MKIII Bracelet Half-Links Are In!

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: MKIII Bracelet Half-Links Are In!

Post by Bident »

Just received my half links in the post this afternoon!

EDIT: I just tried fitting the half links and discovered they have a slightly smaller hole, pin, and collar than the full links of the Mk3 bracelets I have for my C65 Trident Diver and my Mk3 C60 Trident Pro 600 (40mm). Thus, the pins/collars that came with the bracelets' full links are too big and can't fit into the smaller holes of the half links.

I can use the smaller pins/collars that came with the half links in the bigger holes of the bracelets' full links. They seem secure, but not sure if it's a good idea.

Any one else with half links have this issue? Think it's a bad idea to use the smaller pins/collars in the bigger hole?
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Just got notice the half links have shipped. There was no charge. Now to see how long they take to get here.
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:22 pm Just got notice the half links have shipped. There was no charge. Now to see how long they take to get here.
Be interested to know if you have the same problem that I have: the pin and collars of the half links are smaller than the bracelet’s. The bracelet’s pins and collars won’t fit into the half links.

Email into customer service but no response now.
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bident wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:52 am
jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:22 pm Just got notice the half links have shipped. There was no charge. Now to see how long they take to get here.
Be interested to know if you have the same problem that I have: the pin and collars of the half links are smaller than the bracelet’s. The bracelet’s pins and collars won’t fit into the half links.

That’s very interesting.
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:08 am
Bident wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:52 am

That’s very interesting.
And puzzling/frustrating. Oh well.
Best regards,
John
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Took some pictures to convey my problem better:

You can see the collars are different diameters. The one on the left is from the full link of the Mk3 bracelet for the C60/C65 (I have both), and is slightly larger than the collar that fits into the half links I was sent:
IMG_7984.jpeg
I can't insert the collars that came with the bracelet into the half links...they're too big. I can however, insert the smaller half link collars into the full links of the bracelet. This presents two dilemmas: (1) is it secure enough given the smaller pin and collar in the larger hole (seems like it is)?; and (2) since I was only given a single pin and single collar per half link, I need more as each half link requires two of the smaller pins and collars. Normally, one would just use the pin and collar on the full link of the existing bracelet that connects to the half link, but as stated above, it doesn't fit (too big).

Here's a picture. I've circled the two connections where you can tell that there is a circular gap around the pin because I used the smaller pins of the half links:
IMG_7981.jpeg
For some reason, the person who I've emailed with since first requesting the half links has gone radio silent. Prior to my email explaining my issue, I received exemplary service. Hopefully they'll get back to me before too long. I am actually grateful CW sent these for free, even if they don't really fit.

I am really curious though if I'm the only one with this problem?
Best regards,
John
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I think pins and collars are awful things

Is there any way you can insert a split pin instead of a pin and collar. I bought a box of split pins in assorted sizes (I have 6mm to 23mm - similar to a box of assorted spring bars) and that might be easier than trying to find replacement pins and collars. If you PM me the size you need with your address, and I can post a couple to you to try out. I happen to have a C7 bracelet in front of me, and the pins I have will go through the link, but it might be tight forcing the bulge of the split pin into the aperture. Anyway, please let me know if you want a couple to try.

I think some pin and collars work by the pin forcing the collar to expand slightly to form a tight fit inside the bracelet link, so the collar diameter is going to be critical, and the pin has to fit inside very tightly. CW ones work by putting the collar in a section of the link with a larger diameter, so that the pin fits tightly inside the collar, and the collar is fixed in the central section of the link. You can see in the picture below that the diameter of the central part of the link is wider than the outer sections.

Split pins work by the open ends of the pin being forced against the sides of the bracelet link at the outermost point.
SplitPin.jpg
split pin and C7 bracelet link

Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

JAFO wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:28 am I think pins and collars are awful things

Is there any way you can insert a split pin instead of a pin and collar. I bought a box of split pins in assorted sizes (I have 6mm to 23mm - similar to a box of assorted spring bars) and that might be easier than trying to find replacement pins and collars. If you PM me the size you need with your address, and I can post a couple to you to try out. I happen to have a C7 bracelet in front of me, and the pins I have will go through the link, but it might be tight forcing the bulge of the split pin into the aperture. Anyway, please let me know if you want a couple to try.

I think some pin and collars work by the pin forcing the collar to expand slightly to form a tight fit inside the bracelet link, so the collar diameter is going to be critical, and the pin has to fit inside very tightly. CW ones work by putting the collar in a section of the link with a larger diameter, so that the pin fits tightly inside the collar, and the collar is fixed in the central section of the link. You can see in the picture below that the diameter of the central part of the link is wider than the outer sections.

Split pins work by the open ends of the pin being forced against the sides of the bracelet link at the outermost point.

SplitPin.jpg

JAFO,

Thank you very much for your generous and kind offer.

I’m going to wait to hear back from CW first (still no reply as of this morning, Pacific time) to see what they say. As nobody else has responded to my post asking if they have similar issues, I am assuming they do not and perhaps CW sent the wrong half links to me.

I have been wearing my C65 with two half links on either side of the clasp and it has definitely improved the fit. The clasp is now centered on the bottom of my wrist and i still have room to expand and contract the micro adjustment. Due to my issue with the half links’s smaller holes/pins/collars, I had to use all four of the pin/collar sets to do so. That leaves me with two additional half links for my C60 bracelet but no pins/collars to use. Hopefully, CW either sends me half links with the correctly sized apertures/pins/collars, or four more of the smaller pins/collars. As I said in my previous post, they seem secure enough, despite the increased wiggle room.

Will post back here once I get this all resolved one way or another. If this pursuit fails, I will most likely try your suggestion, although I’m sure I can buy the split pins relatively inexpensively and not burden you.

Again, I greatly appreciate your response and kindness. You epitomize what makes this forum so wonderful.
Best regards,
John
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

John, I still haven’t received mine yet but I’ll let you know just as soon as I do!

@JAFO, I’ve sized hundreds, possibly thousands of bracelets. Those compression pins are by far easiest to work with, and can work in place of pins and collars. Very kind of you to offer!

In my experience, they’re more prone to failure as the compressed end experiences fatigue and no longer provides a tight enough hold over time, or if removed/replaced multiple times. Pins and collars (the right size of course) are more secure over longer periods of time which is probably why CW chooses to use them. All that being said, either one works just fine and again kind of you to offer a solution in a pinch.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:07 pm John, I still haven’t received mine yet but I’ll let you know just as soon as I do!

@JAFO, I’ve sized hundreds, possibly thousands of bracelets. Those compression pins are by far easiest to work with, and can work in place of pins and collars. Very kind of you to offer!

In my experience, they’re more prone to failure as the compressed end experiences fatigue and no longer provides a tight enough hold over time, or if removed/replaced multiple times. Pins and collars (the right size of course) are more secure over longer periods of time which is probably why CW chooses to use them. All that being said, either one works just fine and again kind of you to offer a solution in a pinch.
Thanks Alex! I hope you don't have the same issue and that mine are just wonky.
Best regards,
John
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Unfortunately, I think this is true across the board. I had the issue too and solved it by doing the same thing as you. Mine seems very secure too. I only added one half link per bracelet so I had plenty of hardware available. I would like to know what they say though. I hope that it is just a case of having to go into the back room and do some testing to verify what we are seeing.

Added note: I also heard back from CS on whether or not all of the bracelets going forward would be supplied with half links included and they said it was still being discussed and no decision has been made.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Bident wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:14 pm
ajax87 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:07 pm John, I still haven’t received mine yet but I’ll let you know just as soon as I do!

I’m part of the CWE Facebook group, someone there just posted that they have the same exact issue you do. Others have posted that they do not have this issue. Fingers crossed that it’s hit or miss, and that I miss! Thanks.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:24 pm
Bident wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:14 pm

I’m part of the CWE Facebook group, someone there just posted that they have the same exact issue you do. Others have posted that they do not have this issue. Fingers crossed that it’s hit or miss, and that I miss! Thanks.
Good to know, thanks again!
Best regards,
John
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

rkovars wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:23 pm Unfortunately, I think this is true across the board. I had the issue too and solved it by doing the same thing as you. Mine seems very secure too. I only added one half link per bracelet so I had plenty of hardware available. I would like to know what they say though. I hope that it is just a case of having to go into the back room and do some testing to verify what we are seeing.

Added note: I also heard back from CS on whether or not all of the bracelets going forward would be supplied with half links included and they said it was still being discussed and no decision has been made.
Thanks for the reply. I tried just using one half link on the inside of my wrist, replacing a full link. It made the clasp much better centered, but I had to extend the microadjust all the way and it was still a bit tight. Adding the half link on the outerside of the wrist made everything fit perfectly. So, I really do need four more pins and collars for my other bracelet. I just wish CW would respond...I'm happy to pay for them and shipping, especially because the half links improved things dramatically.
Best regards,
John
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Update: Customer Service did email me yesterday and said they would look into it. I also emailed Mike France explaining the issue thinking he might want to know about it. He also replied saying the team would investigate. Stay tuned.
Best regards,
John