MKIII Bracelet Half-Links Are In!

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: MKIII Bracelet Half-Links Are In!

Post by rkovars »

My second set has not arrived yet but I will be carefully inspecting them upon arrival.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Lu..
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Lu.. »

thought the jeweler messed up as the pin keeps sliding out after they installed the half link. Then I saw a few of these posts. Perhaps I will use the collar and pin from the extra links that were removed from the bracelet.

Only thing is, need the proper tools since last time I tried I bent the pins and had to go to the jeweler to fix it.

Has anyone just shipped their bracelet to CW and have them just install the appropriate collar and pin to the half link? Annoying that I have to look at my bracelet 2-3 times a day and push the pin in. Afraid that the pin will slip out and I'll drop my C65 on the floor or even lose it....
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Lu.. wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:55 pm thought the jeweler messed up as the pin keeps sliding out after they installed the half link. Then I saw a few of these posts. Perhaps I will use the collar and pin from the extra links that were removed from the bracelet.

Only thing is, need the proper tools since last time I tried I bent the pins and had to go to the jeweler to fix it.

Has anyone just shipped their bracelet to CW and have them just install the appropriate collar and pin to the half link? Annoying that I have to look at my bracelet 2-3 times a day and push the pin in. Afraid that the pin will slip out and I'll drop my C65 on the floor or even lose it....
If you have the same problem I have, then the collar and pin from the extra full links removed from the bracelet will not fit into the half links.

I have not shipped my bracelet to CW, mainly because the hassle of shipping overseas and long wait times. Your best bet is probably to get the right sized half links sent to you. CW is at this point clearly aware of the issue.
Best regards,
John
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Well, they sent me the same size as a replacement. Mine are still holding steady with the smaller pins. Off to email CS again. :problem:

EDIT to add:

Just for grins I broke out my calipers to measure the difference.

Bracelet Links
pin = 1.09 mm diameter
collar = 1.41 mm diameter

Half Links (both shipments)
pins = .98 mm diameter
collars = 1.30 diameter
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

So jealous of all of you. Still haven’t received my first set to even see if there’s an issue. I emailed CW CS, who said Royal Mail can take up to 6 weeks to deliver to USA, and to let them know after the 6 week mark if it still hasn’t been delivered before they re-send.

I’m just past 4 weeks. Settling into the waiting game nicely :lol:
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Lu..
Senior
Senior

Post by Lu.. »

rkovars wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:05 pm Well, they sent me the same size as a replacement. Mine are still holding steady with the smaller pins. Off to email CS again. :problem:

EDIT to add:

Bracelet Links
pin = 1.09 mm diameter

pins = .98 mm diameter
collars = 1.30 diameter
Anyway of checking the inner dia size of the full link vs the half link? does the collar from the full link fit in the half link?

If they are identical, I'll just use the collar and pin from the full links CW sent me with my C65 (they sized it for me when I ordered it) and use it to swap out the ones I got in the half links.
Ω Moonwatch 3861 Sapphire ... Bulova "Mickey Mouse" ... C.Ward C65 Trident ... Movado Esperanza Museum ... Longines Model 2133
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Lu.. wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:44 pm
rkovars wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:05 pm Well, they sent me the same size as a replacement. Mine are still holding steady with the smaller pins. Off to email CS again. :problem:

EDIT to add:

Bracelet Links
pin = 1.09 mm diameter

pins = .98 mm diameter
collars = 1.30 diameter
Anyway of checking the inner dia size of the full link vs the half link? does the collar from the full link fit in the half link?

If they are identical, I'll just use the collar and pin from the full links CW sent me with my C65 (they sized it for me when I ordered it) and use it to swap out the ones I got in the half links.
That won't work. Both drills on the half links are too narrow for the full link parts. The pin won't fit the female end and the collar won't fit the male end. The only way to get it to work is to mismatch parts like Bident and I did which isn't the best. You an see from my measurements that there is a tenth of a mm difference in diameter of the pins so it would seem to me that the smaller pin in the larger hole would be subjected to more wear and tear due to the different angle of force put on the pin.
Jack London
Lu..
Senior
Senior

Post by Lu.. »

rkovars wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:05 pm

EDIT to add:

Bracelet Links
pin = 1.09 mm diameter

pins = .98 mm diameter
collars = 1.30 diameter

That won't work. Both drills on the half links are too narrow for the full link parts. The pin won't fit the female end and the collar won't fit the male end. The only way to get it to work is to mismatch parts like Bident and I did which isn't the best. You an see from my measurements that there is a tenth of a mm difference in diameter of the pins so it would seem to me that the smaller pin in the larger hole would be subjected to more wear and tear due to the different angle of force put on the pin.
Thanks. I know people were complaining about how tight the fit was to remove and insert the pins on the bracelet links. Maybe CW decided not to make it as tight, but also making the inner dia of the half link smaller...what was CW thinking.....could be a 3rd party they used who messed up....

Sucks because the installation of the half link now has given me the ability to adjust the bracelet when my wrist swells up....but now I got to push in the pin all the time...kinda cheapens up the C65.....

I guess I'll write an email to CW to see if they can provide C65 half links that can accommodate 1.41mm dia collars with 1.09mm dia pins like the C65 bracelet links.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Lu.. wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:47 pm
rkovars wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:05 pm

Thanks. I know people were complaining about how tight the fit was to remove and insert the pins on the bracelet links. Maybe CW decided not to make it as tight, but also making the inner dia of the half link smaller...what was CW thinking.....could be a 3rd party they used who messed up....

Sucks because the installation of the half link now has given me the ability to adjust the bracelet when my wrist swells up....but now I got to push in the pin all the time...kinda cheapens up the C65.....

I guess I'll write an email to CW to see if they can provide C65 half links that can accommodate 1.41mm dia collars with 1.09mm dia pins like the C65 bracelet links.
All of the MKIII bracelets are supposed to be the same at the clasp. I'm not sure if the links that are being sent out are for the Sealander or if like you say, the manufacturing is off. They are supposed to fit the MKIII bracelets but they don't. I have another email into CW (along with Bident) and we'll see what they say. I sent pics this time to illustrate the point.

Removing and inserting the pins on the bracelet should be tight. You don't want the pins to work themselves out. The idea is to set it once and never do it again. As an aside, I never found them to be excessively tight.
Jack London
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Happy Friday! My half links came in today!

In the wrong size like pretty much everyone else.

I was able to replace a whole link with a half link (mixing/matching parts) in my SC and it fits better now, but the micro adjust is all the way in. To have it in the middle I’d need to replace another whole link with the other half, thus reducing overall size by 2/3 link. But I don’t have the necessary parts to do so :(

Email sent to CW. Hope it’s not another 5 weeks!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

Emailed CW customer service on Thursday to ask about obtaining a pair of half links for my super compressor bracelet. Replied and dispatched on Friday, in my hands and fitted today (Monday). Faultless service!
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I too have found a difference with the half-links being supplied. As a result of buying a second-hand Dartmouth which came with some half-links (of the wrong size) I've been able to corroborate some measurements.

C60 mk3 42mm and a C65 Dartmouth 41mm come with a bracelet which takes pins 1.09mm, collars 1.41mm (OD). Now, CW originally supplied me with half-links which (luckily) fit both the C60 and C65 absolutely perfectly.

The wrong half links come with pins 0.99mm and collars 1.31mm (OD). I now have one of the wrong half links which I don't need and can't use.

So, question- does anyone know if the smaller half-links fit any CW watch or are they just a bad batch which fit nothing?
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

I think that is still up in the air. CW is sending me out a third shipment after I explained I got the wrong size twice. I sent them the measurements that I got and what I need. I don't know what is going to happen with this shipment.
Jack London
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Third time's the charm for me. Received the new half links (third set) and while I have yet to size my bracelets I can confirm these new half links, pins, and collars are the larger sized versions that fit with the corresponding full links, pins, and collars of my Mk3 bracelets.

Took a long time from start to finish, but I am grateful that CW sent these as complimentary items in the first place. For those in the same boat, I'm sure it will all be resolved to everyone's satisfaction, but it has required a good deal of waiting and patience.
Best regards,
John
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I got three half links sent to me but I haven't had the chance to try and fit them yet.
I also got two half links in the bracelet for my C60 Sapphire but I didn't need them when I resized it.