interesting article about faux leather made from mushrooms! It can be grown to specific sizes and shape and is apparently more robust than real leather. I’ll see if I can find the link.

Here it is:

Mushroom leather
Drew
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:17 pm I just read a really interesting article about faux leather made from mushrooms! It can be grown to specific sizes and shape and is apparently more robust than real leather. I’ll see if I can find the link.

Here it is:

Mushroom leather
Developments in this area are certainly happening and the alternatives to regular leather will continue to grow. When the adoption of such initiatives moves from the likes of Hermes and Stella McCartney down to influencing Adidas it will eventually go mainstream.

10 years ago if someone had said that I would consider ever eating a plant based bolegnese I would have laughed and said never! But here I am not eating meat every night and buying non-leather trainers https://www.yatayatay.com/uk/p/materials

How things will be in 20+ years with the options available might be very surprising. Meat and leather will still exist but I would predict a more niche and artisan industry - non-electric cars are likely similar at some point. Mad!
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:27 am
"only in America", as the guy in Pretty Woman says (I think) :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
jkbarnes